Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
My husband's good with animals; we have no children. We live in the country. Nearest child lives half an hour away and never comes over. No domestic animals close enough to wonder onto our property. The chickens are not free range and Hobbs is not allowed near them. Hobbs is extremely cautious about walking too close to the adult cat who daily demonstrates she is in charge. He's afraid of her! Had an interesting incident yesterday. I was standing with the cat in my arms who suddenly jumped down onto the dog's back as a springboard to the floor! Dog didn't react at all. BTW, can *any* animal be *fully* trusted? I think not.
Can't rep you again so soon, but I think you are doing the right thing. Only you know your exact situation and only you can decide what to do.

In your shoes, I would keep Hobbs, but that's just me, I'm a softy for animals in need. That's why I have my APBT, he was adopted out and returned - saw his picture in the paper in a story on the increase in ssurrendered animals last summer. And he's a sweety to me and my other dogs, interested in my cats but knows my room is off-limits to dogs. Even when they knock down the child's gate accidently, they just stand there and look at me.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-02-2009 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: added for clarity

Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times
Excuse me did someone post that they dont disturb their dog while he is sleeping . well let me tell you I should be able to step on the dogs paw and he not bite me . of course I would say I was sorry to the animal but that animal better know his place and not bite me at the same time . You teach the animal how to treat you just as you treat others how to treat you . Dogs are pack and they learn from other dogs or their pack leader and I am the pack leader in my house ,not the dog !!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,438,218 times
Is Hobbs neutered? If not, do you think neutering could possibly calm the aggression?

Good luck to you.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM

158 posts, read 493,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Excuse me did someone post that they dont disturb their dog while he is sleeping . well let me tell you I should be able to step on the dogs paw and he not bite me . of course I would say I was sorry to the animal but that animal better know his place and not bite me at the same time . You teach the animal how to treat you just as you treat others how to treat you . Dogs are pack and they learn from other dogs or their pack leader and I am the pack leader in my house ,not the dog !!!!
Im not trying to be funny here, BUT i have always been taught to NEVER disturb a dog while it sleeps, you risk being bitten. In hobbs case, you dont know his history and Sun didnt bring him up from a puppy THEREFORE how would you know how the dog has reacted in the past?? He could of been hurt in his last home, you just dont know. Even in a pack, if you observe dog behaviour do you see them not telling the other dog off for being disturbed.. no! Generally you dont. Most dogs only know how to show they are not happy by sometimes using teeth. Im sure if he was repremanded that he wont do it again.. You never know of course.. But he does not strike me as an agressive dog, look at the facts... He doesnt mind strangers, he lets the older cat in the house rule, if he was agressive he would be trying to dominate the cat AND the owner..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM

158 posts, read 493,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
You should feel really sick!!!!!!!!!! Because of you this poor dog is going to have to go through even more stress and trauma because you weren't able to handle him!!!!! It's not his fault you have no idea how to handle a challenging dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clearly, you didnt read the mods message on here. Please, let me refresh you - "no personal attacks"

Dont attack someone for doing what they thought would be ok.
Everybody gets some kind of issue with pets at some point or the other and being part of this forum is not to hurt a person who is experiencing problems but most of all to listen and offer any advice based on your experience..
So basically, if you havnt got anything nice or mature things to say to a person on here, there is no point of you being part of the forum.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 AM

557 posts, read 2,612,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spirited_elz View Post
Clearly, you didnt read the mods message on here. Please, let me refresh you - "no personal attacks"

Dont attack someone for doing what they thought would be ok.
Everybody gets some kind of issue with pets at some point or the other and being part of this forum is not to hurt a person who is experiencing problems but most of all to listen and offer any advice based on your experience..
So basically, if you havnt got anything nice or mature things to say to a person on here, there is no point of you being part of the forum.
Thank you, wild_spirited_elz! There are a few folks here who need this reminder!! We're not here looking for chastisement---we're looking for help, suggestions, ideas, shared experiences!
Hobbs is neutered, but only recently during the adoption process. Had a very interesting and enlightening phone conversation with a dog trainer. He said that if Hobb's tail was straight out when he lunged at the kitten, it meant he was in play mode, albeit, rough-dog type play. It seems the big issue with Hobbs is establishing a clear pack order--in HIS mind, and that I'm the alpha. The trainer said Hobbs does not perceive my husband as above him the pack order or he wouldn't have bitten him. It all makes sense to me but it is a real challenge teaching Hobbs he's at the bottom of this pack! Right now I'm wondering if the adult cat isn't the alpha

Old 07-03-2009, 12:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:
Thank you, wild_spirited_elz! There are a few folks here who need this reminder!! We're not here looking for chastisement---we're looking for help, suggestions, ideas, shared experiences!
Hobbs is neutered, but only recently during the adoption process. Had a very interesting and enlightening phone conversation with a dog trainer. He said that if Hobb's tail was straight out when he lunged at the kitten, it meant he was in play mode, albeit, rough-dog type play. It seems the big issue with Hobbs is establishing a clear pack order--in HIS mind, and that I'm the alpha. The trainer said Hobbs does not perceive my husband as above him the pack order or he wouldn't have bitten him. It all makes sense to me but it is a real challenge teaching Hobbs he's at the bottom of this pack! Right now I'm wondering if the adult cat isn't the alpha
There was a Dog Whisperer episode where there were three large dogs who were out of control, three clueless humans and a cat. Ceaser looked at the situation and decided that of all the inhabitents, the cat was alpha. The dogs got hissed at and scattered and the cat ignored the humans as if they didn't matter.

If you have that show available he gives some wonderful tips and methods on how to train dogs to understand they are not the alpha in terms dogs understand. I'd reccomend it for at least getting a feel for the situation since its so commonly addressed in the show.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Quote:
The trainer said Hobbs does not perceive my husband as above him the pack order or he wouldn't have bitten him. It all makes sense to me but it is a real challenge teaching Hobbs he's at the bottom of this pack! Right now I'm wondering if the adult cat isn't the alpha
Two months ago, I adopted a GSD. When she was chewing a fresh beef bone, she growled at my husband when he walked pass by. I know I am the primary care of my GSD. My GSD didn't respect my husband. So no matter how busy my husband was (a trauma surgeon), I prepared our dog's food and he put her food down with sit/down commands when he was home. When my GSD looked at me for help, I turned my back and ignored her completely. It only took us three days to change my GSD's attitude. Now my husband can do anything to her without being snapped at or growled at. I, unfortunately, returned to my role to be the primary caretaker since I am only at work from 9am to 5pm.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,245,736 times
Our boxer (lives with one of the kids now) is super sweet and gentle. He STILL would attack and possibly kill a cat in a heartbeat if it ended up on his turf. Dogs are dogs. I don't think this happened only because your dog is a pitt. If a dog doesn't grow up with a cat, they are prone to be agitated when a cat comes around.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:43 PM

557 posts, read 2,612,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There was a Dog Whisperer episode where there were three large dogs who were out of control, three clueless humans and a cat. Ceaser looked at the situation and decided that of all the inhabitents, the cat was alpha. The dogs got hissed at and scattered and the cat ignored the humans as if they didn't matter.

If you have that show available he gives some wonderful tips and methods on how to train dogs to understand they are not the alpha in terms dogs understand. I'd reccomend it for at least getting a feel for the situation since its so commonly addressed in the show.
Thanks for the tip on Milan's show. Will look for it on his website. Don't most cats think they rule?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs