Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:13 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times

Advertisements

My wife got bit by a neighbors dog last week while on our evening walk. The owner never apologized and complained we were walking on her sidewalk. So my wife gets to go to the dr. on her birthday, on her day off, and now she's taking antibiotics that give her diarrhea. We have a new practice when it comes to dogs. Avoid them. They are all potentially dangerous.

In reality, those two dogs that attacked yours should be put down. They're dangerous. But I know I'll get flamed by all the dog and cat lovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM

188 posts, read 209,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasys98 View Post
My puppy chocolate lab had an issue at petco as well,I signed him up for training,when we brought him ,there was a mixed dog that was getting rough with my bdog,the trainer kept bullsh*tting with the owner and assuring me they were just playing and that this was normal ,while at class I was listening in to the conversation and I overheard the owners telling the trainer how when they brought their dog to the local dog park other owners were complaining about their dog and that was why they were there for training,when we got home from training ,I went to the backyard with my pup,while throwing the stick playing fetch I noticed a white patch on his jowel ,upon a closer look it was a puncture wound from a tooth with a patch of hair missing,I immediately called petco and spoke with the trainer where she kept insisting that this was normal play between dogs but meanwhile my good looking chocolate lab has this nasty scar on his face while their mutt has nothing,I paid 1500$ for my pup and I hope this nasty scar goes away needless to say I switched his class away from that mutt
I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any prerequisites to becoming a "trainer" at the big box pet stores (except maybe in-house "certification"). I would never bring a dog there for serious training.

That aside, the cost of your dog doesn't make it more valuable than the "mutt" you're so hostile toward. The puncture wound will heal, and assuming there are no lasting behavioral impacts, your $1500 dog will be fine.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM

188 posts, read 209,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We have a new practice when it comes to dogs. Avoid them. They are all potentially dangerous.
I apply this same logic to people. They're way more dangerous than dogs.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
This is why i'm only considering the puppy training classes when we get our new pup. I don't want others in my class with older dogs that have aggression problems they are trying to fix at Petsmart.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I'm wondering what I should do....

Today I dropped off my dog at doggy day camp at petsmart.. The day camp is held in the same area as the pets hotel. When I walked into that area of the store, no one was at the front desk.. My dog and I were just waiting to be helped.. Meanwhile in the next room there were 2 dogs, the owners of both dogs, and a trainer.. They were practicing sit and stays.. One dog was a rotty, the other dog was as big as the rotty, but was white.. probably just a mut..

Anyways, they direct the dogs to sit, then proceed to walk away.. they walk out of the training room and then out of the pets hotel area and into the main part of the store..

Then all of a sudden BAM! Both dogs run out of the training room and jump my manchester terrier.. he's only 20 lbs.. I don't think the dogs were attacking him... but they were pretty rough... Then a few seconds later the trainer, the owners, and a petsmart worker rush in to break it up.. I was trying to, but couldn't separate the 3 dogs...

when all was said and done, my dog had an abrasion above his right eye.. it wasn't like a bleeding wound. it was more like a scrape.. it is the size of a nickel... all his fur was missing... you ever scrape an elbow or a knee? that's what it looked like....

The staff was apologetic... so where the owners.. despite all of this, I proceeded to check him into day camp... I usually never have a problem.. but man oh man it was a long walk home.. I'm wondering if my little baby is going to be all right...

I wonder where I go from here.. Do I just forget it and just accept the fact that my dog will probably have a bald spot on his face from now on? Does anyone know if fur grows back when an area gets skinned like that???

All I know is if my dog did this to a person, he'd be dead, and I'd be taken to the cleaners for a face wound/scar... This sucks..

I pay big bucks for my dog to attend day camp.. I shouldn't have to worry about something like this happening. Also, I don't want the other dogs to be punished.. Again, I didn't sense they were trying to kill my dog.. But they were all fired up, thats for sure... I just think they were put in a crappy situation....

What would you do if this happened to you?
Report it to the manager.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Sadly, many people think their dogs are well socialized when they are anything but. A dog is NOT well socialized because it gets along fine with the other dog it lives with. It is NOT well socialized because it gets along fine with the neighbor's dog it's been playing with since it was a puppy. A dog is well socialized when it can be introduced to other dogs and relied upon to behave in an unaggressive and appropriate manner.

My dog is well socialized due to the countless hours we spent introducing him to new dogs, places, people and situations during his first year. I can trust him around any other dog. Unfortunately, you cannot trust other people who claim their dog is the same. Found that out this weekend when a family member swore their dog was fine around other dogs when she was not. I told my husband we should leave when I noticed her crowding and attempting to dominate our dog (who ignored this.) We did leave, but only after their dog bit ours in the face by jumping him from behind and pinning him down. I hope I never hear my dog make sounds like that again. Fortunately, he's fine and seems much less traumatized (as in not at all) by the event than I was. Never going to ignore my instincts again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs