Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times

Advertisements

Another way to discourage jumping without kneeing (my trainer told me this) if turning and ignoring isn't working, is to walk towards or into the dog. You will be taking its space, and the dog will get down on its own. Crowd it out! The problem with using a knee is so many turn it into an abusive action, like the person in the OP's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
Another way to discourage jumping without kneeing (my trainer told me this) if turning and ignoring isn't working, is to walk towards or into the dog. You will be taking its space, and the dog will get down on its own. Crowd it out! The problem with using a knee is so many turn it into an abusive action, like the person in the OP's post.

I like that. I was talking to a young man today that had a young Boxer that did a bit of jumping and he simply did something like that as well. He remained totally calm and so did the dog. I was very happy to see that there was no kneeing involved at all Kneeing in the chest is just an over reaction and there is nobody for anybody to knee a dog, or a child or an adult.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
Kneeing a dog in the chest is taught as a self defense technique against an "aggressive" dog. Properly placed and with sufficient force, this manoeuvre can actually stop a dogs heart. Never take the liberty of physically disciplining someone else's dog (or any other member of their family). This is sure to escalate into a very uncomfortable situation for everyone. Turn your back on the dog, ignore it and don't make eye contact. Make sure to acknowledge it after it has calmed down. Just like us, dogs don't like rejection and will quickly change their behaviour to gain your approval.

Last edited by Scijapophis; 01-13-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
We used to beg visitors to lift their knee to our lab's chest when he would jump up. We trained him to not jump on us that way. But since visitors wouldn't do it, he jumped on everyone but us. You shouldn't knee them and send them across the floor. It's just lifting your knee in the way. And I don't care whose dog I encounter, if it jumps up on me, I'll lift my knee.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
Does your boss show his employees any over the top discipline actions at work? If not, the only thing you can do is let him know you don't want to hear about how he abuses dogs and to keep it to himself, that you find it to be deplorable and ill advised actions. Unless you also have access to the daugher and her dog to maybe advise her there isn't anything you can do about this even in the slightest way, anyway.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
The dog is now two and a half years old. Hopefully the problem has been fixed.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
Only an inconsiderate owner would let their dog jump up on their visitors. Accompany the dog to the door and have control of it when your guests arrive or put it in the yard if you're too busy. Many smaller dogs like Shih Tzu's are often the worst for this behaviour. Even more annoying is when they persistently paw at your legs. Go down on one knee to greet them and hook your thumb under their collar so you can prevent them from jumping up on you.

Last edited by Scijapophis; 01-14-2012 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its does not look nice it does not look kind but unless u train that dog he is guna train u. facinating part of americans. they train their dogs just like they do their kids. they dont.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:35 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
Be sure and tell that boss of yours, when you are telling him how dispicable his actions are...explain that is EXACTLY the means for making pit bulls mean and untrusting of people. They are made mean. Should your boss eventually get attacked by this pit bull....and he will, he's going to blame the dog and the dog will be the one that loses.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We used to beg visitors to lift their knee to our lab's chest when he would jump up. We trained him to not jump on us that way. But since visitors wouldn't do it, he jumped on everyone but us. You shouldn't knee them and send them across the floor. It's just lifting your knee in the way. And I don't care whose dog I encounter, if it jumps up on me, I'll lift my knee.
X2

Turing your back just gets you foot prints on your back.
Turing your back is a submissive action on your part. Your telling the dog it's dominant and your submissive.
This will reenforce the jumping and bad behavior.
You are the dogs master.

Move towards your dog, your dog is suppose to come to you.

It is a dog not a kid. A kid you can talk to and explain why not to do something, A dog you can not. As much as some of you think a dog knows language and is human it can't under stand your sentences.

So if your muddy kid comes running at me and jumps it will side steep your kid and let the kid go flying, your dog will meet my knee.
Instead of "letting" it jump up why don't you take the advantage of the opportunity to train your dog.
You should have put it on a leash and corrected the bad behavior or stopped it from happening in the first place.
Bad dog owner.

Last edited by snofarmer; 01-15-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs