Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times

Advertisements

Wow, so Alaska doesn't have tics or fleas? And California lets dogs in the malls? Didn't know that. Sounds like California and Oregon have the most votes. What are the beaches like in Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Wow, so Alaska doesn't have tics or fleas? And California lets dogs in the malls? Didn't know that. Sounds like California and Oregon have the most votes. What are the beaches like in Oregon?
Yes we don't have snakes either LOL...thank goodness! Alaska is a very friendly dog state. Every other car or truck you see has a dog or dogs in them. I take my little Peke with me when we go into Lowe's or Home Depot and she sits in the cart..she loves it! Problem is we get slowed down since everyone wants to pet her. . Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Alaska doesn't have those things because they'd freeze to death! Nothing beats Southern California winters! It's in the 60s today, and we still go to the dog park in just a sweatshirt. People are always out with their dogs, and no one has to be bundled up like they're going to freeze to death!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
I think Maine is the most dog friendly state I have ever been to or lived in. You see well kept and much loved dogs everywhere....there are dog parks and even dog beaches....off leash off season or early AM and PM. Pet adoptions from out of state are most common.....because successful adoption rate is so high here. It is possible to find houses to rent with a dog.....especially if you talk to land lord and have references. Maine is the most dog friendly state. My vote.

In S. Cal there are coyotes to attack little dogs, and sand fleas and those horrible "fox tail burrs" to get into the pads of their feet and many aptmts don't allow dogs or restrict to under 20 lbs. and far too many poorly bred pit bulls.....same in S Carolina....sand fleas and burrs......and lots of dogs chained in yards.....and "kill shelters". Maine gets my vote.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:41 PM

121 posts, read 292,408 times
Default San Diego and Orange County get my vote!

The city of San Diego has a lovely, large dog park at beautiful Balboa Park. I was just there today and my two German Shepherds had a wonderful time. Later, we walked along the harbor, watching the tourists, locals and cruise ships embark. Everyone was friendly and wanted to pet our well socialized dogs. At Ocean Beach, in San Diego, there is a huge leash free dog beach all day, everyday. There's also one up the coast at Del Mar. It's off leash all day thru the winter months and morning and evenings in the summer months. Those are the only two beaches I know of that your dog can be on, off leash or on. Up the coast from San Diego is Mission Bay with Fiesta Island, it is an off-leash peninsula covering a huge area, several miles in circumference. It's great for dogs! Travel another 45 minutes up the coast and you can walk your leashed dog around quaint Oceanside Harbor in the City of Oceanside. Doggy duty bag stations are stratigically placed throughout the small harbor. Three restruants there (maybe more) allow your dog to dine with you on their outdoor patios. One store always keeps a water bowl filled with fresh, clean water by their back door for the pooches. Continue north to Orange County and you'll reach Dana Point Harbor with a concrete walk around the harbor, doggy bag stations with fancy pooper scoopers, two (maybe more) dog friendly restruants where you can dine on the patio with your pooch. The waitress brought water bowls and dog bisquits to our dogs, we didn't ask, she asked us if it would be alright if our dogs had a treat! Orange County also has part of Cleveland National Forest, which also extends into San Diego County and Riverside County. In an area called Tenaja, (wilderness, you'll need maps and a forest pass) there are some great hiking trails where you can bring your dog. Early spring, late fall and winter are the best times to go, before the rattlesnakes get active and the high summer temperatures kick in. Because this area is lightly used wilderness, I turn my dogs loose when no one is around to complain. I stay away from Santa Rosa Platue because it's a no dogs on trail zone. I stay out of the national parks because dogs aren't allowed on trails in Californias' national parks. There are plenty of trails in Southern California where you can bring your dogs. In northern San Diego County there's the Santa Margarita River Trail. Dogs love the shady trail and cool river water to frolic in. Dogs are supposed to be leashed, but if there's no horseback riders or hikers around, I'll let them off leash for a bit for a good run. My dogs come when I call so I don't run into problems like breaking the leash laws! I don't go there in the summer because of the rattlesnakes and ticks! In the summer, I head to the harbors with my leashed dogs. California is not as dog friendly as I would like. I'd like some off leash hiking trails in the local Southern California mountains above the 4000' level for summer hikes. So far, I've only found a couple of trails and forestry service roads at the higher altitudes that aren't part of a National Park or privately owned within two hours drive from my house. The general rule of thumb in Southern California is, take the trail less traveled, socialize your pooch, train doggy to come when called, (like right now!)get your dogs' annual rattlesnake anti-venom vaccination if you hike in the wilderness at the lower elevations, (specially in summer), use products like Advantix to protect your dog from ticks and don't forget your monthly dose of Interceptor to prevent heartworms and parasites, and bring a brush to get the foxtails out of your dogs fur if hiking in wilderness areas in the summer. If you get the chance, go hiking in the High Sierras in the summer with your dogs. The High Sierras are awesome mountains with lots of national forestry roads and trails at high altitudes. That means cooler summer temperatures, no ticks, fleas or rattlesnakes (too cold in the winter for them) no foxtales, and true wilderness areas for the nature lover. Don't worry too much about black bears, they mostly hang out where there's people, campgrounds and trash to pick through. Not recommended for smaller dogs as they may become dinner to a coyote, mountain lion, or bird of prey. Although we do hike with a Pomeranian, he stays close to us and we keep an eye on him. When I do get the chance to hike in the High Sierras, I have all my wilderness gear with me and camp at a campground, dogs must be leashed at all campgrounds and it's strictly enforced. I go on day hikes with my dogs on forestry trails that are not well used so I can turn my dogs loose so they can run! If I hear people or see people coming up the trail, my dogs go back on the leash and friendly howdy dos are exchanged. If the thunderstorms decide to hang around for a few days, I usually can find a dog-friendly mountain cabin to rent within an hours drive after I leave a twenty dollar deposit per dog, per night. These are a few of my dog friendly experiences from a Southern California native who's lived here for 57 years. I'm looking for an even dog-friendlier place to retire! Know of any? Alaska maybe?!
Fairwinds

Old 03-13-2010, 01:43 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is easy. The State that is most dog-friendly is Alaska.

There are no heart-worms, no fleas, no tics, and miles and miles of wilderness to run around in where there are no other people or dogs.

Alaska is a doggy paradise!
Alaska looks GORGEOUS from its photos, and I love the cold...but I'd be terrified of the bears and the wolves for my dogs. One of these days I have to get up there to see the Northern Lights though

Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Hummmmmm, N. Carolina should be in the running here too. People run their dogs off leash on the beaches, the beaches are, for the most part, deserted, no large hotels, no beach resorts because the beach belongs to the public, it is public domain. It is truly rare to see litter and the dogs are understood to be a part of the family. Most, if not all, larger cities have dog parks and the smaller towns seem to understand that if the people are there, their dogs will be too. You don't see many in restaurants but that seems to be the only notable exception. Well..........and movie theatres. The only reason I would disagree about Alaska, yes it is a truly spectacular place, but, there are critters out there that will eat the dogs as an appetizer.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times
What state would be the ideal location for a Pet Groomer buiseness

Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times
Yeah, I was thinking that Florida is bad with all the alligators. I heard coyotes are bad for small dogs. Bears too. And anywhere with plant life that has chiggers or burs and such. Too many bees on the ground also. Don't want to step on those. Somewhere with low humidity would be nice.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,714 times
I live in LA where it's estimated that we have anywhere from 27,000 - 40,000 strays. In that respect it's not dog friendly but we do have lots of amenities for people who do care for their dogs.

Off topic somewhat---I remember seeing a dog in a French grocery store, riding in the upper part of the cart. 0:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs