Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times

Advertisements

I'd still say Oregon since the OP is looking to re-locate her dog biz. Southern OR doesn't have as much rain, there are dog shows all up and down the state. There are whole books written about the hiking trails that you can take your dog on. And someone asked about the Oregon beaches...loooong and mostly vacant...do an image google for Oregon beaches and be blown away. The water is cold year round and I wouldn't recommend dogs swiming in the ocean, as every year dogs drown there, lots of under currents and un-seen logs - wading is fine but be careful.

Washington is also very dog friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:53 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,745 times
I agree, Oregon is wonderful for dogs. We have a Labrador-mix called Angel, she loves the water and sticks!!!!! We lived in Portland - lots of dog parks, not really nice dog parks though, but still o. k. and now we live in Rockaway Beach and I hardly put her on the leash. Angel is very well trained by me and nobody every complained that she is off leash, on the streets or on the beach. The beach is wonderful, the pacific is cold, but lots of people go in the water in the summer and Angel swims in the ocean too, just not very far out of course. Normally I only let her in the water with low tide or incoming tide. Just use your common sense and you are fine. The Oregon coast is absolute magic.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,743 times
When checking into your best pet state, remember to look into their pet rules. Some states only allow you so many pets combined and all of them must be fixed by 4 months. Also check into the license fees. I was told they knock on your door in CA to see if your animals are licensed. Oregon seemed extremely pet friendly. Just check out Portland, they have parades dedicated to dogs. Vegas, not so dog friendly cause of the heat and the 3 pet limit laws. Good Luck.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Maine is a wonderful state for dogs. People here really seem to value and include dogs in their lives. Lots of places that welcome dogs.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Maine is a wonderful state for dogs. People here really seem to value and include dogs in their lives. Lots of places that welcome dogs.
yeah ... but your winters!! bbbbrrrrrrrrr......

Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Default Winter is a state of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yeah ... but your winters!! bbbbrrrrrrrrr......
Its not that bad.....and my rescue from southern California loves the snow and my little three legged Beagle girl from Tennessee has no problem with the cold. Maine's winters are not a problem for the dogs....and not really for the people either....Winter is supposed to be cold....and many winter days are sun filled and beautiful. And deep crisp snow is fun!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
It seems like Colorado has a lot of dog families. When we lived in Durango we used to joke that when you moved there, you must automatically get issued a Black Lab, since so many people had them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It seems like Colorado has a lot of dog families. When we lived in Durango we used to joke that when you moved there, you must automatically get issued a Black Lab, since so many people had them.

20yrsinBranson
LOL in NH it was golden retrievers in green Subaru Outbacks.....

Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Wow, so Alaska doesn't have tics or fleas? And California lets dogs in the malls? Didn't know that. Sounds like California and Oregon have the most votes. What are the beaches like in Oregon?
No tics, fleas, OR heart-worms. Alaska is the only State in the Union where dogs do not have to be immunized for heart-worms because they cannot catch the disease from our mosquitos. As far as beaches are concerned, Alaska has more beaches than all the lower-48 and Hawaii combined. Why settle for dog parks, when you have millions of acres for dogs to run around and no other human for miles?

There is no comparison, Alaska is the most dog friendly State in the Union. Even our biggest annual race revolves around our dogs - the Itidarod. If you live in Alaska and do not own a dog, you are not considered "normal."

Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Florida. They have more boutiques for dogs than for kids in West Palm Beach. When we went to the mall in West Palm Beach, it was the STRANGEST thing I ever saw..I am from Montana...anyway, all of these older women were pushing strollers in the mall, with little dogs in them, like that was normal. I don't even think that they sell dog strollers in Montana. Every one here has a little dog with clothes, like the dog actually has a wardrobe, and they have the hair done with bows, they wear dog jewelery, dogs even have pedi cures here...This place is spend money on little dog heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs