Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times

Advertisements

Oh this just makes me so mad One argument I just seem to have (with my boss ...no less) is kneeing a dog in the chest when it jumps up. His girlfiriend has a 23 year old daughter that bought her husband a pit bull puppy before he went to war in Iraq. Huge issue because he was against them spending the money and he hates Pit bulls...so now that the puppy is six months old it does jump up. My boss seems to feel that every time he and his girlfriend go to visit it is his duty to knee this puppy in the chest and send it sprawling and complain that the puppy is not discplined....acccjjj! Does this bother anybody else or am I just being over sensitive about dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Yes, this is a distressing, dysfunctional situation. The couple cannot agree on whether to get a dog so the girlfriend does so anyway and now, the boyfriend (your boss) is taking his missplaced anger out on the puppy. I doubt he would be treating it that way if he had wanted it. The dog should be re-homed. What he is doing is abuse, not discipline.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,901 times
That is just wrong on so many levels.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
I think your boss's girlfriend needs to take one over the other...i.e ditch your boss and take the dog. If my boyfriend kneed my dog in the chest he'd have hell to pay.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:13 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,204 times
You're not supposed to send the dog sprawling with the knee.
The idea is that when the dog jumps up he will encounter the knee and finds it uncomfortable. Simply raise the knee - it is not an offensive measure, but a guard.

The dog should be taken to obedience classes.
Obedience certificates should be required or your dog license becomes $100.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
It's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. For innumerable reasons.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
You're not supposed to send the dog sprawling with the knee.
The idea is that when the dog jumps up he will encounter the knee and finds it uncomfortable. Simply raise the knee - it is not an offensive measure, but a guard.

The dog should be taken to obedience classes.
Obedience certificates should be required or your dog license becomes $100.
Thank you. Your right, it shouldn't be hard in the chest, but the raised knee is very effective in breaking problem jumpers. It should never be done in an abusive manner, just to discourage the jumping. Any dog should attend obedience, classes at least a basic class.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:43 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times
Oh just to clarify the owners do not knee the dog it is the mother of the daughter who owns the dog and her boyfriend (my boss) that takes it upon themselves to knee the dog when the visit. It doesn't happen often but it seems like me going over a persons house and taking it upons myself to smack their kid in the face Nobody would think that was appropriate. My boss thinks that kneeing a dog in the chest is what is done and fully in his rights and that he "needs" to do this since the dog has no discpline. I'm just really pissed off and in fact I see red every time he and his girlfriend (these are adults in their 40's) tell me how much they hate this dog. UGGGGGGG

Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Oh just to clarify the owners do not knee the dog it is the mother of the daughter who owns the dog and her boyfriend (my boss) that takes it upon themselves to knee the dog when the visit. It doesn't happen often but it seems like me going over a persons house and taking it upons myself to smack their kid in the face Nobody would think that was appropriate. My boss thinks that kneeing a dog in the chest is what is done and fully in his rights and that he "needs" to do this since the dog has no discpline. I'm just really pissed off and in fact I see red every time he and his girlfriend (these are adults in their 40's) tell me how much they hate this dog. UGGGGGGG
Then the owners need to make sure that the dog does not come into contact with these people, which shouldn't be difficult. I am more than shocked that the owners are still allowing them to do this. Parent or not, if my mother or father ever did this TO MY PUPPY, I would knee them back as hard as I could--probably even worse--and have nothing more to do with them, same as if they had done it to my child.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,748 times
How is NOT jumping on the public being handled. It seems that no one is training this dog and that someone has to unless you like to have dogs jump on you. Wrong on so many levels, maybe....but not so much different than letting your kid pee on someone else's hardwood floors. How is the kid supposed to know he isn't allowed to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs