U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,214 posts, read 8,518,148 times
Reputation: 7775

Advertisements

I spent a couple summers in college working about 60 hours a week (factory work). By the time Sunday rolled around (usually the only day we had off), I would be so burnt out that I hardly felt like doing anything. Pretty much just stayed at home to relax. I was just a college kid then. I can't imagine doing that with a family and other commitments for any extended period of time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,126,208 times
Reputation: 5461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yeah, there' so much more to life than work. This time of year I like to ski when not working. Sometimes snowshoe. In summer, well hike, backpack, and mountain bike like mad. Work? When I'm doing all that stuff work is the last thing on my mind. Life's far too short to waste it away slaving away for an extra dollar. Find a passion, or two or three, and get out and live life. It beats looking out the office window and watching it pass you by.
Why the hell are you working the job you have if you feel that way? I feel sorry for anyone who chooses to have a job they hate like this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,451 posts, read 20,443,420 times
Reputation: 3657
For me it is as an independent contractor looking for freelance opportunities I'll work whenever I can get it. Some days I sit here expecting work that never comes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,214 posts, read 8,518,148 times
Reputation: 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why the hell are you working the job you have if you feel that way? I feel sorry for anyone who chooses to have a job they hate like this.
Where did he say he "hates his job?" I think you even acknowledge that your views on work are extreme and not the norm. If you are content with your career and life, that's great. However, just because other people have priorities higher than work, doesn't mean they automatically hate their job or are "unfulfilled."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,126,208 times
Reputation: 5461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Where did he say he "hates his job?" I think you even acknowledge that your views on work are extreme and not the norm. If you are content with your career and life, that's great. However, just because other people have priorities higher than work, doesn't mean they automatically hate their job or are "unfulfilled."
If you spend your time at your job staring out the window wishing you were doing something else, you hate your job. A job doesn't have to be 'work'.

My job rarely ever feels like 'work' to me. I hate this modern attitude that it is unacceptable to actually enjoy what you do for money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,011 posts, read 27,092,397 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you spend your time at your job staring out the window wishing you were doing something else, you hate your job. A job doesn't have to be 'work'.

My job rarely ever feels like 'work' to me. I hate this modern attitude that it is unacceptable to actually enjoy what you do for money.
What you described sounded like modern day slavery no matter how you try to argue that you love it.

If it makes you happy, then we're all happy. But let's be honest that none of us wants your kind of job
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,126,208 times
Reputation: 5461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What you described sounded like modern day slavery no matter how you try to argue that you love it.

If it makes you happy, then we're all happy. But let's be honest that none of us wants your kind of job
So you would rather be miserable for 40+ hours/week than be paid to do something you enjoy?

How does that make sense?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,214 posts, read 8,518,148 times
Reputation: 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
My job rarely ever feels like 'work' to me. I hate this modern attitude that it is unacceptable to actually enjoy what you do for money.
I think many people do enjoy their jobs (I know I do). Why that has to go hand in hand with working a huge amount of hours, according to you, is what I can't relate to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,011 posts, read 27,092,397 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you would rather be miserable for 40+ hours/week than be paid to do something you enjoy?

How does that make sense?
I love my job. But anything more than 50 hours is slavery. If I'm working 80 hours, I better get paid in double.

You make it sound like 60 to 70 hours a week is okay. Do you even have time to take a dump?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,126,208 times
Reputation: 5461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I love my job. But anything more than 50 hours is slavery. If I'm working 80 hours, I better get paid in double.

You make it sound like 60 to 70 hours a week is okay. Do you even have time to take a dump?
60-70 hours is not a lot of time. This is exactly why I said America has become lazy.

Equating more than 50 hours to slavery is stupid, at best. I have more of a social life than many people who work 35-40 hour weeks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top