Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM

848 posts, read 1,954,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I got kicked out of Petsmart after reading the riot act to 3 kids when one of them tried to sit on my dog! Then I read the riot act to their good for nothing mother for leaving them unattended in the store. That was when I got kicked out. It was probably the remark about her son needing to be put down instead of my dog for his stupidity.
This is one example of what's wrong with society. YOU were not the one who should have been removed from the store. The manager should have spoken to the mother and attempted to educate her about the danger in which she put her children by allowing them to try and sit on a stranger's dog. If she became argumentative, he/she should have asked HER to leave. You should not have had to get involved other than to stop the attempted action by the child. But these places are money whores so that's their only concern.

Actually, it's the mother who should have been "put down." The kids didn't know better because they were raised by an idiot.

I don't like my dog barking at people, but in this instance a dog barking at them might have prevented the little feral people from running towards your dog.

Needless to say, I hope you don't give Petsmart any more business. I am going to my local Petsmart this afternoon and I will bring up and discuss your incident with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 AM

848 posts, read 1,954,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Something really scary happened to me today. Someone threaten to hit my dog with a rock. He could no find one so he took a huge heavy stick. He didn't get to hit her (we ran) but I called the police and gave a description anyway. If a person actually hits your dog on purpose and causes your dog an injury, what would you do???
I assume you were outside or the perp wouldn't have had access to a rock or stick.....

When I'm outside walking my dog I am never without pepper spray and umbrella. If it's outside my subdivision I'm armed. (Legally)

My first attempt would be to diffuse the situation verbally, if that didn't work, leave as you did, if possible.

Any further action would be dependent upon what the perp did.

But, to answer your question, I would use whatever force I felt necessary. There is no telling for certain that the rock or stick would be used on the dog and not me if someone actually got that close.

Oh, and I always have my cell phone with me too. 911 would be dialed as soon as I could do it without fear of attack.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM

29 posts, read 138,994 times
Two quick thoughts - and like everything else in life, the proper response depends on the situation.

Protecting your dog is one thing. Assaulting someone just because they are acting in a threatening manner is something quite different.

A dog with half a brain will stand up for itself once attacked and the really smart ones will defend its owner as well.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 PM

556 posts, read 2,088,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave View Post
A dog with half a brain will stand up for itself once attacked and the really smart ones will defend its owner as well.
cdave - this is somewhat of a myth in the world of dog ownership.....there is a BIG difference between a dog who will alarm bark at perceived danger - and a dog who will stand their ground and truly defend themselves in the face of true danger.

Most dogs will choose 'flight' over 'fight' if given any choice to do so - and will flee the pressing danger they are in. And it's probably a good thing, since our society would not think well of dogs if the vast majority were 'fight' minded when pushed into a corner - and it would be a perceived corner in their mind, not one in ours.

I think people should not rely on their dog for protection. A dog is a deterrent for sure, and some breeds moreso than others - but in a pinch - most dogs would first and foremost be interested in protecting their own hide - to include running for the hills if need be....it is a rare dog that will naturally, without serious formal training, face off danger and also look around to see if they are covering their owners back too.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,690,478 times
Anyone attacks my dog I wont need to do anything. Lunch will be served.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,194,187 times
If anyone tries to get to my dog, their going to have to get through me first. And well, there are 2 shiny black things under my bed........don't touch my baby!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,804,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
If anyone tries to get to my dog, their going to have to get through me first. And well, there are 2 shiny black things under my bed........don't touch my baby!
I'm fairly sure you are talking about guns, but that just sounds dirty...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM

29 posts, read 138,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
I think people should not rely on their dog for protection. A dog is a deterrent for sure, and some breeds moreso than others - but in a pinch - most dogs would first and foremost be interested in protecting their own hide - to include running for the hills if need be....it is a rare dog that will naturally, without serious formal training, face off danger and also look around to see if they are covering their owners back too.
That is a pretty serious indictment of dogs - too stupid nor loyal enough to defend its owner. Dog hater

Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 PM

16 posts, read 63,893 times
i would probably kill for my dog. he is my baby!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

958 posts, read 1,107,994 times
Most dogs will choose 'flight' over 'fight' if given any choice to do so
RottenBoys
With respect. I don't know what breed[s] you have owned, but my 3 German Hunters will stand there ground against man or beast. They in the house family members. The oldest one "Harley" will hit the threat full force dead on. The two younger others Chopper and Scooter will hit the threat from the sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs