Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 45,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
I'm not gonna yell at my dog not to pee. If she has to pee, she has to pee. If she poops however, I do have a bag and pick it up. Dog urine doesn't actually kill the grass, the reason why you get "burn spots" is that dog urine has nitrogen in it which is what fertilizers have in it, so when a dog pees on your fertilized lawn that's what causes the burn marks. This would only happen if multiple dogs peed in the same spot.

Your complaining isn't gonna get you anywhere, because people are inconsiderate....

I'm happy to see that you pick up after a #2, however, there really isn't any reason for you to even allow your dog to #1 (no yelling req'd either), simply keeping your dog on a leash and off private property should do the trick. I'm sure your pet can hold it until you get to a wooded area or your own lawn.
As to your comment about the grass, you're correct, one accident on your lawn won't burn it, however, I'm sure you are aware that scents are left behind for other dogs to follow suit. Regardless, it's private property. I'm not sure why it's so common for people around here to think they can do as they please even when they are imposing on others. Lack of respect is what it is.
I am complaining/voicing myself, because people obviously need to be instilled w/manners/consideration for one another.

Last edited by canyonite; 09-13-2009 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM

413 posts, read 1,407,641 times
Maybe I have a lack of respect, but I just don't get it. I mean currently I live in an apt complex while waiting for our house to close and I walk my dog in apt complex and don't see these "burn marks" though I know a lot of dogs live here. Even when we get the house, I'm not planning on having my dog pee on someone's yard, but if I'm taking her out for a walk and she happens to pee on someone's yard I'm not going to write an I'm sorry note. I'm just wondering where in most neighborhoods is there a public place for your dog to make it to pee. I'm assuming your neighborhood has one, but since we've just done a lot of house searching some older neighborhoods don't have that. Besides making your dog wait to pee, what other solutions do you have to this problem? Do you personally own a dog?

Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,845,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
Maybe I have a lack of respect, but I just don't get it. I mean currently I live in an apt complex while waiting for our house to close and I walk my dog in apt complex and don't see these "burn marks" though I know a lot of dogs live here. Even when we get the house, I'm not planning on having my dog pee on someone's yard, but if I'm taking her out for a walk and she happens to pee on someone's yard I'm not going to write an I'm sorry note. I'm just wondering where in most neighborhoods is there a public place for your dog to make it to pee. I'm assuming your neighborhood has one, but since we've just done a lot of house searching some older neighborhoods don't have that. Besides making your dog wait to pee, what other solutions do you have to this problem? Do you personally own a dog?
The nearest fire hydrant. I'm sure the dog knows where it is.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,692,805 times
To be a dog owner and allow your dog to poo on another person's property without picking it up is inconsiderate.

To be a homeowner and think that a dog walker/owner can control or puppeteer where their dog urinates is moronic.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,103,330 times
I walk my dog in the street. I never let him pee or poop in anyone's yard. We have enough weeds growing up through the street and near the curbs that my dog is happy enough to pee on them.

That said...IF he happened to pee on someone's yard, I'm with dangeruscurves. I'm not going to fret about it. I suppose if someone called me on it, I would apologize, but luckily it hasn't happened yet. Dogs pee, constantly....it's not a "I gotta go" thing, it's a "I'm a dog and I think this is mine" thing.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
The nearest fire hydrant. I'm sure the dog knows where it is.
Didn't think of that. I'm sure she knows where it's at

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I walk my dog in the street. I never let him pee or poop in anyone's yard. We have enough weeds growing up through the street and near the curbs that my dog is happy enough to pee on them.

That said...IF he happened to pee on someone's yard, I'm with dangeruscurves. I'm not going to fret about it. I suppose if someone called me on it, I would apologize, but luckily it hasn't happened yet. Dogs pee, constantly....it's not a "I gotta go" thing, it's a "I'm a dog and I think this is mine" thing.
Let me correct myself. I'm not going to intentionally let my dog pee on someone's yard as I do find it disrespectful, but if she does she does. If someone caught me on it, I guess I would make a fake apology and then probably curse of what an arse you are when you are out of my sight and go complain to my hunny. Dogs do like to claim their territory so I do agree with you on that.

Last edited by dangeruscurves; 09-13-2009 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: brain fart

Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 PM

If you can't control your pet, then perhaps you should invest in a little training because the pet is obviously pulling you on to the lawns. The problem with your mindset is that you are not the only isolated person who thinks this way, therefore, there is more than one of you doing the same thing (Get it now?).
By the way, yes, I am a pet owner, I'm 5'3" and I control my dog (and he's not some little lapdog). Since you folks seem to be so forgiving, why not post your addresses. I'm sure all of us moronic homeowners would love to take our dogs out for a walk.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM

I can control my dog. My darling told me that you can do a google search and there are ways to make dogs not pee on your lawn. You can invest in a motion sensor sprinkler that when a dog or human walks on it they are blasted with water. If it's that bad of a problem, then maybe you should find some alternatives to fix the problem. Obviously a sign doesn't work. You can even change the type of fertilizer you use and it would prevent the "burn marks" you get. Rather than protest everyone change their ways, do something to protect YOUR yard.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,257,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonite View Post
If you can't control your pet, then perhaps you should invest in a little training because the pet is obviously pulling you on to the lawns. The problem with your mindset is that you are not the only isolated person who thinks this way, therefore, there is more than one of you doing the same thing (Get it now?).
By the way, yes, I am a pet owner, I'm 5'3" and I control my dog (and he's not some little lapdog). Since you folks seem to be so forgiving, why not post your addresses. I'm sure all of us moronic homeowners would love to take our dogs out for a walk.
Are you ****ing serious?!? Yes, people only want our addresses so they can let their dogs pee on our lawns.

I applaud your efforts in controlling your dog's bladder. However, I'm not gonna implement a 24/7 urine patrol service on my lawn.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM

You're clearly not getting it, if you are suggesting that I should have to go through the efforts of making my lawn less appealing to your dog. You would think that alerting people to the rudeness of the act would be enough...clearly, I'm mistaken. What was I thinking?!
I just hope that your new house doesn't appeal to the canine inhabitants of your neighborhood. God forbid they also have owners that can't control them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs