Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 PM

212 posts, read 699,832 times

Advertisements

From the first dog i owned(40+yrs)i found dogs to be easy to train.Lots of positive reinforcement.A dog hears the tones in voices.Happy high voice for good.Low angry voice for bad.Food rewards are not my thing.A food reward may work temporarily with a hungry/starved dog.Not so much after dinner going for a walk.I however was never faced with retraining so i understand i was blessed.Most if not all dogs with bad behaviour are the result of clueless owners.They really don't know more than a couple of words.So focus on the 10 words of the holy grail.If they don't obey those you and the dog are going to fail.Sit,stay and come are the trinity.If your dog won't obey those commands do you really think anything you say matters? If you can't get your dog to obey those,don't expect him to graduate doggie college.Can the OP have the dog follow those commands off leash yet?I say no.So if the dog/op didn't graduate kindergarden why do you think they will be even admitted to high school,or unbelievably graduate college.OP needs to graduate from the trinity commands off leash.Yes,...they are commands,very unsimilar to a request,...say from a d-jay who thinks your cute.If the OP graduates from kindergarden i will share the elemetary school lessons.Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:12 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
As for neighbors barking dog; I found an anti-barking device that looks like a bird house, available online and the W-place that does the job. I had three barking dogs behind my house and one was a hound, so you can imagine, non stop barking all day. I turned on the bird house and that got their attention and by the end of the day those dogs were as far away from that bird house as they could get. They would occasionally bark but as soon as they did the birdhouse emitted it's sound and they tucked their tails and walked away.
donsabi: By W place do you mean Walmart? I see a bird house one online ans it implies you can get it at Petsmart.

Did this really work for you?
I've seen some online that say they do not work on all dogs, maybe 85% chance it works.
And it can take 2-3 weeks for the neighbors dogs to learn to avoid the sound. Well worth the time and expense if it works. The 30 day guarantee will be eaten up by the training period.

I have never lived in an area where outside dogs have been allowed.
Now, I have 2 caged dogs only 20 feet from my bedroom window and they are caged 24/7 (no wonder they bark) and another one on a chain 24/7 about 30 feet away.
Then there is a 4th dog on the side of the house chained 24/7 and two inside dogs. When those 2 are let out to roam, the other 4 start barking. They bark at anything that walks by, other dogs barking in the night far away, etc.
I've lived here 10 days and had 4 night's sleep. One night they barked from 3:30 am to 5:00 am.
Doctor's say if someone is subjected to the same thing, over and over, day afterr day it can become like torture. Whether it is dogs barking, loud music, someone throwing cold water on you for 2 hours a day forever, etc.
It can affect your health.

I'm not sure why this 20's couple have 6 dogs and basically only two are pets. The outside 4 are given water and food and a roof over their head and that is it. I called the Humane Society and they said they care less, as long as the dogs have roof, water, and food.
With no kids and two inside dogs, I'm not sure why they want the other 4.

The process in my town is this:
1. call Animal Control who enforces the city ordinances on "nuisance" and they send a letter to the dog owners.
2. If that fails, the person affected, ME, bears the burden of proof to tape record and date and time the barking, then call the police who give a warning.
3. If I have to call the police again, they can issue a citation of $250.
4. The next step is to take my case before a judge.

I am closer to the 2 caged dogs than their owners are. And the other people on the steet are a good 100 feet or more from these dogs. I won't find any moral support, and some cities require you to have a 2nd neighbor complain with you.
My Uncle said move my bedroom into the living room. I should not be forced to live like that, and be a hostage in my own home.

The alternative to the citations, etc. is that the owners move the dogs location (they can not since the sides and front on the house are too small and who wants dogs caged in their front yard) or they have to put them all inside, or get rid of them or let ME buy them the Walmart $38 anti dog barking collars.

I was told in another forum, the worst thing you can do is let the neighbors know their dogs bother you, or it might get worse.

I've considered hiring someone to run up to the cage after dark and open the gate and run and let these 2 poor dogs out. They have to live their entire life in an 8x8 cage, the food bowl spills on the ground and feces everywhere. Hopefully the dogs would run for their lives, or the owner would track them down and out them back in their prison.

Another option is I move.

Can anyone tell me the top few best outdoor dog barking devices and any reviews?

Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
I think a better idea is to keep complaining to police and animal control.... call the police every night if you have to .... hopefully the poor creatures will be taken away from these people who do not deserve them..... if they go to a shelter, at least they would have a shot, slim as it is, at being taken in by a rescue......

can you tell if they are some specific breed or another??

Old 08-28-2010, 03:52 PM

I think the two dogs on chains are chihauhau though their color is a dark brown. The two caged dogs are mixed. I put an ad on Craigslist to pay someone to open the cage door and run and my ad got flagged in under 10 minutes. I have had poor success with the police and loud music. I listen to it for 2 hours figuring it will go off soon, then give up and call the police at 1am. They arrive 45 minutes later or the music players see the car lights headed their way and turn it down or off and then I appear to be crying wolf. I heard that the police don't consider dog barking a priority at all. I'm not counting on their help. A device that worked for sure 50% of the time might be better than one that might work 85% of the time or it might not work at all. I'm seeing various ones on Ebay and elsewhere.

Someone said you can burn to CD ultrasound that only dogs can hear and then let your CD player handle the rest. They said kids can burn a certain sound that the teachers can not hear but the students can, some sound that people over 35 can not hear. I find that far reaching but at least the guy mentioned ultra sound which is the basis for these anti barking devices.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
The device doesn't work on all dogs. I have one of the 'birdhouses' and it did work on one dog out of 6 but then she is one who will stand and bark at nothing.

Check out the ordinances in your city or county. About the most you can hope for is the police to visit for the dogs barking late at night or am. In some cities the person complaining has to take the other one to court.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:14 PM

no city or county ordinances on number of dogs, unless you are being paid as a kennel.

animal control enforces the city ordinance on "nuisances" but all they do is send a letter. As stated above, the last legal option is before a judge and I would have to be the one to prove my case.

An electronic device could prevent alot of events that could fail in the end, and at that point, the neighbors then know who is complaining, and who knows, if they pay a couple $250 fines, my car windows might get broken one night. No telling in this area of town.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
howard555,
I found this device to work very well. After I turned on the "bird house" the three barking dogs became very quiet and moved to the furtherest part of their enclosure. It also kept my dog quiet.

The only con is the batteries. The more you have it on the more batteries you use. There is no AC adapter for it that I know of.

BTW, since then I purchased a hand held anti-dog device that emits a high frequency sound that dogs don't like. I had my doubts but in fact this device works very well but it must be used within 20'. All dogs I have used it on move away from me even a pit bull with an attitude. I used it on one large dog and after a few times he avoids me without using it.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:50 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
howard555,

BTW, since then I purchased a hand held anti-dog device that emits a high frequency sound that dogs don't like. I had my doubts but in fact this device works very well but it must be used within 20'. All dogs I have used it on move away from me even a pit bull with an attitude. I used it on one large dog and after a few times he avoids me without using it.
What is the name and where did you get it?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
howard555,
I found this device to work very well. After I turned on the "bird house" the three barking dogs became very quiet and moved to the furtherest part of their enclosure. It also kept my dog quiet.

The only con is the batteries. The more you have it on the more batteries you use. There is no AC adapter for it that I know of.

ok, good....thanks.

Of the 4 outside dogs, the one on the side rarely barks and is not that loud, being maybe 100 feet away.
The other 3 can see each other. Of the two in the cage, the black one is the ring leader of the barkers. He runs around the cage like crazy and jumps on top of the dog house and barks alot and his bark is the loudest.
He tries to jump up over the fence, which has a top, so he can't, and barks while trying to do that. If the device stops this one dog it will be a great help.

I can measure the distance and see, but I think it is more than 20 feet for the hand held device that I could mount in my window.
I've seen one that has a cone on the front and the cone directs the barking to two speakers, both for hearing the barking and sending out the reply. It's on Ebay.

I defintely want one that humans can not hear or I'll get caught.
I can mount it in my window, on my house, or in a tree and point it directly at the dogs.

Here is the 1st one I looked at and there are reviews, but most are for the collar.
Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Product

It says it does not work on all dogs, it may take 2-3 weeks and by then their 30 day guarantee is almost over.
Fairly expensive, if I can get the bird house at Walmart, I may try that and put up a no tresspassing sign in my yard. I doubt the owners of the dogs try to damage or remove it, I'm sure they might like less barking themselves.

I still can not figure out why a couple in their 20's with no kids wants 6 dogs, 2 for inside pets and 4 outside chained for life. I was sad to hear the Humane Society cared less.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 AM

well, music teens can hear in class, and the teacher can not hear seems true:
Mosquito Ringtones - Download the Mosquito Ring Tone Free
(ring tones for phone, not music, my error).

Someone said try that cheap method on the dogs (download and a blank CD), but there are 4-5 kids next door to the dogs. I'd not want them to hear the noise from my house or they tell their parents and I could be called a nuisance. Need a frequency only dogs can hear.

Well, the smallest dog was the leader last night. He barked and barked into the dark, I guess, 1:30 am and beyond, while his caged pals slept.
Still, I think if a device can stop the larger black dog it will be a big help. I'm going to Walmart and look at the bird house device. It is made like a bird house but does not look like one if you look close.
My fence is only 3 feet from their cage. I could drill some holes in my fence for the microphone parts of the bird house device, and then build a wooden cage around it so no one can look over the fence and see it or grab it, and then put no tresspassing signs up. If is won't stop them from 3 feet away it won't work. Other faaaar reaching options are they move away. I live in a mixed racial neighborhood and some of their friends were visiting over the weekend, not a single child in sight for these 4 poor hostage dogs. I don't want to have to call the police or go to court. I'd fear for my property.
The animal control can only send them an anonymous letter, then it takes me to have a tape recording, time and dated, and I call the police. I just moved in and everyone else has been here for years. It should be easy to tell who is now objecting to the barking....ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs