Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:13 PM

593 posts, read 2,895,590 times

Advertisements

Well... I can tell you which one it isn't.
Maybe we can just narrow it down that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,724 times
Default Relocate my biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
I don't call a state dog friendly where there is no off leash park, trail or whatever for your dog and I wonder about people with dogs, that don't want there dogs off leash, because.....?????? What dog doesn't like to be a dog and run around free with his friends? He/She can only do that in a dog park or dog beach, so give them a break and for that Oregon is the most dog friendly state in the US as far as I know. CA isn't bad either, but often I see people there (I live in Huntington Beach and have family in LA) who don't treat their dogs as dogs, but as people, not so healthy for the dog!
I am selling my land in N. Florida and want to relocate my dog training business to a dog friendly state out west. I have narrowed the western states to CA or Oregon. Starting over will be diffcult which is why I'm tring to obtain all the input I can. I know the change in demograhics will be wonderful for myself, my husband and my dogs. Any suggestion?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
I am selling my land in N. Florida and want to relocate my dog training business to a dog friendly state out west. I have narrowed the western states to CA or Oregon. Starting over will be diffcult which is why I'm tring to obtain all the input I can. I know the change in demograhics will be wonderful for myself, my husband and my dogs. Any suggestion?
Just don't come to San Diego! There is an over abundance of dog trainers and dog businesses here that all have loyal followers. New businesses of that nature rarely last a couple of months.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 PM

43 posts, read 215,719 times
I live in Southern Oregon and there is no issue with people taking their dogs to the beaches around here. Just across the border from California, who as you have already heard allows owners to take their dogs to the beach as well, also hiking paths though the redwoods and up river as well. I guess we just kind of have it all...when it isn't raining.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,650 times
Default Dog friendly state

Living in Oregon (I am sure I am a bit biased) is one of the friendliest dog states out there. We have several off leash parks in the Eugene area where I live and it's great for the dogs to just let them loose.
Dogs are allowed on the beaches here 24/7 on leash. Most people allow there dogs to run loose but keep them under tight control. Our Max (he is a golden) loves to swim in the Ocean, and he can't do it with a leash on. We watch him and what goes on around us closely to make sure that there are no problems.
You can see pics of our children here
[url=http://dancingdogcookies.com/contact_us.php]Dancing Dog Cookies Contact Information - About[/url]

Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
Oregon would be a great place to relocate. I am sure there is room for at least one more. Just be prepared to work at it things are a little slow right now. I know Eugene Oregon is super dog friendly and it's a pretty fun town to boot.
Thom and Cathy
Dancing Dog Cookies

Last edited by 1wife2dogs; 12-18-2009 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: adding text

Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
San Antonio, Texas is on the least friendly for me. Only 2 dog parks for 1.6 plus million people in the city. If you take your dog out, people look at you like you have 4 legs yourself.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,375,584 times
Austin, TX made #2 on the list! I can't wait to move there. It is an extremely dog-friendly environment. Watson is going to love it there.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
San Diego is the most dog friendly city this year, and I hope we hold on to it next year! There are so many events around here where you can bring your dog and many restaurants allow them as well. Between the dog beaches, parks and dog friendly restaurants, it truly is doggie heaven!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
My best friend lives in Denver and she says that her area is incredibly dog-friendly too.
I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with this.
Boulder may be dog-friendly, but not Denver.
There are lots of dogs, especially labs and goldens--but not a lot of amenities.
Dogs rarely run free in Denver. If they do, it is often illegal, and out come the white vans to give you a ticket.
Your dog can't run unless you have a dog run or take a car ride.
Dog parks only appeared after heavy lobbying, and they were in out of the way places with no shade or water. Basically they are fenced-in dirt.
The *one* decent park, provided by the Stapleton subdivision, is over-used and crowded.

And then there is the anti-pit bull legislation.

In some ways, my state of Florida has a long ways to go in terms of dog-friendly legislation. But the tide is turning.
And I can take my dog to the beach any hour of the day.
I don't use it, but there is a beautiful dog park here.
Dogs are allowed at certain restaurants, and we have participated in several doggie events which benefit the local humane society.
Parade of Paws
(Beau is #35)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs