Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 08:37 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if i was really poor to be honest i think i would take my chances eating the unhealthy stuff just because personally it tastes better and i would find it difficult living daily , day after day on what my choices would be to stay low down and dirty in price and eat healthier . nor would i want all the work preparing all that stuff in some fashion so it tastes better .

the cost difference is only what it means to you and whether what you are buying works for you . i have enough of a problem finding things to eat as a diabetic on no meds . 90% of the supermarket is stuff i shouldn't have . so our healthy eating includes lots of fish ,seafood , stews with meat , etc .. my wife is pretty good at making crock pot stuff . but it cost what it cost .
I continue to be in awe at how easily you can turn threads into discussions of mathjak's personal preferences

Old 02-04-2018, 08:52 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
because you can't speak for what others want or will or can or can't do .

all the poor can be ordered to eat nothing but the lowest healthy cost foods and only their food stamps will be good for those same items .

but that does not mean eating healthy will be any cheaper for those with choices and abilities to eat more desirable foods albeit more expensive .

you are making a premise that because certain items are low cost and healthy that everyone wants to go that route which is silly

Old 02-04-2018, 09:07 AM

948 posts, read 922,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
How are the rents remaining so high, if there isn’t someone who is affording them?
Just because people can afford to pay the rent, doesn't mean they have anything left over after they pay it.

Shelter is a primary need, and real estate investors prey on that. Renters tend to pay a large percentage of their income on it, because they can't go without it.

When my husband lost his job a few months after our baby was born, we were stuck with an income of only $1,500 per month, and rent took 75% of that. We always managed to pay the rent, but struggled to pay utilities and buy healthy food. I don't want to ever go through that again.

They say that you should never rent a place that costs more than 30% of your income, but many people do, because they just can't find a place that costs less.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
you are making a premise that because certain items are low cost and healthy that everyone wants to go that route which is silly
Apparently you're so busy generating posts on here all day every day that you don't even bother to read what you're responding to. I never said that everyone wants to go any route, my point was that it isn't necessarily more expensive to eat healthy. I made no comment about what anyone else wants to do, that is merely a hijak107 (tm) construction used as an excuse to babble about his personal diet preferences again.

Since you're busy building straw men I'll repost both of my comments on this subject of food affordability:

1. "Nonsense, it doesn't cost that much more to eat healthy. It's more about the knowledge and the effort."

2. "Can be, but doesn't have to be. That's the point being made here, that the tired "oh but it's so much more expensive to eat healthy so poor people are forced to eat junk" is way overstated. The biggest factors in choosing to eat an unhealthy diet are effort and knowledge, not cost. There are plenty of websites and blogs that demonstrate a healthy diet from basic food that can be bought in any grocery store for as cheap as the prepackaged junk food, but one has to actually cook instead of just opening cans or boxes to add boiling water"

Nowhere did I made no comment about what others want to do, so you're just pulling another hijak107 to invent something to respond to. You either post so much you get confused, have poor reading comprehension, or you're being intentionally dishonest.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:13 AM

948 posts, read 922,021 times
Quote:
rents are where markets want them .
That's the problem. Modern Americans see housing as a investment, not the primal need that it actually is.

Speculators destroy this country, by driving up prices for their own profits, without contributing anything useful to the country.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
one of our many community college, post secondary other training programs, college.

They must supply the initiative.

If not, they can instead spend a lifetime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2D2Ozh-olI

But they're not free, which means I cannot afford them. You forgot the pesky little MONEY issue.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But they're not free, which means I cannot afford them. You forgot the pesky little MONEY issue.
You can afford to speculate in volatile commodities though...

Quote:
As a silver bug, I've recently bought some so I check prices.
Quote:
I can't afford gold, so I buy a little 90% silver on the dips.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
associates degree can be had in 4. many states offer scholarships tied to lottery, low GPAs get you one.

Tn pays for those 2 years, in full, at any state community college.

I'm pretty sure I can't get one of these scholarships in any state, and it has nothing to do with GPA.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:30 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Get a 2nd job then. Save for it via that income stream.

We will not stop you from exercising your right to work MORE for things you would like, but presently cannot afford.

Each week has 168 hours. Use them productively.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
You already have a college degree. You’ve spent decades doing nothing with it. I believe the reasoning for that was you wanted to go to law school but couldn’t. You should have accepted that law school wasn’t an option and actually used the degree you had.

But, the ship has sailed. At 50 something the education you did get is useless because you’ve done nothing to retain or grow its value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.