Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I wish you the best, but from experience, it doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong and someone steps in to help, but if your area is like mine..............

I won't pull a dog from a shelter or take in an owner surrendered dog if it exhibits any aggression. There are millions of dogs annually euthanized in this country that don't have aggression issues. I don't spend time or money to save the ones that do while the others are put down.

While I consider my rescue to be no-kill, if I were to take in a dog that I was told had no aggression issues and I later found out it did and I couldn't correct them, it would be put down.

Whatever Hobbs went through before landing in the shelter - or if he went through something while at the shelter - it may be too much for him to over come. Regardless of your ultimate decision, please don't go buy a puppy unless you're planning on getting in a show ring or having a working dog. I've got a home full of purebred dogs that are virtually homeless and had been on death row. And I'm going back next weekend to get more because they're having to euthanize starting Thursday if they can't make room. Buying a puppy, regardless of how wonderful your intentions, is only making the problem of over population worse.
Appreciated your post, too, especially due to your experience. It's a tough decision with Hobbs. Once the young kitty has been adopted out, the immediate pressure is off and we can take time for a final decision about Hobbs. While I had considered euthansia at one point, my husband is very against it. Since the adult cat bullies Hobbs and Hobbs keeps his distance, it seems their relationship, though not ideal, is stable. Because Hobbs is super friendly with all visitors to the house, it will be very, very difficult for me to part with this dog who has bonded so closely with me. Even if we must give up Hobbs in the end, I will not get another dog or puppy--much to the delight of the adult cat.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
You need to put him down. Why delay the inevitable. At least you can feel safe in knowing that you did not hand off a loaded weapon to someone. The dog has bitten a human recently, drawing blood and leaving a bruise. Then he also attempted to attack a cat, yet has not because of the cat fighting back. Now the dog has attacked a 10 week old kitten unprovoked, enough already. Do the right thing and humanley put him down. Im not trying to sound calous, just saying enough is enough. The dog has more issues than you are equipped to handle, and passing him off to a resuce and having them do the dirty work isn't right. They can use the bed space for a dog whom can be reformed, your dog is way past that, sorry

You may not want to, but you DO.

This dog needs training, not just a "wait and see what he does" attitude, and then to be blamed for what is in his nature to do.

You're talking about punishing an animal for what the owners are ultimately responsible for.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Get rid of the kitten, not the dog. Then hire a trainer to work with YOU AND the dog.

The kitten will have a MUCH easier time of being adopted, and your house has been Hobbes' home much longer.

It's simply unfair to re-home an animal because you didn't determine whether or not your household was an appropriate environment for the NEW animal.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 PM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
I dont understand why you just bought a rescued dog into your home a month ago and then added a new kitten in so small a time frame?
When Ive adopted rescues, it took intense working with them for months and months. One dog never wagged her tail or acted normally for the better part of a year. When I was focusing on bettering her quality of life, I wasnt adding to the brood !
So many dogs wind up dead or traumatized because of the good intentions of ignorant people. I am sorry, but that is the truth.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 AM

459 posts, read 804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
You need anger management...seriously! This gal tried to rescue a dog with issues, which she has done successfully in the past, and you want to give her a hard time because this one didn't work out? What's your take on fostering? Is that cruel and stupid to you as well, because the animal doesn't get to stay in the foster home forever? Unbelievable!

It's not just enough to adopt the dog!!! Going to the shelter and finding a dog you can rescue is the easy part. Actually making it work with your adopted dog is the real challenge. Anybody can "try to rescue a dog with issues". I'm sorry i'm just not going to hand out virtual sympathy hugs when it's Hobbs who is getting the short end of the stick. I don't think she is a bad person, but I think I can say when it comes to dog psychology she might not be as educated as she needs to be!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Thank you for the positive posts, folks. Not surprised at the harsh ones, including private direct messages. This situation with Hobbs has me so upset I can't talk or think about it without crying. I want what's best for this poor dog. When you adopt a shelter dog, you have no idea what it's really like. My last dog was from a shelter but had only one issue which we were able to deal with. We are NOT going to rush out and adopt a puppy and maybe would never have another dog after this traumatic situation. I'm exploring all options right now related to trying to keep Hobbs. Please don't be too hard on me--I'm not a bad person.
I don't in any way consider you a bad person, but you are definately one who has made bad decisions. Rescuing animals has a certain element of being involved with your own ego. After what happened with your dog and your husband, bringing a kitten into the mix was totally egotistical on your part. Admit it and leave it behind..
I think you need to step back and look at the situation and start making some intellectual decisions about what you have brought into your home. There are a lot of issues here and there could be a good outcome for everyone if you are patient enough and willing to make the sacrifice of your own feelings to deal with the reality of the problem.
As for the kitten, cats and dogs both hate kittens because they are stupid, have too much energy, are bouncing off the walls and are a pain in the butt.
Raising animals is like raising children. You have to be the leader so they can be secure. Generally, dogs and cats can live in the same home even if they agree to disagree as long as both animals are old enough to defend themselves and find their place in the picking order..
If you are willing to put a year into these three pets and not introduce any more stress into the situation, you have a good chance of creating a good pet family. If you don't have that patience or dedication, get rid of who you need to in order to make you happy and realize your shortcomings and make a promise never to adopt another pet until the pets you keep have passed.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
You may not want to, but you DO.

This dog needs training, not just a "wait and see what he does" attitude, and then to be blamed for what is in his nature to do.

You're talking about punishing an animal for what the owners are ultimately responsible for.
I don't see how she is responisble for something she had no knowledge of? She adopted him, and was misled about his history with other animals. If an animal attacks a human with enough force to break the skin and leave a bruise, regardless of why (unless it was defending master and property), then turns around and attempts to attack two cats, the dog should be put down. The dog has issues, that hopefully could be addressed, but who is to say the dog will not revert back at some point? And who is willing to take that risk?

Im sorry if that is not what you want to hear, but unfortunalty all dogs can not be reformed, and it is a tough choice to make, but she has to do what is best for the rest of her family and secure their safety first

Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times
Adopted the new kitten for *companionship for the adult cat*. Yes, it was a mistake (not an ego thing!). Have been doing research and talked to a person who heads one of the region's no-kill rescue/adoption organizations. She gave me some excellent info over the phone about working with Hobbs and gave me the names of 2 dog trainers to consult with. I'm giving this my best shot with the training because I do believe Hobbs is trainable and I'm not one to give up without trying. Also reading the book on positive dog training by Pat McConnell as suggested by a couple of posters--what an excellent book!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Adopted the new kitten for *companionship for the adult cat*. Yes, it was a mistake (not an ego thing!). Have been doing research and talked to a person who heads one of the region's no-kill rescue/adoption organizations. She gave me some excellent info over the phone about working with Hobbs and gave me the names of 2 dog trainers to consult with. I'm giving this my best shot with the training because I do believe Hobbs is trainable and I'm not one to give up without trying. Also reading the book on positive dog training by Pat McConnell as suggested by a couple of posters--what an excellent book!
Good Luck to you!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 AM

158 posts, read 493,173 times
Honestly, All those whop think he will be a bad egg I just dont feel this is right. I own a Staffy, they have got ta similar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs