Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Our country's political system punishes you if you try to go above and beyond and earn your own way. It's much easier to take the 9-5 job for a gauranteed income.

Thank the Democrat party and the entitlement systems.
Explain. Income taxes on the highest earners in this country are at their lowest point in decades, possibly ever. If the government "punishes you if you try to go above and beyond and earn your own way" now, what was in doing in the 1950's when the top marginal tax rate was 90%?

The current tax system, like everything else in this country today, is designed to screw the guy who works a regular 9-5 job and below and enrich the corporations and people who are already wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Explain. Income taxes on the highest earners in this country are at their lowest point in decades, possibly ever. If the government "punishes you if you try to go above and beyond and earn your own way" now, what was in doing in the 1950's when the top marginal tax rate was 90%?

The current tax system, like everything else in this country today, is designed to screw the guy who works a regular 9-5 job and below and enrich the corporations and people who are already wealthy.
Methinks you need to educate yourself:
Wealthy Americans Deserve Real Tax Relief by David N. Mayer

Quote:
[SIZE=2] The wealthiest 5% of taxpayers now pay a majority of federal income taxes, and the top 25% pay more than 80% of income taxes, according to the Internal Revenue Service. In contrast, those in the bottom 50% pay a mere 4% of all federal income taxes. So naturally the wealthy would get the most relief from a rate cut-and they should, because they pay a vastly disproportionate share. [/SIZE]

Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:

Um...the more you make, the greater the percentage you pay in taxes. That screws those who make more. The bottom 50% of incomes paid 2.7% of the total income taxes. (according to 2008 numbers). The distribution is roughly the same. How is that fair?

The top 1% of wage earners pay 38% of all income taxes for the country. Sorry, but the tax system does not screw the middle class.

Fair would be everyone pays a flat tax (e.g. 15% of their income) regardless of how much they make. Right?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Um...the more you make, the greater the percentage you pay in taxes. That screws those who make more. The bottom 50% of incomes paid 2.7% of the total income taxes. (according to 2008 numbers). The distribution is roughly the same. How is that fair?

The top 1% of wage earners pay 38% of all income taxes for the country. Sorry, but the tax system does not screw the middle class.

Fair would be everyone pays a flat tax (e.g. 15% of their income) regardless of how much they make. Right?

Right.

If I make $10,000 I pay 15%

If I make $100,000,000,000 I pay 15%

...Which is why it will never happen!

People at the bottom are GIVEN money every year... not pay income taxes.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Completely irrelevant to my point. In the 1950's the top income tax rate was 91%, now it is 35%.

Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

It most certainly does screw the middle class. You can't just look at federal income taxes in a vacuum. Middle class workers pay a much larger percentage of their income in payroll taxes than wealthy people do. It is regressive.

The reason the top 1% pay 38% of the taxes, and the bottom 50% pay less is because the top 1% is making more money! Income inequality is a major problem in this country and around the world. Regressive schemes like a flat tax or the really heinous "fair" tax just exacerbate the problem and puts more money into the pockets of the wealthy.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Completely irrelevant to my point. In the 1950's the top income tax rate was 91%, now it is 35%.

Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Odd, I could have sworn that you wrote this:
Quote:

in the 1800's it was legal for people to own other people.
I do not see how this makes it right today any more than stealing in the past makes it condoned today.

Quote:
It most certainly does screw the middle class. You can't just look at federal income taxes in a vacuum. Middle class workers pay a much larger percentage of their income in payroll taxes than wealthy people do. It is regressive.
Incorrect:
2010 tax bracket rates

Quote:
The reason the top 1% pay 38% of the taxes, and the bottom 50% pay less is because the top 1% is making more money!
If you will look at the chart at the link provided above, you will learn that it is not that simple!

Quote:
Income inequality is a major problem in this country and around the world. Regressive schemes like a flat tax or the really heinous "fair" tax just exacerbate the problem and puts more money into the pockets of the wealthy.
HOW is 'Rich people who make more money paying more money' (@ 15%)
And 'Poorer people paying less money (At the same rate)
"Heinous?"

Isn't that what you espoused above?
[quote]
Quote:
The reason the top 1% pay 38% of the taxes, and the bottom 50% pay less is because the top 1% is making more money!
You NEED people with money.
When's the last time you got a job from a broke person?
(And how well did you get paid?)

Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,812 times
ah, here we go again with reaganomics and progressive tax bashing.

The reason it is EQUITABLE for a high earner to pay a higher percentage of his income into taxes is because he has a lower marginal utility of his last dollar than the chumps making 35-50K (myself included). Marginal utility, that's the reason progressive tax is equitable. Don't agree? Ok we agree to disagree.

There is a cost of living line. It is the same for all people. Those farther away from the cost of living line can afford to subsidize the ones closer to the cost of living.

The point is to appease the masses. People need to understand that man is not created equal. Between nepotism, different attitudes towards financial goals, genetic advantages, we can't all be equally hard working and earning, it's simply not possible. The reaganomics school of thought suggest we dismiss this reality and just go full afterburner aggressive with people, and let the chips fall where they may. That creates income polarization quickly, which in turn degrades the quality of the table where we ALL eat, rich and poor. The point of governance is to keep the masses appeased, we do that by subsidizing the smoothing out of the inequality, not whining like a little baby because I can't have my fourth yacht like the good Lord intended because of these stinking taxes that cap potential with the unfair advantages I have in life that predispose (yes, it is not all attitude, again agree to disagree if that causes you heartburn) me to succeed beyond my compatriots.

The point is to keep the yard appeased enough so you can live like a king (by global standards) without having to go to the mall in armored Humvees like the upper class of Colombia. That's what your lower utility last dollars are doing for you. I'd be happy to pay that price for said stability, because I recognize pulling the rug on the less aggresive among us won't make them all of a sudden more predisposed to become more financially successful compared to the aggressives that outprice them. What it does do is disenfranchise them, and the more you disenfranchise at the same time the quicker you become a target and the quicker your cul de sac gets torched and your teenage daughters get raped and kidnapped. Governance at the sociological level is quite first grader stuff fellas. But keep looking at the world through a straw and overestimating the intellect, work ethic and perspective of your personal lives, the government will always default to keeping this mother from revolting due to visible and mass scale purchasing power inequality. I love to pay my taxes, I knew as soon as I got out of high school that the boomer lifestyle binge was an excess and that I as a Gen Y was gonna inherit an empty bag, so I'm cool with the reset.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
ah, here we go again with reaganomics and progressive tax bashing.

The reason it is EQUITABLE for a high earner to pay a higher percentage of his income into taxes is because he has a lower marginal utility of his last dollar than the chumps making 35-50K (myself included). Marginal utility, that's the reason progressive tax is equitable. Don't agree? Ok we agree to disagree.

There is a cost of living line. It is the same for all people. Those farther away from the cost of living line can afford to subsidize the ones closer to the cost of living.

The point is to appease the masses. People need to understand that man is not created equal. Between nepotism, different attitudes towards financial goals, genetic advantages, we can't all be equally hard working and earning, it's simply not possible. The reaganomics school of thought suggest we dismiss this reality and just go full afterburner aggressive with people, and let the chips fall where they may. That creates income polarization quickly, which in turn degrades the quality of the table where we ALL eat, rich and poor. The point of governance is to keep the masses appeased, we do that by subsidizing the smoothing out of the inequality, not whining like a little baby because I can't have my fourth yacht like the good Lord intended because of these stinking taxes that cap potential with the unfair advantages I have in life that predispose (yes, it is not all attitude, again agree to disagree if that causes you heartburn) me to succeed beyond my compatriots.

The point is to keep the yard appeased enough so you can live like a king (by global standards) without having to go to the mall in armored Humvees like the upper class of Colombia. That's what your lower utility last dollars are doing for you. I'd be happy to pay that price for said stability, because I recognize pulling the rug on the less aggresive among us won't make them all of a sudden more predisposed to become more financially successful compared to the aggressives that outprice them. What it does do is disenfranchise them, and the more you disenfranchise at the same time the quicker you become a target and the quicker your cul de sac gets torched and your teenage daughters get raped and kidnapped. Governance at the sociological level is quite first grader stuff fellas. But keep looking at the world through a straw and overestimating the intellect, work ethic and perspective of your personal lives, the government will always default to keeping this mother from revolting due to visible and mass scale purchasing power inequality. I love to pay my taxes, I knew as soon as I got out of high school that the boomer lifestyle binge was an excess and that I as a Gen Y was gonna inherit an empty bag, so I'm cool with the reset.

Ok, you want to take from the people who have worked for their money and give it to others to 'be nice'

GREAT Idea!

Since your in a higher income range than me, please prove your belief in your 'morals' by sending me a few thousand dollars.
-Oh, I'm also disabled, so that might make the amount a little more.
(a significant portion of my income goes to monthly, reoccurring medical expenses)

If you agree to do this I will send you a PO box address and post a thread telling this forum that you have done so, when I receive your money.

After all, that would be equitable by your standards.

Your move.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:

I'm not talking about millionaires, the Democrat Party's favorite straw man , I'm talking about the obstacles and the expenses you have to put up with when start a small business. FICA, SS, mimimum wage, labor regulations, sales taxes, commercial property taxes, the endless paper work and tax returns you are required to file if you strike out on your own.

The millionairs have made theirs. By the time you are a millionaire you have everyone else do the paperwork and you don't mind living off of 50% of 100million dollars. It's the small businessman starting out with little disposable income who is hit the hardest by our overburdensome government.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
So he wasn't at-fault. Any lawsuits? Money settlement? Well heaven as we know is the best place depending on your religious beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
A water-tanker firetruck or whatever they call it was only partially full (Against regs, not his fault) and sloshed when they went around a curve. This caused it to flip and completely crush the upper portion of his body.
I did not see it, but I understand there wasn't much to "surgerise"

I do not know what it feels like in heaven any more than you do.
Nor do I have children.

I HAVE however been deployed with Marines who do, and I know that they miss the opportunities to spend time with their children, play with them, help them with problems, dry their tears etc.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most of the fathers reading this would regret it if they were unable to take their son fishing, to boy scouts, see them married etc.

Perhaps I am wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics