Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:22 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Every where I look, I see a Uber or Lyft stickers on a car and many of them are very nice. Ive always wondered why so many people would put their nice cars through the ringers for pennies on the dollar.

I know it beats working for McDonalds for $8hr and you make your own schedule, but with the extra cost of insurance, wear and tear, more maintenance and not even knowing who you will be picking up now, does this show a different state of our economy where so many are willing to do this?
It was challenging enough for regular taxi drivers to make a profit, and earn enough to live on. All I've ever heard is that the Uber/Lyft people really struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 05:29 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Have you ever seen a nice taxi? No? Me either so why would you want to turn your car into a taxi?

I recently heard a great one liner describing uber/lift: Its basically organized hitchhiking! You get in a strangers car and go for a ride!
This is exactly what it is. In Harlem, they call them "gypsy cabs". No middleman, either; no Uber or Lyft to take a cut.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:53 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
After deduction 53.5 cents for every mile driven while doing Lyft, to and from and during a ride you claim to make $12 an hour during rush hour too? I only did one ride for Lyft, my last ride ever for Uber or Lyft. Their maps GPS navigation was awful. Then they show the amount of the ride, not what I got paid for it. Same as Uber, Lyft is Uber for people who got kicked off Uber or don't have a debit or credit card.
Hmm... how do you get paid without a card? (Serious question. I always had it transferred to my debit card/checking account.) I only did it for 3 months, and sporadically. It wasn’t for me. I didn’t like it either, but some money was better than none. I was an engineering contractor at the time, so there was a time when I was between contracts.
I never applied for Uber.

Also, my experience using the two services as a means to get around seemed to be the opposite. I’m not sure how true this is, but it seems like Lyft does more thorough background checks than Uber? Many Uber cars I’ve been in smelled like cigarettes, and there have been quite a few drivers who seemed rough around the edges. Or who didn’t speak English.
Either way, I think it’s possible to do OKAY driving for them. It won’t replace a regular full time job, but then again, I also don’t think one can make ends meets working elsewhere at minimum wage.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Hmm... how do you get paid without a card? (Serious question. I always had it transferred to my debit card/checking account.) I only did it for 3 months, and sporadically. .
I don't know what you mean. As a passenger they can use a prepaid card with Lyft, like one of those Visas that you pay to put cash on it.

I didn't mean as a driver, but all you need is a checking account and they would deposit into you bank instead of your debit card number.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:28 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
https://www.ridesharingdriver.com/su...ly-make-share/

Old 06-16-2018, 08:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's just a ridiculous site, all the info is wrong and way off. It's just and add so they can get referral fees for new drivers who use their promo link. Basically a pyramid scheme.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:53 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Every where I look, I see a Uber or Lyft stickers on a car and many of them are very nice. Ive always wondered why so many people would put their nice cars through the ringers for pennies on the dollar.
I think it depends on where you live. I had a nice conversation with my Lyft driver a few weeks ago. He lives in a college town. He has been doing it for a few years and it seems to be working out for him. He does a nice business during holiday season taking students to the airport. <--which is 40 mile run. My rate was $62 @ 3:00am, I added a $5 tip because he was a nice guy with a family trying to do good.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:45 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hear more and more these people just are not making enough money for what they need to put out to do this work. Maybe in a small town where one does not sit in traffic like where I live, but it sounded like a great plan, but people are finding not the case.
Yep
There was a mechanic I talked to recently that said he has a had a few Uber drivers come in for repairs.
The repairs can be very expensive to the point where it is not worth it.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I saw a pretty detailed analysis someone did driving for Uber (he calculated gas, maintenance, insurance, etc.) and it came out to $12/hour gross and about $9.50/hour net after expenses.

Good money? Hell no. However that's for a pretty comfortable work environment and a low barrier for entry as long as you're car is okay. One could make a reasonable case that $9.50/hour sitting in your air conditioned car is a lot better deal than stocking shelves on your hands and knees, doing landscaping in the sun, or telemarketing all day to people who hate you.
Nope
I hate my commute to work much less doing it for a living.
You would need to pay me about 50 dollars an hour to drive in traffic in a big city, which is where you would need to be as an Uber driver.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Exaggerating about what and why would I do that? I resent the accusation and find your post highly insulting.

How the heck should I know how many Uber or Lyft drivers are "driving 75K per year" What a stupid question, as is the statement "shouldn't that be expected." Well, obviously it's not being considered enough which is the reason for my on topic post. That is the point.

I doubt not very many Uber or Lyft employees as a whole are logging in that kind of mileage. But this is the Washington, DC metropolitan area which is obviously one of the biggest in the country. I stated a fact very clearly that there are some who are driving about 5,000 miles per month. I personally see this.

Not enough consideration is being given to how much a car depreciates when miles is accumulated when someone takes this kind of job. That along all other obvious expenses makes this a very unprofitable business for one to go into.

Yep
The only winners really are Uber and the cockroaches on Wall Street that want a cut of other peoples money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics