Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Not trying to judge, but if people don't move out of the job market that can, doesn't leave much room for young people.
You mean the young people who don't think it's fair to have to pay into Social Security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A lot more boomers wonder if they will ever work again. Someone suggested moving to where there are jobs (where?). If everyone did that the places where there are jobs would soon have higher unemployment rates than Detroit.
No, the number of jobs in an area is not fixed, the more people that come to the area the more jobs that will be created in that area. But, "everyone" is not doing it, so many people make excuses why they can't move and/or don't have the means, hence those that are willing/can to do so can gain a lot.

As you can see here:

PhillyFedStateSeptMap.jpg (image)

The 50 states are no where close to being uniform in terms of job growth.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I've seen articles where people have literally said they won't move because they don't want to uproot their high school aged kid. That is madness.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
"Some equity", at 60 they should own the house! Its a little hard to feel sorry for a 60 year old that can't sell their house because they don't have enough equity.

Anyhow, many Americans nowadays seem to believe that they should be able to get a good job and never have to make any sacrifices.
Not everyone bought their home at age 25.

Many used their homes (wisely or unwisely) to finance their kids' education, not to take a trip to Acapulco. These people may have paid off, or paid down, their mortgage but with this kind of equity loan are right back up to where they started (no judgments, please).

"Sacrifices"--you are assuming that many Americans never made any. Until you have a family, raise those kids, pay for those kids and their education all the way through, and perhaps help out your aging parents, you cannot understand how someone age 60 may not have their home paid off.

I'm getting a little tired of all the judgments about the average American worker and family*---no, it's not everyone's fault, and no, not everyone out there mismanaged their funds and is irresponsible. Posters, please qualify your judgments to a specific named segment of people, otherwise this gets offensive and old after a while.

* I heard last night on the news that any tax on an income of $500K per year (if there were to be one!) only applies to their first $100K. Funny how that doesn't work for the rest of us.

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-01-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, the number of jobs in an area is not fixed, the more people that come to the area the more jobs that will be created in that area. But, "everyone" is not doing it, so many people make excuses why they can't move and/or don't have the means, hence those that are willing/can to do so can gain a lot.
People (especially elders) are not going to sell their home (even if they could get a buyer), pull up all roots and move to some place that may or may not have jobs they can get at the point that they move there. People are constantly moving to cool lifestyle places like Portland, Ore. Do you know what the job situation is like there?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I've seen articles where people have literally said they won't move because they don't want to uproot their high school aged kid. That is madness.
If they have a job offer in hand it is madness. Otherwise it is not.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not everyone bought their home at age 25.
It doesn't need to be 20, one could have bought a home at age 40, by age 60 it should be about half paid off.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
It doesn't need to be 20, one could have bought a home at age 40, by age 60 it should be about half paid off.
Yes, that is reasonable. That is, if one did not take on a mortgage way over their heads.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If they have a job offer in hand it is madness. Otherwise it is not.
Okay let me put it another way... if I couldn't find work and I knew of an area with a much lower unemployment rate I'd move there.

It seems you would stay put in the area you say has no jobs, who do you think has a better chance of finding work you or me?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Okay let me put it another way... if I couldn't find work and I knew of an area with a much lower unemployment rate I'd move there.

It seems you would stay put in the area you say has no jobs, who do you think has a better chance of finding work you or me?
The obvious answer is to not depend on jobs for survival. You can chase jobs like you can chase anything else, and not get the catch. You can also jump from the frying pan into the fire. If you lose your job, take your skills and open up shop for yourself, but if you read Noncontingencies (sp?) posts, you'd better be smart about it (i.e., don't come up with a "bad plan").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics