Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
One thing I dont like is when people pick up dog poop, bag it, then sit the back down on the side of the trail/sidewalk. Might as well just not bag it because it would decompose must faster. Sitting a tied plastic bag down on the ground with poop in it is bad.
I wondered about this for a long time, too. I finally figured out that they do this if the dog poops on the way up the trail, then they collect it on the way back down. Around here most of our hiking trails go up a mountain, and there are only trash bins at the trailheads usually. So rather than carry the bag o' poo for the entire hike, one puts it off to the side. Of course, a LOT of folks seem to forget about it on the way back down...sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest
Glad I don't have this problem...my "front yard" If you look very carefully on the right side of the photo you will see a sliver of grey and that is the road that runs in front of my property. This pano shot shows only a portion of my front yard.
I'm jealous!!

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know how to stop a dog from peeing when you walk him, a male dog anyhow.
Easy - walk faster, and don't stop when he wants to mark. Teach a "go potty" or "go sniff" command, and only let them do their business when released, every few blocks or so. Walking is walking, and pee & sniff time is pee & sniff time. I don't take my own advice with my dog, but if I had a male who had to pee on every single tree, that's what I'd do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 AM

110 posts, read 348,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
I wondered about this for a long time, too. I finally figured out that they do this if the dog poops on the way up the trail, then they collect it on the way back down. Around here most of our hiking trails go up a mountain, and there are only trash bins at the trailheads usually. So rather than carry the bag o' poo for the entire hike, one puts it off to the side.

Good example of why some people need to stop getting so worked up about what the next guy( or dog) is doing.

This happened to me recently. I took the dog for a walk on a hiking trail. About 1/4 mile in ( and away from the nearest garbage can) the dog pooped. Because there are no trash disposal areas anywhere on the trail but at the head, I bagged it and left it a couple a meter or two off the side of the trail, intending to pick it up and throw it on the trash on the way back. ( The trail is wide so it would not have affected the other hikers or impacted passage). By the time I got back ( about 45 minutes later), the bag was gone. I guess someone else had decided that the bag had been left by an irresponsible owner and it was up to them to do the cleanup.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM

80 posts, read 151,570 times
I think the problem comes in when you have high traffic areas with lots of people who don't pick the bag up on their way back down. It becomes obvious when you use a trail daily which bags have been forgotten, and unfortunately, people who don't want dogs perusing a trail take notice and complain about it. It's an ongoing battle around here.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,239,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In my neighborhood, by the time we get to a part that's not someone's yard, we've already passed 30 houses...and Rusty's peed on at least 20 of their yards. I keep him on a leash and on the sidewalk, but our sidewalks have the street on one side, with lots of cars parked in it. I'm sure Rusty would be happy to pee on the car tires, but to me that seems worse than the edge of someone's yard.
Town planning in America is different to the UK I can appreciate it's not just difficult for you guys but impossible.

We have houses on one side of the public footpath/sidewalk and a grass verge to the other. However people don't want to be getting out of their cars and stepping straight into a pile of doggy do. I always clear Duke's parcels up but not everyone does. It isn't a pleasant job but necessary.

I doubt anyone would complain about a dog's wee wee, its mainly doggy do dos people complain about. I have several piles of the stuff outside my front gate. Now I object to that.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
i have no problem with pee when its a leg lift right at the edge...but when people let (and even encorage) their dogs right into the middle of someones front yard, or through flowerbeds ect...thats rude, inconsiderate and tresspassing.

and poop...for heavens sake, why is it so hard for people to pick it up...i dont want to step in your dogs poop any more than i want to step in my own dogs poop...

Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
I think the problem comes in when you have high traffic areas with lots of people who don't pick the bag up on their way back down. It becomes obvious when you use a trail daily which bags have been forgotten, and unfortunately, people who don't want dogs perusing a trail take notice and complain about it. It's an ongoing battle around here.
Same thing overall, here, which has nothing to do with trail hiking, just with walking my dog around an average suburban neighborhood. We have a variety of neighborhood dogs who are either allowed to run at large, are talented escape artists, and/or whose owners simply don't believe, apparently, in picking up poo.

So, when I walk my (leashed) dog around the neighborhood (picking up poop, as I always do), I still get the stink-eye from certain neighbors, who seem to not acknowledge that if my dog is on a leash, and I'm clearly picking up the poop with grandiose flourish (and you'd better believe I flourish those poop bags), it's not my dog and I who are responsible for the pile of crap you always find in the middle of your lawn. Come on. I see which dogs are always out...I'm sure you do, too.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 AM

662 posts, read 1,645,179 times
Those of you who get angry about dogs using the bathroom on the edge of your property at the street: keep in mind that not every dog walker is the pet owner!

I supplement my income by working as a professional pet sitter. I'm doing the best I can to keep the dogs off lawns, being a homeowner myself. And since it's my job, I carry my own bags and always pick up the poo. But some of my clients have unruly, untrained dogs and sometimes it's hard to control where they go when walking on a sidewalk next to a busy street. Especially when walking a new/unfamiliar dog, or a puppy, since we aren't familiar with their habits and personality yet. Since I can't work with them regularly, my training attempts seldom work well. One of my coworkers, on a training day, told me some horror stories about people screaming at her in certain neighborhoods for dogs peeing on their lawns. I would have been an emotional wreck after hearing what some of them said to her. People angrily yelling at you when you're just doing your best to perform your work, is tough to take on any job.

I would love to live in a world where civility goes both ways: instead of yelling at the dog walker and seeking revenge, be kind and talk to the person and get their story before assuming they are just being lazy. If it does turn out to be an irresponsible owner, remember it's easier to catch flies with honey!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM

99 posts, read 531,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Those of you who get angry about dogs using the bathroom on the edge of your property at the street: keep in mind that not every dog walker is the pet owner!

I supplement my income by working as a professional pet sitter. I'm doing the best I can to keep the dogs off lawns, being a homeowner myself. And since it's my job, I carry my own bags and always pick up the poo. But some of my clients have unruly, untrained dogs and sometimes it's hard to control where they go when walking on a sidewalk next to a busy street. Especially when walking a new/unfamiliar dog, or a puppy, since we aren't familiar with their habits and personality yet. Since I can't work with them regularly, my training attempts seldom work well. One of my coworkers, on a training day, told me some horror stories about people screaming at her in certain neighborhoods for dogs peeing on their lawns. I would have been an emotional wreck after hearing what some of them said to her. People angrily yelling at you when you're just doing your best to perform your work, is tough to take on any job.

I would love to live in a world where civility goes both ways: instead of yelling at the dog walker and seeking revenge, be kind and talk to the person and get their story before assuming they are just being lazy. If it does turn out to be an irresponsible owner, remember it's easier to catch flies with honey!
It really doesn't matter who owns the dog, its still trespassing. I work at a vet clinic and walk patients every day. Somehow, I manage to keep them from taking dumps on people lawns. Its about having control of the animal, even if they are unruly. If they have to go bad enough, they will pee on concrete. If not, its just them doing what they want and you letting them get away with it. Even if you are not the owner, you are still responsible for the pet. If you can't keep a dog off of someones property, I suggest a new career.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Where I live, the strip of grass in between the sidewalk and the street ISN'T a homeowner's property, and ISN'T a part of their lawn. Some appear to think it is, though. Their problem, not mine. And, yes, I pick up the poop from there, too, just as I do in the parks, dog park or otherwise. Not gonna worry about pee, however, any of those places.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM

662 posts, read 1,645,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown2snowdog View Post
It really doesn't matter who owns the dog, its still trespassing. I work at a vet clinic and walk patients every day. Somehow, I manage to keep them from taking dumps on people lawns. Its about having control of the animal, even if they are unruly. If they have to go bad enough, they will pee on concrete. If not, its just them doing what they want and you letting them get away with it. Even if you are not the owner, you are still responsible for the pet. If you can't keep a dog off of someones property, I suggest a new career.
I'm only advocating politeness, civility, and manners. My point was to not assume everyone is out to get you.

Working at a vet clinic you probably don't have to walk dogs in strange, unfamiliar neighborhoods and in all sorts of settings, from condos on busy urban streets to pretty, landscaped side streets. However, perhaps you are 100% perfect at your job and never make a mistake or have anything unexpected and out of your control happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs