Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 11:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Maybe the OP phrased it backwards, as the two situations, renter and food-insecure, may correllate, but not be causally related?

Or maybe the more likely relationship is that food-insecure folks are more likely to be renters.

That is quite a different statement, no?

There seems to be evidence that The Rent Is Too High causes food insecurity. People moving into Section 8 housing spend on average ~$100/mo more on food than they spent previously.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I presume you're talking about a refrigerator. The house already has a refrigerator, it lacks adequate freezer space fox six people.
I bought a tiny freezer at BiMart for $99. It works perfectly. I know you have access to BiMart. The thing is 5 cubic feet. It's small and could be fit easily into a bedroom. It holds a lot of food, much more food than a refrigerator freezer. I just put a 40 pound purchase of chicken breast ($1.10 a pound) into there with plenty of room left over for more stuff. I have a couple of 5 pound bags of frozen veggies in there and there is still 20 pounds of frozen french fries that I use to make pizza (40 pound box for $11), plus a bunch of tubs of dog food. If you are good at packing, this little thing holds a lot of food and keeps it all frozen rock solid.

I just walked over and checked the label. It is rated to cost $26 a year to run it. You can save a heck of a lot more than $26 a year on food if you can take advantage of some bulk shopping.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:26 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
(scratching head) Where would I put said refrigerator?
I can only conclude that you live in such a nonstandard rental arrangement that your endless arguments about how it is and how it should be are not connected to a situation that can ever make sense.

You may as well be arguing the problems of homeowners from a cardboard box under a bridge.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
There seems to be evidence that The Rent Is Too High causes food insecurity. People moving into Section 8 housing spend on average ~$100/mo more on food than they spent previously.
In order to get section 8 you have to be low income. There is no reason for rent to decline by $100. The landlord has his expenses and expects to make a profit. So long as there are people able to afford the rent the price stays the same(Who cares is not everyone can afford that amount). Hence why section 8 was created.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I bought a tiny freezer at BiMart for $99. It works perfectly. I know you have access to BiMart. The thing is 5 cubic feet. It's small and could be fit easily into a bedroom. It holds a lot of food, much more food than a refrigerator freezer. I just put a 40 pound purchase of chicken breast ($1.10 a pound) into there with plenty of room left over for more stuff. I have a couple of 5 pound bags of frozen veggies in there and there is still 20 pounds of frozen french fries that I use to make pizza (40 pound box for $11), plus a bunch of tubs of dog food. If you are good at packing, this little thing holds a lot of food and keeps it all frozen rock solid.

I just walked over and checked the label. It is rated to cost $26 a year to run it. You can save a heck of a lot more than $26 a year on food if you can take advantage of some bulk shopping.

I will check that out, there are Bi-Marts here. Probably weighs a ton and requires two people to move it.

My room is like 8x8 and is already cramped.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I will check that out, there are Bi-Marts here. Probably weighs a ton and requires two people to move it.

My room is like 8x8 and is already cramped.
Other problems renters face location insecurity. A homeowner likely will be living in the same spot years from now. A renter has to plan as if he might not(i.e. can i move said item).

Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In order to get section 8 you have to be low income. There is no reason for rent to decline by $100. The landlord has his expenses and expects to make a profit. So long as there are people able to afford the rent the price stays the same(Who cares is not everyone can afford that amount). Hence why section 8 was created.

Section 8 = tenant pays 30% of income for rent. (Remaining rent is subsidized by govt.) Many people moving into Section 8 housing are moving OUT of rentals where they had been paying 50% of their income for rent. The RENT doesn't change, what changes is how much of the rent is paid by the tenant.

That's how they spend $100/mo more on food - money no longer going to rent magically becomes available for food.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Section 8 = tenant pays 30% of income for rent. (Remaining rent is subsidized by govt.) Many people moving into Section 8 housing are moving OUT of rentals where they had been paying 50% of their income for rent. The RENT doesn't change, what changes is how much of the rent is paid by the tenant.

That's how they spend $100/mo more on food - money no longer going to rent magically becomes available for food.
And the reason why they are spending 50% of their income is because their income is too low(not the rent is to high). Rent includes costs like property taxes, mortgages on the building, repairs and profit for the landlord. There is a limit to how low it can go hence the problem is that the renter does not have enough income.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Other problems renters face location insecurity. A homeowner likely will be living in the same spot years from now. A renter has to plan as if he might not(i.e. can i move said item).

Some people here will spin that by saying the renter has FREEDOM that the homeowner doesn't have.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Some people here will spin that by saying the renter has FREEDOM that the homeowner doesn't have.
Life is very unequal esp. for the low income. For instance having a car allows you to live farther from work giving more options as to rent or mortgage costs. It also allows you to easily transport items in bulk. Where I live I see lots of low income people trapped with expensive stores because they don't have a car.

The renter has a freedom the homeowner does not have and that is the freedom to move at any moment. However that freedom is purchased at the price of rent that can go up at the will of the landlord(barring rent control) and the renter has less control over some things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics