Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 02:46 AM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
BWAHAHAHAHA. +1.

What ever happened to OPs oh so priceless collection?
That which will lift OP out of poverty (LOL).

Old 02-05-2018, 02:58 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The parochialism of NYC seems boundless.

Take a look at the link for the NYC definition of bungalow, folks, then read the rest of the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungalow#Bungalow_colony
you get the point, cheaper or more expensive is all relative to someones starting benchmark or it really has no meaning . anyone can do anything in life cheaper or more expensive , it is only our personal choices that govern what is more or less .

like the old philosophers who discussed the fact that two people can look at a horse gallop and one will go wow , he is going fast . the other said no he isn't that is just a typical stride .so the argument was how can one object possess both qualities . therefore the perception of slow or fast can only be in our individual minds .

Old 02-05-2018, 05:24 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Minimum wage employers do not "negotiate a salary" - or benefits for that matter.
I'll take that as a "no" then. So you're speaking of something you know nothing about. Noted.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
Quote:
not many are going to limit themselves to a bungalow
Raises hand. I love my modest bungalow. The style is so homey. I bet the majority of NYC renters would be thrilled to have a bungalow and a yard if it were convenient to their work.

Your lifestyle is an outlier, MathJack. Just as much of an outlier as fremkt's is. It isn't relevant to 99% of the US population. You can post it as a data point but please don't assume it is relevant to the way most of us live.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 AM

we all have our personal choices as to how we live including the masses between the top and the bottom .

eveyone's idea of what is cheaper or more expensive will always be based on their own lifestyle , not mine . for some doing something different than they are can cost more than it does and for others it can cost less .

just making a statement like healthy eating can be done cheaper or the same can be true for some willing to eat that way but not true for others who have their own preferences and that is my point . in the real world not everyone can be judged by the same benchmarks because not everyone will be willing to accept the cheapest way out nor do they do things the cheapest way they can before making a change . when it comes to eating preferences and food costs there is a huge range of what is acceptable .

could we all do anything in life cheaper ? of course . will we in practice always pick the cheapest way ? most likely not . life is about having choices. the more choices we can afford the more choices we will make . so the benchmark for what is cheaper and what changes cost more is ultimately a personal issue

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-05-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 07:56 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you just don't get it . anything can be made cheaper or more expensive than an alternative , there is no arguing or revelation there .
And yet you appear in the thread arguing against an opinion you've attributed to me, that I never said. So are you delusional or a liar?

Quote:
what is relevant is only your own cost difference . so talking in hypothetical terms , with hypothetical food items that people may want to use or even like is not going to be very practical or meaningful
The comment I made was that it doesn't have to be more that much more expensive to eat healthy. If you don't think that point is relevant then not commenting would be a better option than attempting to derail the discussion by fabricating opinions to argue against.

Quote:
i am done with this nonsense and meaningless discussion
This would be fine, since you haven't actually provided anything useful besides more cutesy anecdotes about mathjak107's favorite subject = mathjak107.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:01 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The point is, you can eat healthily and inexpensively. To do so--nor not--is a choice.
Exactly.

Some people don't know how to prepare food from ingredients, so their only option is to buy prepared foods which are often less healthy at low price points. That is totally different than saying they can't afford to eat healthy.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:10 AM

i agree with that . you always can do anything for more or less money . but whether you choose too , want to or can is a different story .so when someone says they switched to a healthier diet and it cost more , that can certainly be a fact , without everyone challenging them telling them they can live on beans and oatmeal and rabbit food or things they just don't want to spend a lot of prep time with , and that is my point because that is what is done here .

the facts are healthy eating can be done cheaper , but it can also be more expensive depending on choices and no one should be telling others what to eat just because it is a cheaper alternative trying to negate the fact that for them it cost them more . i can say that for me unequivocally eating healthier has raised our food bill .
for others it can be different . but it certainly does not call for a challenge because there are cheaper foods out there .

there is little in life that is not determined by our personal choices so you can't rule it out with blanket statements .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-05-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Minimum wage employers do not "negotiate a salary" - or benefits for that matter.
Why not? Why would anyone fail to negotiate a better situation? Lets look at McDonald's. I have a niece that works at a McDonald's near us. She has been working at that location for five years I think. During that time frame she moved up the ranks and now is a shift Supervisor. For her she likes McDonald's and plans on going into management.

I never knew to much about McDonald's and how you can move up in the business. We have become close to a couple. The husband got his start at McDonald's He had been general manager for McDonald's in our area overseeing 15 locations at one time. A couple years ago the owner sold most of his locations keeping just two in his portfolio. Our friend ran those locations for the owner until the owner decided to sell them. After those two sold my friend left McDonald's after a 32 year career. Interestingly enough, he had job offers coming from everywhere. For a 6 month period he did not work. He took time off. Last month he went back to work for a nationwide company, outside of the fast food industry. Him and his wife own a beautiful home, have a solidly middle class lifestyle.

Another family member also worked at McDonald's. He started in high school and continued on when he started going to the local Junior College. He met his girlfriend there and both of them transferred to a university in another part of the state. He ended up getting a job in a bank while he was going to school. The bank took him because of his work ethic that he learned at McDonald's.

In each of these cases the people moved up within the organization. They never sat idle. You can say that they did not negotiate. I would say that they were negotiating all along. It was their actions that did the talking. They worked hard to make improvements in their life.

Minimum wage is a sore subject for me. I would dismantle the law stating we need a minimum wage. Let the market say how much someone is worth. Minimum wage is saying someone is worth something and that may not be a correct assumption. Many people are worth more than minimum wage and many people are worth less than minimum wage. Those that move up within the ranks have proved that they are worth more than minimum wage. Those that continue to stay at minimum wage are probably not worth the money they are being paid.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:45 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
As long as we're talking second jobs, how many of you would like to work 60 to 80 hours a week and then come home and cook a full meal and do that the next day, and the next?
Yep, that's what I do. I work a lot and I cook healthy meals at home. You must think I'm crazy.

My thinking is, if I'm working more to build up retirement savings or pay off bills, why would I waste it on unhealthy fast food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics