Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,459,786 times

Advertisements

Agreed, if you do it right you don't hurt the dog at all. You don't jam your knee into the dogs chest, you're just blocking it off from crashing into your stomach or ribs. If you're worried about hurting your dog you can tuck your leg to the side in that quarterback pose, as long as your balance is good enough. But usually I just sidestep them, saying "off" and as soon as all four feet hit the floor I pet them, kind of holding them down with my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,241,127 times
Everyone is different and we all train our dogs to different levels and accept different levels of behaviour from our dogs.

My parents would not accept their dogs jumping up not even on furniture and trained them accordingly, we had to help too it was wrong for the dog to receive mixed messages.

However my dog is a little live wire extremely, excitable and would be all over a guest in our house like a rash, so he is given time out in the kitchen, if guests are staying any length of time then I harness and leash him until that excitment calms down.

I must add I can't remember the last time we had a visitor to the house. I may have paid more attention to his training with regards to jumping up if we had lots of visitors, as it is - for us his behaviour isn't a problem.

I would not tolerate anyone chastising my dog but I don't allow that situation to occur.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,855 times
Default Kneeing dog in chest...makes me so upset!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
How is NOT jumping on the public being handled. It seems that no one is training this dog and that someone has to unless you like to have dogs jump on you. Wrong on so many levels, maybe....but not so much different than letting your kid pee on someone else's hardwood floors. How is the kid supposed to know he isn't allowed to do that?
This is the first post I've read on this thread that makes any sense. No wonder people act as they do today with no regard to anyone except themselves. Just like this pup, it wasn't taught any manners and people defend it's bad habits. If I were the visitors to this household and a dog continued to jump on me, I would stop visiting. That ends the problem. I'd have nothing more to do with the idiotic owner of the dog. As for all of you people who see nothing wrong with a dog jumping on someone, I hope you didn't have kids because you sure wouldn't know how to make them behave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs