Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Oh this just makes me so mad One argument I just seem to have (with my boss ...no less) is kneeing a dog in the chest when it jumps up. His girlfiriend has a 23 year old daughter that bought her husband a pit bull puppy before he went to war in Iraq. Huge issue because he was against them spending the money and he hates Pit bulls...so now that the puppy is six months old it does jump up. My boss seems to feel that every time he and his girlfriend go to visit it is his duty to knee this puppy in the chest and send it sprawling and complain that the puppy is not discplined....acccjjj! Does this bother anybody else or am I just being over sensitive about dogs
I don't see any problem with meeting a jumping dog with a raised knee. This is a completely neutral action and in no way constitutes abuse.

Someone could make it abusive, but I honestly don't understand why anyone would have such a negative knee-jerk to the practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't see any problem with meeting a jumping dog with a raised knee. This is a completely neutral action and in no way constitutes abuse.

Someone could make it abusive, but I honestly don't understand why anyone would have such a negative knee-jerk to the practice.

Would you ever consider having your knee come in contact with somebodys child in the chest? I guess the fact that you don't even get the fact that this is so wrong is what makes it wrong

Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,140 times
If he ever touches your hand or puts a hand on your shoulder in a friendly way, knee him in the balls and see what he thinks of that. I think his treatment of the dog is totally inappropriate.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
If he ever touches your hand or puts a hand on your shoulder in a friendly way, knee him in the balls and see what he thinks of that. I think his treatment of the dog is totally inappropriate.

I think you understand me

Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
Quote:
Would you ever consider having your knee come in contact with somebodys child in the chest? I guess the fact that you don't even get the fact that this is so wrong is what makes it wrong
Your post was about a dog, not children. I really don't understand why people compare training issues with dogs to doing the same to a child. They are not the same.

Although if a child kept jumping on me then I might consider it.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
No, I don't think I can see myself kneeing someone's child in the chest but I can't think of any situation in which I would issue a click and give a child a piece of chicken either. Kids and dogs are not the same. That said, I'm not polite enough to allow someone else's kid to antagonize me in an unacceptable way either (although that would never lead to any sort of physical correction). That is the same between dogs and kids. Dogs have to live in human homes and by human rules, not the other way around.

Quote:
Why don't we try to keep our analogies and comparisons in the "apples to apples" realm, shall we?

Now, if you would like to step back into reality for a moment we can have a discussion about the differences between an out of control dog jumping up on guests in your home and a human placing his hand on your shoulder in a friendly way, then we can discuss the differences between a bump to the sternum and a knee to the balls.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 02-03-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Why don't we try to keep our analogies and comparisons in the "apples to apples" realm, shall we?

Now, if you would like to step back into reality for a moment we can have a discussion about the differences between an out of control dog jumping up on guests in your home and a human placing his hand on your shoulder in a friendly way, then we can discuss the differences between a bump to the sternum and a knee to the balls.

I was actually responding to the OP, whose post indicated the boss used his knee to "send the dog sprawling." Sending a dog sprawling can cause injury to the dog. It also sounds like the boss takes pleasure in being a bully toward a helpless animal. Why else would he be bragging about it? I have two large dogs, and they are both trained so they don't jump on people. Believe it or not, this was accomplished with positive reinforcement,rather than "sending them sprawling" with my knee. The boss "sending the dog sprawling" isn't going to teach the dog manners, and it could very well cause the dog to break a leg. There is a difference between using a knee to block a jump and sending a dog sprawling. Perhaps you should go back and read the original post, as OP didn't indicate the boss used his knee to block, rather that he used his knee to "send the dog sprawling."

Now, if you think I am really suggesting the OP knee the boss in the balls (although he and anyone else who is cruel to animals deserves it), you are the one who needs to step back into reality. I really don't feel the need to discuss anything further with you re: sending dogs sprawling with a knee to the chest, but hey, thanks for offering.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I was actually responding to the OP, whose post indicated the boss used his knee to "send the dog sprawling." Sending a dog sprawling can cause injury to the dog. It also sounds like the boss takes pleasure in being a bully toward a helpless animal. Why else would he be bragging about it? I have two large dogs, and they are both trained so they don't jump on people. Believe it or not, this was accomplished with positive reinforcement,rather than "sending them sprawling" with my knee. The boss "sending the dog sprawling" isn't going to teach the dog manners, and it could very well cause the dog to break a leg. There is a difference between using a knee to block a jump and sending a dog sprawling. Perhaps you should go back and read the original post, as OP didn't indicate the boss used his knee to block, rather that he used his knee to "send the dog sprawling."

Now, if you think I am really suggesting the OP knee the boss in the balls (although he and anyone else who is cruel to animals deserves it), you are the one who needs to step back into reality. I really don't feel the need to discuss anything further with you re: sending dogs sprawling with a knee to the chest, but hey, thanks for offering.
Clearly I misunderstood and I regret the "step back into reality" dig. I thought you were suggesting that someone knee me in the balls, which, I'm sure you can understand, seemed to be an invitation to mutual combat via internet.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Clearly I misunderstood and I regret the "step back into reality" dig. I thought you were suggesting that someone knee me in the balls, which, I'm sure you can understand, seemed to be an invitation to mutual combat via internet.

I actually didn't read any of the other responses, just replied to the OP, so I wasn't responding to your post. No, you seem like an animal-lover, and I definitely don't think animal lovers should be kneed in the balls, so I wasn't suggesting you be kneed in the balls Hope my response didn't seem too harsh, just wanted to be clear, because it can be difficult to gauge the tone from forum messages.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Bottom line for me on this particular thread is that the owner of the dog should tell mom that her boyfriend is not welcome in her home.

No one has the right to abuse or mistreat another person's child, pet or personal property.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-03-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs