Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times

Advertisements

Oh yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I'm guessing there was a reason. Not that I personally would take that route (luckily animal control has been good to fine them), but there have been dogs harmed, poisoned, and even shot, by neighbors fed up with their non-stop barking and being a nuisance. I can certainly understand and appreciate the temptation.

oh yes there is always an excuse to hurt someones pet right ? that Is what you are saying. you are saying because someones dog is an nuisance it is okay to hurt them . wow glad you are not my neighbor because we would have it out indeed and you would be ostracized in my neighborhood .

Old 08-29-2018, 11:15 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh yes there is always an excuse to hurt someones pet right ? that Is what you are saying. you are saying because someones dog is an nuisance it is okay to hurt them . wow glad you are not my neighbor because we would have it out indeed and you would be ostracized in my neighborhood .
No, drama queen, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that people DO hurt dogs, shoot dogs, and poison dogs when they become a nuisance to others. I didn't say that was ok, or the correct course of action; I said that IS what happens. And I can understand what would drive someone to do that. If I were your neighbor and you allowed your dog to be a nuisance, disturbing my peace or coming onto my property, you can bet your sweet a-- we would have it out! While I would not harm your dog (because it wouldn't be to blame for having an irresponsible and considerate owner), I would call the police and animal control until something was done about it. Or if I found it on my property, it would take it down to animal control.

I don't really care about being ostracized by a bunch of inconsiderate dog owners; however, in most cases that I've dealt with, the majority of the block was fed up with the offending dog as well. In one instance, there was "joking" about someone needing to toss a few bars of chocolate over the fence. This was a group of civilized people talking in the street but everyone was at their wit's end with a barking dog. They actually ganged up and agreed *I* was the best person to go talk to the neighbor - I did, and yes we "had it out" and the police were called because as would be expected from someone so inconsiderate of their neighbors, they started making threats. After half the street came out to complain to the police officer, they were given a first offense fine for the barking. The officer told all of us if it happened again, don't bother trying to deal with the belligerent owner, but call them immediately. They would get one more fine before the dog was removed. Do you know how many dogs are actually poisoned by neighbors? A LOT. Remember this story? https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/vet-ch...-dog-to-death/ Do I agree with it and think it's right? No. Do I understand what drives someone to do that? Absolutely.

I would never harm someone's dog on their own property, on a leash, or under the owner's control. But once a dog is on my property or trying to come into my personal space or my dog's, I will make whatever decision I deem appropriate because now someone has made THEIR dog MY problem. How I deal with that problem will depend on various factors, the biggest being the breed of dog.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Drama Queen ? omg far from it . sounds like you are the queen look at how long your post is ? now who is the queen ? give me a break .

Old 08-29-2018, 12:58 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I mean, it depends on the situation

If I am sitting on my porch with my dog laying beside me and someone randomly comes up and starts trying to beat my dog, throw rocks at him, shoot him with BB gun, yeah.

Now if my dog is on the loose for some reason and runs up to someone and they get scared and swat at him, no. I know he's friendly, I know he would just be wanting to say hi, but he's a big dog and they don't know that.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post

I would never harm someone's dog on their own property, on a leash, or under the owner's control. But once a dog is on my property or trying to come into my personal space or my dog's, I will make whatever decision I deem appropriate because now someone has made THEIR dog MY problem. How I deal with that problem will depend on various factors, the biggest being the breed of dog.
Good to know you would never try and hurt one of my dogs while on me leash or on my property, not that we would ever meet. Cause if someone ever did... Well I really hate to hurt people anymore. I try to be nice! TRY!

Back to the original OP from many years ago.

I had six guys, approx. in there 20s, threaten to take my Malamute in Moab UT about five years ago. One guy with a stupid grin noted they were many; I was one. I had to correct him that I had 15 close friends with me, all with the same last name, Wesson, and same first name Smith. Took him a few to understand what I meant. His reply was BS, my reply was to pull my shirt up and over a Beretta. Do believe they didn't slow down till the Colorado border.

And yes, I immediately called the Moab PD, and the Sgt, a close friend loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs