Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
shaker281 wrote:
I hope things improve for everyone.
If we all cultivated an attitude like this instead of blaming each other, what a wonderful world it would be. IMO, this is the most intelligent sentence in this entire thread.
Very much agree! Why don't we start working to help each other, rather than tear each other down? Haven't we learned anything about divisiveness throughout history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Just some random thoughts regarding education:

Instead of colleges requiring basic liberal art courses (english, history, etc.), the high school curriculum that requires students to take such courses anyway should be beefed up. By that I mean there should be higher standards and perhaps even a higher workload. The "college prep" level courses I took in high school were a joke. That way, students who do work hard will get a quality liberal arts education and won't have to pay through the nose to take it again in college. Students should be able to focus almost exclusively on their major, career preparation, internships, etc. instead of writing papers on English romanticism and reading books about art history. It's a waste of time and money and it does not prepare you for the real world. I'm not saying liberal arts are a complete waste of time, just that it should be a focus in high school, not college. Of course colleges would never agree to this because they would lose a lot of money.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Well, I'm calling BS! Don't blame the schools that you chose to be naive and your parents provided you with no real world life's lessons.

I never expected my kid to get anything out of school he did not put into it. I never expected the school to be a complete education on life or success. Anyone could talk to successful people, ask questions, read books and see what it takes to be successful in an ever changing world. Not everyone can be successful and taking the easy way out ensures it will be you that ends up paying the piper.

As far as the community college thing goes, I am sure there are more community college graduates working at Olive Garden than Yale graduates. Maybe you were being told the right things, you just chose not to listen. And certainly, at age 27, you have plenty of time to turn it all around, what are you doing now that you have had your epiphany?
The whole thing was a joke looking back on it. It's not going to be a complete education, or complete mastery of life.

But my gosh....you're in school for....12 years!! 9 months out of the year. You put in 7-8 hours day, (plus homework). And they want to extend the school year? You should get a decent picture of the world after all that time.

Esp in terms of technology and how its changed the world. To me, not centering education around technology is a ridiculous failure....basically putting blinders on.

Say, you were in school in 1890 in a small town. And the railroad is coming through town. But there's nothing said in school about the railroad, or the tracks. Or what the railroad can transport. Where it's going. So you study farming or being a blacksmith or something. But the railroad is going to go all the way to Nevada. And it's going to completely change life. How they grow crops. What they can bring into town. It may make many things obsolete.

I.e., what's happened to law grads (work going overseas or getting downsized). IT work, etc. There was no central concept of "change" in school....its not much of a suprise why some in this generation feel stuck, confused, "complaining", etc.

I think some people put a lot of faith in school, to tell them the truth. I don't know. I think you should have a reasonable chance of success with any major. And kids are pretty naive at 16, 17, 18. You look to all these authority figures for guidance.

I chose to listen to a lot of things, but I remember thinking...are there really going to be jobs for everyone. All these graduates x all these schools + all this tuition money ($20,000 a year). And everyone is going to be successful in 5 or 8 years? Hmmmm. And all these disparate majors....history, philosophy, psychology? They look at majors like finger painting. Just dab a little bit of blue and red here and you'll have a good painting.

School is basically a cult. They hit all the points of the BITE model of mind control.

ex-cult Resource Center - The BITE Model

Esp, the last one...."Terrible consequences will take place if you leave". I.e., you'll be a loser, working at McDonalds, etc. You're a "dropout".

I think schools had ample opportunity to prepare kids for the 21st century.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Instead of colleges requiring basic liberal art courses (english, history, etc.), the high school curriculum that requires students to take such courses anyway should be beefed up. By that I mean there should be higher standards and perhaps even a higher workload. The "college prep" level courses I took in high school were a joke. That way, students who do work hard will get a quality liberal arts education and won't have to pay through the nose to take it again in college. Students should be able to focus almost exclusively on their major, career preparation, internships, etc. instead of writing papers on English romanticism and reading books about art history. It's a waste of time and money and it does not prepare you for the real world. I'm not saying liberal arts are a complete waste of time, just that it should be a focus in high school, not college. Of course colleges would never agree to this because they would lose a lot of money.
you can't have this and no child left behind.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:48 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

This is why I never bothered with college. I hated school as a kid, and never wanted to have to go through all those basic courses again, especially writing thesises, essays, etc. Yuck! I only went to secretarial school because it taught only skills I needed to qualify for office work without all that boring fluff.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
I am 33 also. I thought we are the New Generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
First off, I'm 33 years old, at the very tail-end of Gen X or the beginning of Y, depending on who's classification system you're using. I am getting sick of reading thread after thread of my generation and younger whining and complaining about how it is impossible for them to get ahead (or even going) in today's word.

They whine about how it's impossible to go to school without becoming a debt-slave, impossible to buy a house, impossible to raise a family, impossible to even get a job, ect, ect...

WTF is wrong with you people? I worked my way up in my job field from 11 dollars an hour to 24 now, put myself through college without taking out a loan, own a house that is worth more than 200K, have 2 cars (one paid for) 3 kids, no debt besides the mortage and car loan, a bunch of toys and my wife is even a stay at home mom. It wasn't hard.

Here's how: I did a good work and progressed in my job. I bought a fixer-upper house and restored it myself. I kept good credit so I get the best rates on loans. I lived within my means and didn't overextend myself early, so I would have more later. I budget.

Why is this "impossible" for so many people? Did your mommies not teach you how to be an adult? Are you unable to plan more than a week ahead? Stop whining! It's always been challenging to get a life started no matter what generation a person finds themselves in. If chango can do it, you are a sure bet!!!! Get out there and get to work!!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
It's those damn Baby Boomers who were guaranteed 12% ROI on stocks for life, a solid pension and social security. The rest of us have to save and plan responsibly -- with NO guarantees!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's those damn Baby Boomers who were guaranteed 12% ROI on stocks for life, a solid pension and social security. The rest of us have to save and plan responsibly -- with NO guarantees!
No one was guaranteed anything in Stocks. 12% is easily achievable depending on how you managed your portfolio.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
No one was guaranteed anything in Stocks. 12% is easily achievable depending on how you managed your portfolio.

....what? Show me 12% returns and I'll show you my entire portfolio!! You can't guarantee 12% now like you could before, and you never will be able to again. Most stock brokers can't beat the S&P 500, which will NOT gain 12% this year!

Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
....what? Show me 12% returns and I'll show you my entire portfolio!! You can't guarantee 12% now like you could before, and you never will be able to again. Most stock brokers can't beat the S&P 500, which will NOT gain 12% this year!
NLY alone is beating 12% this year, last year, the prior year, etc. And it's no hidden gem either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics