Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 02:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Have you ever held a job? Negotiated a salary? Negotiated benefits?

If you had, you'd understand that they healthcare that people "get" are part of their pay for doing a job. They don't "get" it for free.

Minimum wage employers do not "negotiate a salary" - or benefits for that matter.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Minimum wage employers do not "negotiate a salary" - or benefits for that matter.
No reason to as its an entry level job if it is mw.

No matter how long people stay entry level in their skill sets.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:17 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
As long as we're talking second jobs, how many of you would like to work 60 to 80 hours a week and then come home and cook a full meal and do that the next day, and the next? Sometimes there's a reason people get fast food and easy to make, but unhealthy meals from the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
associates degree can be had in 4. many states offer scholarships tied to lottery, low GPAs get you one.

Tn pays for those 2 years, in full, at any state community college.

McJobs have hardly helped the OP escape from his boarder lifestyle have they. Excuses also have not helped the OP.
Well, at 60, I'm not moving to Tennessee to get an Associate's when most businesses want you to have a Bachelor's. And I don't fancy waiting around to win a lottery, since I've been sooooo lucky at the real one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Can be, but doesn't have to be.

That's the point being made here, that the tired "oh but it's so much more expensive to eat healthy so poor people are forced to eat junk" is way overstated. The biggest factors in choosing to eat an unhealthy diet are effort and knowledge, not cost. There are plenty of websites and blogs that demonstrate a healthy diet from basic food that can be bought in any grocery store for as cheap as the prepackaged junk food, but one has to actually cook instead of just opening cans or boxes to add boiling water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The point is, you can eat healthily and inexpensively. To do so--nor not--is a choice.

I'd love to see you people eat healthy on $6 a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Fire fighters and support staff make good money. If they dont have money its because they spent it unwisely. I know a lot of fire fighters cops and support staff. Trust me they make money.
I believe this was sometime during the 60s and if I had to guess what their money was being spent on, I'd say, oh, maybe their three children.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:49 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well, just DUH, and SMH.

The survey also looked at homeownership, race and having a disability in relation to food security. Results showed that 4.9 percent of homeowners and 15.5 percent of renters were food insecure, meaning they had “low” or “very low” food security.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres.../cb16-193.html
What the Hell is "food insecurity"?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
As long as we're talking second jobs, how many of you would like to work 60 to 80 hours a week and then come home and cook a full meal and do that the next day, and the next? Sometimes there's a reason people get fast food and easy to make, but unhealthy meals from the store.

Well, at 60, I'm not moving to Tennessee to get an Associate's when most businesses want you to have a Bachelor's. And I don't fancy waiting around to win a lottery, since I've been sooooo lucky at the real one.

I'd love to see you people eat healthy on $6 a day.

I believe this was sometime during the 60s and if I had to guess what their money was being spent on, I'd say, oh, maybe their three children.
Dude seriously.....the 60s? Ok .... Even then they should of been able to have a middle class lifestyle.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:41 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yet they have money for beer, dope, tobacco and lottery tickets.

Obviously, their priorities are whacked.
Who is "they," exactly? Renters? Poor people? People of a certain race or religion?? Just wondering who you're specifying here, so I can then ask for your data on this "fact."

Orrrr could it possibly be hyperbole? Nah.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
What the Hell is "food insecurity"?
It's a fancy way of saying "they can't always afford food." In other words, you are lacking the SECURITY of knowing there will be food on your (and/or your children's) plate every night.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Last time I "got" Cheerios I was asked to pay for them. Name one employer offering healthcare without it being built into comp.
Since I'm not a corporate worker, what exactly does "being built into comp" mean? Just asking, because I don't pay a dime for my healthcare - which includes full medical, dental, and vision - as long as I work 80 hours in a (two-week) pay period. I'm a public union worker, though, so that's part of our contract. Comp? Not sure.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
............I'd love to see you people eat healthy on $6 a day. .........
Of course it is possible to eat a good balanced diet on $6 a day. That will even pay for some nice variety in the diet. Perhaps you don't know how to cook? Other than some crock pot meals which cook all day (although with very minimal preparation time), $6 a day will even pay for some very quick to cook meals for people who work long hours.

Try going to the cooking forum and ask for $6 menus and you will receive lots of suggestions.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 02-04-2018 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 07:13 PM

928 posts, read 970,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know what the government thinks the definition of food insecurity is, but I have yet to see any low income people, including the homeless, who look emaciated from hunger. Most of them, especially the children, are overweight. So they are all getting a steady supply of food from somewhere.

The only underweight people are the meth heads and even they aren't skeletal, so they are getting food when they remember to eat.
Yes, I have to agree with you on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics