Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:12 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why do I need to tip extra to a guy who's driving a $70,000+ car??
We tip based on the service going above and beyond, not on our perception of their personal finance situation.

A server at a high end steak house probably makes a ton more money than one at Waffle House, but that sure doesn't get factored into what kind of tip we leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We tip based on the service going above and beyond, not on our perception of their personal finance situation.

A server at a high end steak house probably makes a ton more money than one at Waffle House, but that sure doesn't get factored into what kind of tip we leave.
I've worked in jobs that depended on tips so if someone goes out of their way to do a good job and if friendly and efficient you should tip as much as you can. One time driving for Uber I took 4 people from Michigan to the next city over to a steakhouse they wanted to go to. We talked about Uber and I was shocked to get a $20 tip for a 30 minute ride or so. I always try to tip even if I don't have much. I had a mattress delivered and gave them a tip and they said I didn't have to but I wanted to. It was only $5 each but at least they can get a snack or a sandwich for lunch. I've had futurity delivered and I think most people in my are don't tip to the point where they leave so quick I had to run to the truck to hand them a tip. But I prefer that to people with their hands out.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:18 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Which makes it worse and he probably only made about $5 on the ride before expenses from Uber and he may have had to drive a few miles to get to you.
He is choosing to do this work, and again doing so in a car that costs close to what I paid for my home. I'm not going to sit there and calculate what his expenses vs profits are. It's a beach town, 99% of his riders are probably only going a few miles.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
He is choosing to do this work, and again doing so in a car that costs close to what I paid for my home. I'm not going to sit there and calculate what his expenses vs profits are. It's a beach town, 99% of his riders are probably only going a few miles.
Your husband is more generous than you are. In money and spirit.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Your husband is more generous than you are. In money and spirit.
My Uber app said the tip is built in. In a situation where it's not, I'm a good tipper.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My Uber app said the tip is built in. In a situation where it's not, I'm a good tipper.
You must not be in the US or using Uber Taxi because it's not built in. You do have the option to tip after the ride now. When I drove for them briefly this was not allowed and Uber's policy with the former CEO was to tell people they did not have to tip.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:57 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Question on UBER - are you limited by geography? In other words if I live 50 mils outside of NYC or Philly, can I drive into the city and wait for business?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Question on UBER - are you limited by geography? In other words if I live 50 mils outside of NYC or Philly, can I drive into the city and wait for business?
It sounds like it’s by the state rather than city . Sounds like uber you have to stay in that state but lyft allows you to work in multiple states . It did sound like there are exceptions on Uber for border areas . I imagine they allow New York drivers to drive into jersey and vice versa .

Not sure how accurate this is though , according to this article since things change .

Article mentions there was a guy that did a road trip and gave lyft rides in like 60 cities .. seems like it could be a cool way to see the country and get paid .

https://maximumridesharingprofits.co...ltiple-states/

Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You must not be in the US or using Uber Taxi because it's not built in. You do have the option to tip after the ride now. When I drove for them briefly this was not allowed and Uber's policy with the former CEO was to tell people they did not have to tip.
I am in U.S. I believe you, but I never got any sort of notification that it wasn't the case anymore, and if I didn't, maybe no one did (customers).

Old 06-15-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I am in U.S. I believe you, but I never got any sort of notification that it wasn't the case anymore, and if I didn't, maybe no one did (customers).
It was never included, it's just the CEO didn't want anyone to tip, in fact he didn't allow drivers to accept them at first and then he was sued and he had to allow people to tip cash if they wanted to. He fought it until he was ousted as CEO, even a month before their promos said NO TIP, NO CASH, NO PROBLEM. Not saying you could not tip but saying you did not have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics