Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would stick up for my little dogs! I got mad at a guy in Pet Supplies Plus Saturday because his German Shephard was running loose in there. You don't let your dog run loose in the shopping store where they are kind enough to allow dogs! Came running up to Lucy and Ringo and I snatched up Lucy - no way am I letting her go nose to nose with a strange, big dog. She would be on the losing end of any disagreement. Ringo WENT OFF and I told the manager. Next thing I knew the couple with the GSD were in the leash aisle making a new purchase. That was just stupid and made me so MAD. Every other dog was on a leash. Sorry bout my rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM

490 posts, read 1,789,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
I'm just curious as to why the guy was trying to hit your dog. Your dog wasn't being vicious was he/she?

Still unjustifiable, I know because I still would definitely stick up for my dog!
_________

Thank you all for your comments and opinions. I, too would fight to defend my dog, however, I am worried about how far could I get. I think I could just hurt someone really bad because I like dogs more than humans.

Carrie: My dog is still a puppy and the situation happened while I was walking by the lake. It was a fisherman and I now think that maybe he is sick or crazy. My dog went into the water and he yelled at her to get out. At the same time he caught a little fish and my puppy tried to play with it (she has found dead fish in the area before and play with them but does not eat them). He got really angry at her for attempting to get his little fish and became verbally abusive using the "f" word towards us both. I was trying to grab the dog but she kept thinking that the riot meant play and was splashing around so the fisherman turned violent and threatened to get a rock and hit her. He could not find one so he took a large wood branch that was on the floor. As he picked the branch and started to swing it my dog was still thinking "oh, this is play" and jump in the air to grab the branch (perhaps she though he was going to play fetch). She didn't touch the man but now he was yelling that she, an 8 month old puppy, had just attacked him. At that point I informed him that I was going to call 911 and my dog finally came, I leashed her and we ran to wait for the police. Note that the area is dog friendly and leashes are not required in the woods. We go there all the time to walk and never had a major issue like this.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Something really scary happened to me today. Someone threaten to hit my dog with a rock. He could no find one so he took a huge heavy stick. He didn't get to hit her (we ran) but I called the police and gave a description anyway. If a person actually hits your dog on purpose and causes your dog an injury, what would you do???

Sorry that happened to you. The guy sounds like a nutjob and you are almost certainly better off extricating yourself from the situation like you did. Did the police find him/have a talk with him?

If someone threatened my dogs, my instinct would be to defend my dogs using physical force if necessary. However, I am not very big (even though I have the attitude of a linebacker ) and have never been in any kind of fight, so I would be concerned about my dogs getting hurt trying to defend me. My first choice would be to leave and try to avoid any conflict, and then I would call the police. I guess it would also depend on the setting (isolated woods vs crowded park). Now if I had a concealed carry permit or carried mace or a taser, or if my husband was with me, it would be a different story! I am just hoping I never have to face a situation like that, and hopefully you won't ever have to be in that type of situation again either!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Sorry that happened to you. The guy sounds like a nutjob and you are almost certainly better off extricating yourself from the situation like you did. Did the police find him/have a talk with him?

If someone threatened my dogs, my instinct would be to defend my dogs using physical force if necessary. However, I am not very big (even though I have the attitude of a linebacker ) and have never been in any kind of fight, so I would be concerned about my dogs getting hurt trying to defend me. My first choice would be to leave and try to avoid any conflict, and then I would call the police. I guess it would also depend on the setting (isolated woods vs crowded park). Now if I had a concealed carry permit or carried mace or a taser, or if my husband was with me, it would be a different story! I am just hoping I never have to face a situation like that, and hopefully you won't ever have to be in that type of situation again either!
Thanks Dogmonof2, I think the police did not take it seriously. They took the description and my data and sent me home. I have not heard anything. I will continue to go there, I have no choice because is the only place she can run off leash and spend her energy. If she doesn't, she gets sad and grouchy. If I see the guy again, I will be prepared...some spray sounds like a great idea.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 PM

553 posts, read 1,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Thanks Dogmonof2, I think the police did not take it seriously. They took the description and my data and sent me home. I have not heard anything. I will continue to go there, I have no choice because is the only place she can run off leash and spend her energy. If she doesn't, she gets sad and grouchy. If I see the guy again, I will be prepared...some spray sounds like a great idea.
That is a shame the police didn't take it more seriously. Most people who are willing to abuse animals also abuse people. They really should have had a talk with him. You shouldn't be deprived of using a park because that idiot might be there. Maybe you could invite a friend to go with you the next few times (preferably a big friend) as well as getting mace. Maybe even one of those loud alarms too. Be careful!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
I attacked the UPS driver when I was a teenager!

My little peek-a-poo jumped out the door and he smacked her across the yard with his clipboard!

She didn't do anything to him. She's not a mean dog. She doesn't bit. She didn't even make a sound. She just jumped out the door to great him happily.

What did I do when he sent her flying across the yard with his clipboard? I kicked him in the shin!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,826 times
Default protect me dog? LOL

I have a trained attack dog. If someone threatens to hit me or the dog, I would calmly inform him or her that the dog is a retired working dog, and if he makes the move to attack me or the dog, I will release the dog and give the command to attack. I've actually had someone approach me in a threatening manner, gave the command to bark and hold and very calmly told the man that if he took one step closer I would give the command to attack. He left.

It's fairly simple to teach any type of dog to bark and hold on command, verbal and hand signals. People see that your dog is "well trained" they tend to think twice. This is assuming you don't have an ankle bitter.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I attacked the UPS driver when I was a teenager!

My little peek-a-poo jumped out the door and he smacked her across the yard with his clipboard!

She didn't do anything to him. She's not a mean dog. She doesn't bit. She didn't even make a sound. She just jumped out the door to great him happily.

What did I do when he sent her flying across the yard with his clipboard? I kicked him in the shin!
Wow, you are your dog's hero. I hate to see people abuse animals like that. I now remember the UPS guy looking at my dog weird a few weeks ago so I will be careful with him too from now on.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,353,475 times
Of course, although she got me very mad today, its a wrap for whoever attacks her. I'd attack anything, a person, a larger animal, etc. Lol we'll double team 'em.

She's sweet but vicious sounding to strangers, her bark is louder than her bite lol. We need to get that under control.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Nanners is the sweetest, most non-threatening dog I've ever known, unless you're a cat or a rabbit. I could understand someone being upset if she killed or otherwise hurt their cat or rabbit, but the only way that's happening is if they're in my yard. (like someone's fluffy white domestic bunny was last week... but Nanners is a bit too fat to catch up with him)

Sooooo, don't let me catch you harming my dog, because it's no different than harming one of my two-legged beasts, and I'd die for one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs