Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 13,609 times

Advertisements

It all started 4 nights ago my chihuahua that's 3 years old he woke me up by sitting and walking and scratching my face while I was sleeping. He was panting very secretly and shaking so I got up and he wouldn't stop and say in my lap the whole time. Finally around 7 am me and my husband got worried and took him to the vet and she said that he had a bulging disc in his neck and that it's common for his breed since he is not fully a pure bread Chiuhuah. As she attempted to move his head he yellped really loud. So she gave us some anti inflammatory mess some pain medication tramadol and some muscle relaxers and she gave him a heavy duty pain shot. Well we have been giving him the meds but he sleeps for most of the day and he hides in closets and under tables and still pants, I live in a two bedroom apt with two infants well a toddler and an infant. My boy is 21/2 and my little girl is 1 1/2 . I know they stressed him out in the past but he would just go in our room and sleep for most of the day until they went for a nap then he would come out to eat or when they go to bed at night he would rarely ever come out to play while they were still up. I know he was getting depressed but I thought when they get a little bigger it will be different. Plus I walk him 3 times a day but just to do his business outside since I'm a busy mom and my husband works. Well a couple weeks ago we went on vecation to my husbands moms house and she had a bigger home with a big fenced in backyard and another Chiuhuah that was a female and they got along so good and I could tell he was a totally different dog but we were only staying there for two weeks and I was telling his mom how he is depressed and always in his room and he gained 5 pounds on top of it because he sleeps all day and she told me she would be glad to take him but we had him since he was a pup and I had a hard time letting him go and the kids love him. So he went back with us and then not even a week later this started happening out of nowhere him panting and shaking not wanting to eat a thing still not eating I have already spent 400 dollars on a vet and now I have to spend more money. Maybe I should have my husband drive him out to his moms we asked her and she said he can still come. It's a whole day drive there and a whole day and night drive back. It's pretty far we live in the north and she lives in the south. But maybe that will help him I don't know I'm so scared and confused and I don't want to spend more and more money and I'm scared he is not going to get better. As soon as the kids come out he hides. The meds are makin him drowsy and he is not himself. I'm so scared for him and don't know what to do anymore. I just want things to go back to normal, please help me anyone have any suggestions please help and post them thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
My mixed Chihuahua Tippie is having the same responses it only happens when the barometric pressure acts up like right now it started in bed about 4pm when the rains and winds started up when hurricane Matthew passed over us for the next few hours....I put her thunder jacket on no help. Gave her two calm down holistic pills for dogs ....did not help i will holder...
she is panting, shaking, wont leave me alone, squeezes inbetween things, wants to go outside and not come back in....this happens on very winds or gusty days......i think it is related to the weather for her....this has happened with correlated weather too many time......amazing animals ..... i just hold her and burp her like a baby.....

Old 10-09-2016, 09:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasminaB1933 View Post
It all started 4 nights ago my chihuahua that's 3 years old he woke me up by sitting and walking and scratching my face while I was sleeping. He was panting very secretly and shaking so I got up and he wouldn't stop and say in my lap the whole time. Finally around 7 am me and my husband got worried and took him to the vet and she said that he had a bulging disc in his neck and that it's common for his breed since he is not fully a pure bread Chiuhuah. As she attempted to move his head he yellped really loud. So she gave us some anti inflammatory mess some pain medication tramadol and some muscle relaxers and she gave him a heavy duty pain shot. Well we have been giving him the meds but he sleeps for most of the day and he hides in closets and under tables and still pants, I live in a two bedroom apt with two infants well a toddler and an infant. My boy is 21/2 and my little girl is 1 1/2 . I know they stressed him out in the past but he would just go in our room and sleep for most of the day until they went for a nap then he would come out to eat or when they go to bed at night he would rarely ever come out to play while they were still up. I know he was getting depressed but I thought when they get a little bigger it will be different. Plus I walk him 3 times a day but just to do his business outside since I'm a busy mom and my husband works. Well a couple weeks ago we went on vecation to my husbands moms house and she had a bigger home with a big fenced in backyard and another Chiuhuah that was a female and they got along so good and I could tell he was a totally different dog but we were only staying there for two weeks and I was telling his mom how he is depressed and always in his room and he gained 5 pounds on top of it because he sleeps all day and she told me she would be glad to take him but we had him since he was a pup and I had a hard time letting him go and the kids love him. So he went back with us and then not even a week later this started happening out of nowhere him panting and shaking not wanting to eat a thing still not eating I have already spent 400 dollars on a vet and now I have to spend more money. Maybe I should have my husband drive him out to his moms we asked her and she said he can still come. It's a whole day drive there and a whole day and night drive back. It's pretty far we live in the north and she lives in the south. But maybe that will help him I don't know I'm so scared and confused and I don't want to spend more and more money and I'm scared he is not going to get better. As soon as the kids come out he hides. The meds are makin him drowsy and he is not himself. I'm so scared for him and don't know what to do anymore. I just want things to go back to normal, please help me anyone have any suggestions please help and post them thank you
Be careful with Chihuahuas around children. I bet one of your kids picked him up and he fell out of their hands and landed on his neck.

He seems to be lonely, either get him a playmate or give him to your mother and get another dog and always watch the kids around the dog.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:20 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I would get a bottle of Rescue Remedy from your local health food store - it will relax her - you put some in her water or on a bottle - it's also good for people - it's prob. not *the* solution but might help temporarily in the meantime til you have a better idea or til it passes
Rescue Remedy is water. It does nothing.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,051 times
Thunderstorms, even those many miles away, and not audible to the human ear, can make some dogs go absolutely shivering and panting with fear.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,779 times
My chihuahua/boston terrier mix acted just like the posts. Normal behavior super active, fun boy. It was very sudden when he started acting very bizarre. Looking around, panting, shaking so hard, body hot from tension, tail tucked under, acting very obsessive and clingy. This lasted all day and to the morning.

I was very worried and found this post, which resembled same symptoms what my boy was going through. I did his anal gland expression, like mentioned, but it didnt change his behavior.

Did he get into something- poisoning? Is something wrong with him internally? Did he get bit by a bug? I was frking out.

My husband took him to the park to try and occupy him and see if he would act normal there. He was very normal.

Turns out, there was a huge moth in our place, which me nor my husband even noticed. I found it while they were at the park.

It's possible something is terrifying your baby. It may even seem impossible to figure out what it is. I was So close to taking him to the vet, but im glad i didnt have to. All in all, GOOD LUCK!! I hope that is the answer for everyones case.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,368 times
Default Similar to my dog

The very same pattern is going on with my dog. Sometimes she is just fine. Other times, out of the blue, she has these episodes. We have spent thousands of dollars trying to diagnose what’s going on, but all tests come out negative. My vet suggested a vet with a speciality in behavioral medicine. On occasion, it happens during the day. She usually comes out of it if I take her for a ride or take her to a place where she can run. We have not gone to the behavioral vet as we are reluctant to spend any more money without being sure of a positive outcome.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotdog View Post
The very same pattern is going on with my dog. Sometimes she is just fine. Other times, out of the blue, she has these episodes. We have spent thousands of dollars trying to diagnose what’s going on, but all tests come out negative. My vet suggested a vet with a speciality in behavioral medicine. On occasion, it happens during the day. She usually comes out of it if I take her for a ride or take her to a place where she can run. We have not gone to the behavioral vet as we are reluctant to spend any more money without being sure of a positive outcome.

It sounds like it might be an anxiety problem. Letting her run makes sense because exercise can help with anxiety. Also taking her for a ride removes her from whatever is causing her to be anxious.

I would spend the money and take her to the behavioral vet for at least one visit and get an assessment.

If it is anxiety this might help Solliquin® - Dog Behavioral Health My vet recommended it and it's helped with my dog.

Hope you find something that works.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,296 times
I have a tall JRT who also does the same thing, it started about 2 years ago and he has these episodes about 5 times a year maybe more. He has had blood tests ect he has had his spine xrayed but they can't find anything, so we have just been giving him Tramadol and Metacam when it happens, as the vets think it's pain related, but it is just awful seeing him like this, he to is very clingy when it happens and suddenly jumps up as though he's frightened, normally he is a very healthy happy dog. Would love to know what's going on 

Old 12-25-2018, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,198 times
It all started about 3 days ago. My long haired chihuahua woke me up panting and shaking. I thought she just needed to go outside so I got up and took her out. She came back in the house and continued with the panting and shaking. I had to go to work that morning when I left she was not doing it as much. When I returned home she started it all over. She is very clingy and seems to be very anxious as well. I was told to give her some benedryl to help her to rest which didn’t seem to work very well. She likes to stay in my room and doesn’t seem to be too sociable now.. this is not like my dog. She is 9 yrs old and I have never experienced anything like this from her. She has been fully vaccinated all her shots were given in June so I’m sure it’s not from her being vaccinated. She had some diarrhea on Sunday but has not had any since. Please help me to figure this out. I don’t have any money to take her to the vet at this time since it’s Christmas and all there is no place opened anyway. Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs