Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

the young generation is a completely spoiled bunch, given everything on a platter by their parents, I really have no sympathy for them. Now, they even expect lucrative jobs to be ready for them when they graduate...imagine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
the young generation is a completely spoiled bunch, given everything on a platter by their parents, I really have no sympathy for them. Now, they even expect lucrative jobs to be ready for them when they graduate...imagine that.
exactly. the entire generation is nothing but spoiled brats who don't deserve the opportunity for a job at all.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:43 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
This is either a bad attempt at humor or the most unsupportable generalization ever made about millions of people in the history of the United States.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:47 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
That is absolutely false. I know some friends that know of kids who have excellent degrees, lots of recommendations, and previous work experience who can barely get an interview for positions they are well qualified for.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:

Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just about all the shop classes are long gone too... wood, metal, auto.
Out of the 8 high schools in our area, only ONE has these Industrial tech ed type classes. And the ironic thing is that it is the high school in supposedly the worst part of the area where most of the Hispanic and Black kids attend.

I'm going to probably catch a lot of hatemongering for saying this... especially from the working moms, I'm afraid... but I have wondered if the young people today have such self-entitlement issues and are so spoiled and self-righteous due to so many generations having gone by now in our country where both parents are having to work instead of one staying home to properly raise the children, and the parents are over-compensating for their guilt of not parenting their own children by over-indulging them with material goods and money? Spoiling the future generations of American rotten and giving them a sense that mommy and daddy will always be there to pay my way so why should I bother with that whole growing up business?

And as soon as they are expected to grow up... well... we've all heard the stories now about mom or dad calling up employers asking why little schmookums didn't get a call back from that job interview that they failed miserably at because they were "multi-tasking" (texting) during the course of it? And so on...

I really feel that a lot of this country's problems today exist because of lack of good firm-but-gentle parenting. Everybody feels so self-entitled and insular, because most of us have been raised to feel that way.

Think about it.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Nobody ever promised these people that they would have a job upon graduation.

And if they chose to sign the papers and knowingly acquire more student loan debt than the average starting salary of their chosen career path - they can only be angry with themselves for not thinking before they signed those loan agreements.

Honestly... they should have never done away with Home Ec. in public high schools.
Let's get real. These kids are signing on for a lifetime of debt while they are still in HIGH SCHOOL (age 16, when many do not even have a checking account ). It's their naive and pressured PARENTS that sign on the dotted line. The kids (and parents), pressured relentlessly by teachers, guidance counselors, competitive peers, and nonstop preparation for those questionable h.s. exit exams feel there is no real option other than voc training (not available in many schools)...every kid with any brains feels they must go to college in order to get a decent job. No question. They have been sold this bill of sale all of their young lives. They are on track since kindergarten: "Better pass these tests or you'll never get into college....you'll never grow up to amount to anything if don't go to college!" etc etc etc year after year of their often poor schooling. A paltry "Home Ec" class does not begin to address this issue. It is a sociological issue.

So YES, there is a noncontractual expectation fed to these kids that if they get the right education they will get out and get a job and be successful, just like you. That has been the American way since the end of WWII, with more and more middle- and lower-class kids getting sucked into the mill of college education every year. Too bad that they don't know that today (if not to some extent in the past) it's who you know, or who mom or dad or uncle knows, or the ability to attend pricey networking conferences, that gets you the job when competing with thousands of others for same. And what lower-class kid is that well "connected"???

Old 10-13-2011, 04:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Let's get real. These kids are signing on for a lifetime of debt while they are still in HIGH SCHOOL (age 16, when many do not even have a checking account ). It's their naive and pressured PARENTS that sign on the dotted line. The kids (and parents), pressured relentlessly by teachers, guidance counselors, competitive peers, and nonstop preparation for those questionable h.s. exit exams feel there is no real option other than voc training (not available in many schools)...every kid with any brains feels they must go to college in order to get a decent job. No question. They have been sold this bill of sale all of their young lives. They are on track since kindergarten: "Better pass these tests or you'll never get into college....you'll never grow up to amount to anything if don't go to college!" etc etc etc year after year of their often poor schooling. A paltry "Home Ec" class does not begin to address this issue. It is a sociological issue.

So YES, there is a noncontractual expectation fed to these kids that if they get the right education they will get out and get a job and be successful, just like you. That has been the American way since the end of WWII, with more and more middle- and lower-class kids getting sucked into the mill of college education every year. Too bad that they don't know that today (if not to some extent in the past) it's who you know, or who mom or dad or uncle knows, or the ability to attend pricey networking conferences, that gets you the job when competing with thousands of others for same. And what lower-class kid is that well "connected"???
If this were the case... how is it that immigrants with nothing but a strong desires to secede make it? The answer is they start their own businesses...

As to Home Economics... I went to school with the founder of Mrs. Fields cookies and she started her entrepreneurial success in High School Home Ec class.

Depending on someone else for your livelihood always gives the employer the upper hand...

I firmly believe we need more small business of the family mom and pop kind if America is to turn things around...

As many Fortune 500 leaders have said... college makes a person a great employee at the expense of stifling the entrepreneurial drive... even Apple's Steve Jobs would agree.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If this were the case... how is it that immigrants with nothing but a strong desires to secede make it? The answer is they start their own businesses...

As to Home Economics... I went to school with the founder of Mrs. Fields cookies and she started her entrepreneurial success in High School Home Ec class.

Depending on someone else for your livelihood always gives the employer the upper hand...

I firmly believe we need more small business of the family mom and pop kind if America is to turn things around...

As many Fortune 500 leaders have said... college makes a person a great employee at the expense of stifling the entrepreneurial drive... even Apple's Steve Jobs would agree.
YES--excellent point. Instead of Home Ec where you learn to bake cookies etc., and in addition to vocational training (automotive, plumbing, construction), todays high schools need to have business and entrepreneurial tracks. A few years of post-grad courses at the community college level would set a youngster on her way. Forget four-year colleges with liberal arts degrees that deliver no jobs.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:41 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
If anything, young people have been spoiled by lies and deceit.

-They never got the right FACTS to make a good judgement about their future. They got marketing (US news and world report rankings). They got ancedotes (Mr history teacher went to college 30 years ago, therefore I should go).

Kind of like, Mr History teacher went fishing 30 years ago. Therefore if I go to the lake, I can catch the same fish. No! It's part of this deceit and bending of the facts.

-They got social pressure (gotta pass those tests!). Young people have been pretty much pressured from all sides to go to college.

I think kids now have gotten a generation of people who care about themselves (teachers that care about their tenure and benefits). I think its a moral failure to load kids up with debt and push them into degrees....that their own teachers wouldn't get now.

I don't think the boomers age 60-65 really want to own up to what's changed in the world. They want to stay on the expressline to retirement. Let the misfits "rally" (i.e. occupy wall street). Let them do whatever....let them bang on drums....but don't let them touch my tenure or benefits.

-I think the "lost generation" isn't really stupid, they're just misdirected. How many debates did they have in highschool about austrian economics?

(Any wonder that they're "lost" now, occupy wall street? They don't know where to stand on issues because they were never properly educated). Ludwig von mises isn't in your history book. Or the real history of the Federal Reserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics