Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave View Post
That is a pretty serious indictment of dogs - too stupid nor loyal enough to defend its owner. Dog hater
Not 'my' indictment though - and you can call me a lot of things - but a dog hater - nope

So in line with OP's original question - would "I" go head to head with someone to defend my dog - YES - I would.....likely would be crazy dog lady gone wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Most dogs will choose 'flight' over 'fight' if given any choice to do so
RottenBoys
With respect. I don't know what breed[s] you have owned, but my 3 German Hunters will stand there ground against man or beast. They in the house family members. The oldest one "Harley" will hit the threat full force dead on. The two younger others Chopper and Scooter will hit the threat from the sides.
And you hunt with them correct? So they have training to do a 'job'? You either voice, collar stim, whistle or hand signal your commands to them, right? Your dogs would be different than what I was referring to - where someone is out for a stroll with their dog and encounter a bad guy and rely on the belief that their dog will protect them, simply because they are a good and loyal dog...I have six dogs at the moment - 3 rottweilers, a Boxer, a pit bull mix, and a lab and 40+ years of large dogs in house...if that matters at all and I'll maintain that most dogs aren't equipped to go into protection mode of their people naturally....it's okay if you all disagree

Old 04-28-2010, 04:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
I'm HAPPY to see that so many of you would act & does act just like me. My dogs are my life. They are everything to me & Hubby.

I too LOVE dogs more than humans.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
NO WAY I'd stand idly by and let anyone harm any of my girls...I hope I'm never in that situation, because I'd probably wind up putting that person in the hospital! That being said, I would never allow them to be off-leash except in their own backyard, I don't take them to dog parks or petsmart, or anywhere else that could become a bad situation...they are chihuahuas and of course they think they can take anyone on. Little dog=big ego, LOL!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
I hate animal abusers, dogs abusers especially. Too much dog fighting and bait dogs that are abused. I'm quite interested in the thread because I'm not certain I'd give my life for my dogs, but sure as heck wouldn't hesitate to injure someone who is crazy enough to go after one of my dogs.

This thread certainly has me thinking what I might be capable of doing. Thanks OP. A bunch to contemplate.
You are welcome!-I went to work and this thread seems to have taken off.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I'm seeing this situation from two angles.

1. Yes, I would defend my dog. I doubt anyone would get very far in trying to harm her, but if anyone ever attacked her I would do whatever it would take to stop them.

2. I fish. If someone came along with an offleash dog and let it splash around in the water where I was fishing, you bet I would be PO'd. If the dog tried to take a fish I caught, I would probably yell, kick dirt, ect to scare it off. That fish is my food, no matter how small. The owner would get a harsh tounge lashing from me, not just because their dog was causing a mess of my fishing, but my biggest pet peeve- do not let your dog off it's leash unless you have control of it. That means being able to recall it no matter what is going on. On another note, your dog could have been injured by a hook if it had grabbed the fish or knocked over the man's tackle box.

I'm not trying to offend here- just calling it like I see it. The fisherman you ran into sounds like he was going to try and seriously hurt your dog and you did the right thing by getting out of there and calling the cops. I'm not trying to justify the way he acted (wanting to hurt your dog) by any means. My advice would be work on your puppy's recall, train it to come to you no matter what else is going on around you. There's all kinds of creative ways to do this. Also until the pup is better trained, if you still go on offleash walks be sure to leash up beforehand if you spot a situation (such as someone fishing) that may cause problems.

Good luck and be safe.
Thanks. You are entitled to your own opinion of course. I used the word "fisherman" but I should have said "a man fishing". The fish was going back to the water, he was just fishing for sport.

My dog is getting her recall better and better everyday. However, she is not perfect and if she is curious/into playing, she will ignore me. She is a GSD mix and needs exercise, lots of it, which she won't get if I have her on leash (I am old and can't run anymore). Like I said before, we have been there before and what happened was not necessary and had not happened before. And my dog had the right to be in the water, there is no law that says she can't go in the water because someone is fishing.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
An older guy, (55-60) in this crappy apartment complex we live in, threatened our dog (mid 2008) with a baseball bat because she was barking at his little yappy ankle biter. Went back to his apartment and returned quickly with the bat. I was getting ready for work when my wife came in and told me what had happened. I instantly went down to his apartment yelling out... "next time you threaten my dog with a baseball bat I'll take it from you and beat you with it. then shove it up your arse". We would do anything to protect our baby girl. Our 110 lb. baby girl.
That is the way to go. I don't know but I see lots of crazy people out there. People with no patience that think a dog can think like a human and totally overreact for the stupidest things. Then they become verbally abusive and even try to hurt an innocent animal that is just doing what comes naturally.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Thanks. You are entitled to your own opinion of course. I used the word "fisherman" but I should have said "a man fishing". The fish was going back to the water, he was just fishing for sport.

My dog is getting her recall better and better everyday. However, she is not perfect and if she is curious/into playing, she will ignore me. She is a GSD mix and needs exercise, lots of it, which she won't get if I have her on leash (I am old and can't run anymore). Like I said before, we have been there before and what happened was not necessary and had not happened before. And my dog had the right to be in the water, there is no law that says she can't go in the water because someone is fishing.
Of course your dog has a right to be there and it's WONDERFUL that you have such a neat sounding area that you are able to take her to- BUT it is very rude to allow your dog to go into the water right where someone is fishing. Why not take your dog down shore? There's no law that says you have to, but there is something called common courtesy Again, I'm not defending the jerk who wanted to hit your dog. That is just plain wrong and probably would have been very traumatic to your poor puppy.

Weather someone is fishing for food or for sport, having a picnick, public land, city park, off leash area, ect., all that is really completely beside the point I was trying to make. IMHO if a dog is not yet finished with it's training, it should not be offleash in public. What seems like cute or playfull or harmless behavior to you may not look that way to everyone else. Also, if you cannot recall you dog at all times, it may end up injured. What if your dog wanted to "play" with a rattle snake (or some other possibly dangerous critter)? Even if there are no dangerous wildlife, cars, or other obvious risks to your dog, the man threatening to hit your pup demonstrated that dangers can pop up unexpectedly. Solid recall before ever unclipping that leash with go a long way towards keeping your dog safer and out of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
That is the way to go. I don't know but I see lots of crazy people out there. People with no patience that think a dog can think like a human and totally overreact for the stupidest things. Then they become verbally abusive and even try to hurt an innocent animal that is just doing what comes naturally.
By the by I have no patience for an owner who thinks it's ok to allow their dog to run wild/loose "doing what comes naturally" while out in a public place. My "verbal abuse" would be directed at the human who is supposed to be responsible for keeping their dog under control and safe. All dog owners get a bad name because of some people who allow their dogs to run loose without training them beforehand. This is why many places near where I live do not allow offleash dogs, or do not allow dogs period.

Last edited by SheridanPDC; 04-28-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
OMG yes. The fight would be on. I've gotten into fights with people over other people's dogs.
Same thing! We had a new neighbor with a non-friendly dog and she decided to let him off the leash at the park (we live right next to it). He run straight to us and attacked my girls (two golden retrievers) and he didn't let go. The woman, instead of helping us, started insulting DH and I loudly and even threatened to hit me because I was "harming his baby"

We tried to call the police, but the lady denied everything and no one believed us because until the pitbull killed a small chiguagua -he literally destroyed the animal- the following week.

My babies are part of my family. Of course I'd defend them.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:35 AM

Sheridan,

Please do not take my thread for your ranting. The tread is "would you attack someone to defend your dog". Create your own-I suggest "Dog Recalling" or "Dog Etiquette".

Your keystrokes are a waste on this thread, I don't care what you think. One of the perks I get for living in a very expensive town is that I have designed areas for off-leash dog walking. There are many dogs far worse than mine-she is actually a sweetheart. The situation my dog and I had to face was extreme and unnecessary and it was handled appropriately this time. I don't know about next.

A 100% recall must be rare, I have never seen it. I know a pure breed GSD that is trained yet the owner has to recall several times before the dog comes back. I adopted my dog and I give her the very best, however, I will not spend thousands of dollars on training. No way.

How much etiquette can you have while walking in the woods? This is suppose to be stress free, is not the street or a mall.

Don't even bother replying, create your own thread.

Have a nice day...or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs