Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Yes, Mike409, I deem anyone who uses a weapon against any creature smaller and weaker a monster...call me crazy, but maybe if there's a consistent problem with strays and/or other peoples' pets roaming, you should supervise your dog when you let him out. I agree it's not fair, it's HIS yard, and it sucks. Maybe a BB gun is more humane that killing cats outright, as you have alluded, but it's still abusive.

As I said, I agree the owners are to blame. Cats should NOT be allowed to roam freely, it is dangerous to them and to other animals. (Especially when it's Toms who aren't fixed running around!) I wish everyone who had pets would recognize them as viable family members and take care of them properly, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who are negligent and the problem persists.

As to who is to blame for roaming animals' injury & death, it is equally divided between the owner (if there is one) and the human monster who aims the gun.

If you didn't feel guilty about your actions on some level, you would not have been so defensive and angry.

Absolute preposterous. So in your eyes it's okay for people to "use weapons" on Lions and Tigers, but not on poor old Sylvester the kitty cat destroying my property and maiming my dog? That is nonsensical for anyone in their right mind.

You want me to constantly monitor MY dog in MY yard, so that it doesn't get attacked by a feline? More lunacy. I do not have the time nor the inclination to do so. That is the owner of the feline to attend to, not me. I will, at all costs, protect my dog from infiltrators on my property from now on, you can be assured of that. Unfortunately, my dog is a Golden Retriever, he literally would not hurt even a cat aggressively attacking him. Maybe, I should get him a friend, German Shepherd or something along those lines, so he can "supervise" my Golden Retriever.

Your right, I did get angry when the cats defecate on my property and slice my dogs eye open, when he was merely in his own yard, chewing on a bone. You don't like that I'm angry about it, too bad.

You mention I'm defensive, that's a bad thing? More nonsense, get a grip. First of all, I'm defending my property and my dog. Secondly, I defend my action when a "cat person" calls me and others "monsters" for taking care of irresponsible cat owners garbage.

Lastly, I assure you, I have zero guilt on taking care of stray cats. It is time consuming, so from now on I will do it as efficiently as possible. A BB cost less then a penny. Come on down kitties! There......there is my guilt.

One really final thing in this post. Owners of cats, if found, get ONE warning, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:53 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip66 View Post
and it is bothering my dog. Neighbors cats (2) are outdoor cats. They are
coming into my yard (fenced) and fighting with my dog (60lbs). They are
lunging at him, and scratching him and causing him grief. I just want my
dog to be able to roam his OWN YARD without fear of this cat coming in.

What can be done??? Is there anything I can do to keep the cats out??

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Maybe walk over to the neighbor explain to them that their two cats are coming into the yard, and that you are worried that your dog doesn't like cats and that you are worried that your dog may do something to their cats if they come into your yard (lie a little even if your dog may not do anything). I had a similar thing happen (though my dog has killed two stray cats that have come into the yard in the past), and so when the neighbors cat came around, I went over to the neighbor and explained I was worried about their cat and didn't want anything to happen to it if it came over the fence, the neighbor now keeps their cats indoors. Safe for everyone.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Maybe walk over to the neighbor explain to them that their two cats are coming into the yard, and that you are worried that your dog doesn't like cats and that you are worried that your dog may do something to their cats if they come into your yard (lie a little even if your dog may not do anything). I had a similar thing happen (though my dog has killed two stray cats that have come into the yard in the past), and so when the neighbors cat came around, I went over to the neighbor and explained I was worried about their cat and didn't want anything to happen to it if it came over the fence, the neighbor now keeps their cats indoors. Safe for everyone.

That was a perfect solution for you.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Absolute preposterous. So in your eyes it's okay for people to "use weapons" on Lions and Tigers, but not on poor old Sylvester the kitty cat destroying my property and maiming my dog? That is nonsensical for anyone in their right mind.

You want me to constantly monitor MY dog in MY yard, so that it doesn't get attacked by a feline? More lunacy. I do not have the time nor the inclination to do so. That is the owner of the feline to attend to, not me. I will, at all costs, protect my dog from infiltrators on my property from now on, you can be assured of that. Unfortunately, my dog is a Golden Retriever, he literally would not hurt even a cat aggressively attacking him. Maybe, I should get him a friend, German Shepherd or something along those lines, so he can "supervise" my Golden Retriever.

Your right, I did get angry when the cats defecate on my property and slice my dogs eye open, when he was merely in his own yard, chewing on a bone. You don't like that I'm angry about it, too bad.

You mention I'm defensive, that's a bad thing? More nonsense, get a grip. First of all, I'm defending my property and my dog. Secondly, I defend my action when a "cat person" calls me and others "monsters" for taking care of irresponsible cat owners garbage.

Lastly, I assure you, I have zero guilt on taking care of stray cats. It is time consuming, so from now on I will do it as efficiently as possible. A BB cost less then a penny. Come on down kitties! There......there is my guilt.

One really final thing in this post. Owners of cats, if found, get ONE warning, period.
Lions and tigers and bears...oh, my!
You make far too many assumptions, sir!!!
You're the one picking and choosing which animals are "okay" to shoot at, NOT me...and I happen to be an "animal person", not a "cat person". Strays jump into my yard all the time, but you won't catch me letting my 3 dogs out there unattended just because it's "MY" property. I DO have the "time and inclination" to monitor all my animals, (unlike you) and the water hose works just fine for us if we need to scare anything off.

Getting a German Shepard? If you don't have the "time or inclination" to walk the dog you already have rather than opting to stick him in the yard all day, you will have more on your hands than you can handle. GS are wonderful, amazing dogs but they require a lot of training, exercise (not just in the yard) and attention...it is not easy! Considering your low-maintenance attitude toward animals in general, I would say this is a TERRIBLE idea for you to entertain.

In this case, we simply do not see eye to eye on ethics. You are of the mind that it's okay to hurt an animal as long as it's not yours, and I feel it's wrong. Simple as that. Arguing back and forth will not change this fact, so let's just agree to disagree and move on!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,080,065 times
So, let's see it's your yard and you are supposed to sit out and spray the darn cat, and/or have your friends and family urinate all over your own yard (like to see what the grass looks like after that happens) or buy some stuff to keep the cat out of the yard....could get a 'less wossey dog" or I would opt for the bb gun....maybe fireworks. How about a trap and a trip to Animal Control?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
The OP has made it clear that the use of a BB gun will not be considered, so let's drop that particular suggestion please.

Also, a reminder, no name calling. Debate the idea, not each other and do not resort to name calling, it only escalates things. -mod

Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
My neighbor has 3 cats roaming the outdoors, which includes my fenced in yard. I doubt any of the cats have had shots or have been spayed or neutered. I'm tired of the crap in the plants, cats sleeping on my cars, and recently attacking my dog in my yard. Now she won't go outside without me going out too. The neighbor doesn't care what I think about the situation, not a problem for her. You know how cats are! Ok, so I plan to trap them in my yard and take them to animal control in the next county. Why do I have to put up with cats? Do roaming cats have more rights than a dog in her own fenced yard? If the owner won't keep them out of my yard, they are going to removed permanently. Sorry, but my dog and my yard don't want any cats.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:33 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,916,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace2006 View Post
My neighbor has 3 cats roaming the outdoors, which includes my fenced in yard. I doubt any of the cats have had shots or have been spayed or neutered. I'm tired of the crap in the plants, cats sleeping on my cars, and recently attacking my dog in my yard. Now she won't go outside without me going out too. The neighbor doesn't care what I think about the situation, not a problem for her. You know how cats are! Ok, so I plan to trap them in my yard and take them to animal control in the next county. Why do I have to put up with cats? Do roaming cats have more rights than a dog in her own fenced yard? If the owner won't keep them out of my yard, they are going to removed permanently. Sorry, but my dog and my yard don't want any cats.
The neighbor doesn't care what happens to the cats? Why does the neighbor have them, has she said?

I do like what an earlier poster said about how they'd hate for the cats to get in trouble, etc and the owner was good about it. But that looks like it's not possible in your case.

You might nicely let the neighbor know what you need to do and you want to be sure they really don't mind...that kind of thing.

What you don't want to have happen is for the neighbor to throw a fit when she realizes she misses the cats at night and hurt your dog out of spite, even poison the dog.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Mothballs around the border of the yard will keep them away.

A paintball gun is more fun.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Mothballs around the border of the yard will keep them away.

A paintball gun is more fun.
I knew someone that used to shoot the cats in his backyard with a paintball gun! I’m sure it left them pretty sore and bruised but it definitely let the owners know the cat had been shot. He never really said if they came back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs