Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,716,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
My dog was a sweet heart as well. He is the only one I used the knee method with. I never thrust my knee into him, I just brought my knee up to block him from jumping on me. As for your comment about your kid running into your hand, I don't get the connection.

I'm sorry for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,963,011 times
I don't like raising the knee, but I don't know ANY legitimate trainer who likes raising the knee so much that the dog goes flying across the room. You're right, that's cruel.

You shouldn't need to raise the knee. Turning around and ignoring the dog when it jumps is sufficient in 99% of cases. Only pay attention to the dog when it has all four feet on the ground, and soon it will realize that all the benefits in life are received by not jumping. Treats, pets, food, going outside--none of those things should be given when the dog is jumping.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't like raising the knee, but I don't know ANY legitimate trainer who likes raising the knee so much that the dog goes flying across the room. You're right, that's cruel.

You shouldn't need to raise the knee. Turning around and ignoring the dog when it jumps is sufficient in 99% of cases. Only pay attention to the dog when it has all four feet on the ground, and soon it will realize that all the benefits in life are received by not jumping. Treats, pets, food, going outside--none of those things should be given when the dog is jumping.

Yes yes

Old 01-31-2010, 06:26 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,927,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm sorry for you

Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 PM

202 posts, read 485,590 times
Quote:
My dog was a sweet heart as well. He is the only one I used the knee method with. I never thrust my knee into him, I just brought my knee up to block him from jumping on me. As for your comment about your kid running into your hand, I don't get the connection.

Because some people will think that just about anything short of giving a dog hugs and kisses is cruel.

I also don't see a problem with merely raising the knee up to block the dog. Sending the dog, espescially a young pup, flying across the room is quite the other thing, and way overboard. I too have used the raised knee method, and the dog was never hurt. And it has always worked for me as the dog eventually caught on.

If you get 3 trainers in a room, you would probably get three different answers on how to handle any particular issue. So I try not to be too judgemental.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,927,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
Because some people will think that just about anything short of giving a dog hugs and kisses is cruel.

I also don't see a problem with merely raising the knee up to block the dog. Sending the dog, espescially a young pup, flying across the room is quite the other thing, and way overboard. I too have used the raised knee method, and the dog was never hurt. And it has always worked for me as the dog eventually caught on.

If you get 3 trainers in a room, you would probably get three different answers on how to handle any particular issue. So I try not to be too judgemental.
Thanks!

I agree, raising your knee up to block the dog as opposed to raising your knee and shoving it into the dog is not the way to do it. I've done the turn and ignore the dog with my bulldog, who by the way is very short, but when you have a 90 lb shepherd jumping on your back, that can get a little dangerous.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,064,325 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I agree, raising your knee up to block the dog as opposed to raising your knee and shoving it into the dog is not the way to do it. I've done the turn and ignore the dog with my bulldog, who by the way is very short, but when you have a 90 lb shepherd jumping on your back, that can get a little dangerous.
If a 90 pound dog doesn't learn not to jump up on people... it's dangerous for the dog, too.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-01-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
If a 90 pound dog doesn't learn not to jump up on people... it's dangerous for the dog, too.
Just to avoid confusion this is a six month old puppy so still in a learning phase. Drastic measures are not yet needed so don't need to consider this dangerous and call in the SWAT team

Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,468,090 times
Wouldn't you like to knee him in his you know whats!!! LOL Such a loser. The dog will only know the discipline it's taught. Simple as that. They don't come up with dog etiquette on their own for Pete's sake! What a bonehead your boss is.

Quote:
Oh just to clarify the owners do not knee the dog it is the mother of the daughter who owns the dog and her boyfriend (my boss) that takes it upon themselves to knee the dog when the visit. It doesn't happen often but it seems like me going over a persons house and taking it upons myself to smack their kid in the face Nobody would think that was appropriate. My boss thinks that kneeing a dog in the chest is what is done and fully in his rights and that he "needs" to do this since the dog has no discpline. I'm just really pissed off and in fact I see red every time he and his girlfriend (these are adults in their 40's) tell me how much they hate this dog. UGGGGGGG

Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,064,325 times
Quote:
Just to avoid confusion this is a six month old puppy so still in a learning phase. Drastic measures are not yet needed so don't need to consider this dangerous and call in the SWAT team
Relax !!! ...

If you read my previous post above, I don't agree with what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
You're right.

Gently raising the knee, a hand signal and a no (all at the same time) is effective if a dog is a stubborn jumper.
I have had dogs that nothing else works with.

Jumping up is play to dogs. It means they love you... it should not be rewarded with aggression.

You don't want to ever send a dog flying... especially not a ....

Any dog,.... ESPECIALLY her breed of puppy should be in obedience training -- with a trainer who uses positive method training with treats and clickers.
A breed, like this one, needs to be in much more than just the basic class.

It sounds like the owner of the dog would learn a lot in training class.
My last dog was a 90 pound dog that was a stubborn jumper. I had some elderly neighbors that were terrified that he might knock them down.
If that would have occurred, my dog and I could have been in serious trouble.

Unfortunately, I learned first hand what it was to be unfairly treated by the legal system on an animal issue that common sense would have never brought to court.
My learning curve has changed drastically due to that experience which literally financially devastated me. Having gone through that, my view of many dog issues will never be the same. IMO - You have to consider the seriousness of what a dog's behavior is in terms of possible consequence... and you, as a responsible dog owner, have to find a method that works to break that behavior.

If you read other posts of mine you'll see that I'm a positive - clicker - treat train type.
I don't think you have to worry about my advice -- even though I do defend Cesar.

As someone else said, "What the OP describes is wrong on many levels."

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-02-2010 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs