Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 08:46 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If you've got a couple stove burners, an oven, and a microwave there is no reason you can't cook your all your meals in any kitchen. People all over the world cook all their meals in kitchens with far less space and facilities than an typical American apartment galley type kitchen.
You mean... you could heat up a can of soup in something less than a stainless-and-granite, dual oven, butcher-block chef's kitchen?

Old 02-03-2018, 09:40 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No reason.............but do Americans know this?

It doesn't matter that the rest of the world can do it, the article was about Americans.

Do they know this?
Do they know ... what, exactly? Do they know that they can cook in their kitchens?

In many ways, it can actually be easier to cook in a galley-style kitchen. Everything is closer together, so it's pretty efficient. I have a galley-style and cook a lot. The only real challenge can be counter space, but it's really not a big deal.

The better part of your (original) argument is the grocery desert some demographics live in. Particularly in urban areas where people don't have cars and it is a multi-transfer bus journey to an actual grocery store. People end up having to rely heavily on convenience stores in some of those areas.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
The better part of your (original) argument is the grocery desert some demographics live in. Particularly in urban areas where people don't have cars and it is a multi-transfer bus journey to an actual grocery store. People end up having to rely heavily on convenience stores in some of those areas.
And prices tend to be higher in the stores that remain in such areas. This has been observed since at least the 1970s. Even Target and other high-profile stores do it - I saw price variations just recently when I chanced into a second Target in the crummier end of town.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
My sister in law lives paycheck to paycheck. She makes $11 an hour and lives in housing. (Minimum wage in California is $10.50 an hour) She does not own a car hardly has anything of value. When she gets paid, one check goes to rent, the other check pays her living expenses. She runs out of money before she runs out of month.

We often have her over for dinner and send food home with her. My wife has taken her shopping. Now here is the kicker. When she shops on her own she buys her food from the higher cost supermarket mainly because it is a block away from her apartment. My wife has tried to show her that other stores are cheaper and offered to take her to where we shop. Yes, we make a lot more money than her and we shop at a chain that sells for a lot less than where my sister in law shops.

My sister in Law has to have her morning coffee. Instead of making it at home she prefers to walk over to the 7 11 and spend $2.29 for a large coffee. To help her save money we bought her a coffee maker and supplied her with the coffee for it. She prefers the taste of the 7 11 coffee.

When she gets paid she sees that as an opportunity to eat out instead of taking that money and buying food. At least she does not do this on the check she uses for rent. The places she likes to eat are all fast food places. She does pay her other bills off first. Why does she eat out? She feels that she needs to treat her self. She has earned the right to treat her self because of all the work she did at her job.

I will be doing her taxes soon. I do them each year for her. She always gets money back from her taxes. I have told her to adjust her deductions at work so she can have that money during the year. She told me that if she did that the government would give her less money. LOL. I had to explain that the government wasn't giving her anything.

She does love getting that tax money though. You would think that someone that hardly has any money would be able to save the tax money. Nope, not her. She spends it all within a short time frame. I maybe could see if she was taking the money and buying something of value with it. To look at her apartment though, it is sparse. Not a lot of things in there. I know plenty of places that advertise, "bring in your tax return and we will sell you this cool stuff in our store" I know of some places that advertise they will do your taxes for you if you spend money in there store.

What my sister in law does is pretend she has money all the time, and she takes old friends out to eat, only not at McDonalds. She can blow thru $2,000 or $3,000 easy taking friends to eat. When I say friends, that does not include my wife and I who do all these things for her. Of course we would probably tell her that is a bad use of her money.

I bring up my sister in law because I think she is representative of many poor people. They have opportunities to save money but place more value on getting rid of money.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:15 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No reason.............but do Americans know this?

It doesn't matter that the rest of the world can do it, the article was about Americans.

Do they know this?
There are a lot of things Americans NEED TO START LEARNING. I think maybe that was part of liquiang's point. Information is easier than ever to find. But the thing is, people have to want to learn/be/do something different than what they are--and a lot don't.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:18 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Yes, I'll concede this is a valid point.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:27 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Could be a "Rent Is Too High" problem.
More like "Skill set is too low" problem.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:46 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yes.

If you've got a couple stove burners, an oven, and a microwave there is no reason you can't cook your all your meals in any kitchen. People all over the world cook all their meals in kitchens with far less space and facilities than an typical American apartment galley type kitchen.

Hell even the microwave is optional, the place I'm living right now doesn't have a microwave and I still cook most of our meals in it. The only way that has limited me so far is popcorn.
You should have asked in the food section and would have gotten very helpful hints on how to pop corn without microwave.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:48 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Do they know ... what, exactly? Do they know that they can cook in their kitchens?

In many ways, it can actually be easier to cook in a galley-style kitchen. Everything is closer together, so it's pretty efficient. I have a galley-style and cook a lot. The only real challenge can be counter space, but it's really not a big deal.

OP does not live in Kansas but in Cali in a metro area. A bicycle may be a potential multi function tool for him.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
More like "Skill set is too low" problem.

So where would those people go to expand their skill set?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics