Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Question on UBER - are you limited by geography? In other words if I live 50 mils outside of NYC or Philly, can I drive into the city and wait for business?
It depends on your area and the rules and the drivers app. the app will tell you if you can or not. I did one long drive from SW Florida to Fort Lauderdale. As I crossed over from Collier to Broward county the top of my app turned red. I could drop off there, but when I did I could not pick up any rides there.

It was my understanding that I could drive in the Orlando area or Tampa and pick up rides there. I think certain areas have different rules as to car inspections or other things that keep you from other areas.

I also heard about this happening if you drive in north Jersey and go to the shore you can't pick rides up there, don't know if that has changed or not.

Why you would drive 50 miles to do a few $5 rides is a better question and then have to drive back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 12:55 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,204 times
I've thought about driving for a ride-share company for weekends only since I live about 2 miles from an airport, but I'm not sure I want to complicate things with insurance and I'm not sure people would want to ride in my cars:

2001 VW Golf TDI 5-speed 5-door
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Alison transmission
2007 Lexus Rx400h
2013 Fiat 500e

I own all the cars and paid less than 40% of their original MSRP, so I'm ahead there. I guess the Lexus would be the most desirable of my cars to ride it, but the Fiat is by far the cheapest to operate. We're talking $.005 cents per mile since my solar array effective costs $.02/kWh.

Renting my vehicles through Turo might make more sense. We've got 4 cars and there's only two of us. We live near an equestrian and nautical area so the Duramax might makes sense for someone who wants to haul a loaded trailer.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:02 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
The people I know who do Uber/Lyft like it a lot.

The people I know are good with what they make -- on their schedule.
No one's telling them what time they have to be where.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My fiancé and I were picked up in a pretty new-looking Cadillac Escalade once. My fiancé tipped him on top of the built in tip and I scolded him for it after we got out, lol.
Why did you scold him in the first place?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why did you scold him in the first place?
Because I thought the guy got his tip already, he was obviously well off, and my BF spends money like water.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The people I know who do Uber/Lyft like it a lot.

The people I know are good with what they make -- on their schedule.
No one's telling them what time they have to be where.
The app tells them what time they have to be at the pick up address.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I've thought about driving for a ride-share company for weekends only since I live about 2 miles from an airport, but I'm not sure I want to complicate things with insurance and I'm not sure people would want to ride in my cars:

2001 VW Golf TDI 5-speed 5-door
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Alison transmission
2007 Lexus Rx400h
2013 Fiat 500e

I own all the cars and paid less than 40% of their original MSRP, so I'm ahead there. I guess the Lexus would be the most desirable of my cars to ride it, but the Fiat is by far the cheapest to operate. We're talking $.005 cents per mile since my solar array effective costs $.02/kWh.

Renting my vehicles through Turo might make more sense. We've got 4 cars and there's only two of us. We live near an equestrian and nautical area so the Duramax might makes sense for someone who wants to haul a loaded trailer.
It’s kind of funny when I read the beginning of the post I thought Turo .
I’ve been interested in it but just have one car and it’s an older one that’s not in the best shape .

I know some people have a bunch of cars in turo and make it a full time thing . Certain cars seem to do better in certain areas . There are a lot of expenses of course so I’m wondering how much people are making after all expenses.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:37 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
I did Lyft for a while when I was between jobs. It wasn't bad. I was definitely making a profit. After gas expenses, I calculated about $12/hr on average. It wasn't much, but hey, drive around town during peak hours (6-11AM and 4-8PM) and you could pretty easily rake in a good $90-$100/day.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I did Lyft for a while when I was between jobs. It wasn't bad. I was definitely making a profit. After gas expenses, I calculated about $12/hr on average. It wasn't much, but hey, drive around town during peak hours (6-11AM and 4-8PM) and you could pretty easily rake in a good $90-$100/day.
After deduction 53.5 cents for every mile driven while doing Lyft, to and from and during a ride you claim to make $12 an hour during rush hour too? I only did one ride for Lyft, my last ride ever for Uber or Lyft. Their maps GPS navigation was awful. Then they show the amount of the ride, not what I got paid for it. Same as Uber, Lyft is Uber for people who got kicked off Uber or don't have a debit or credit card.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,404 times
You’d do better with a company that does pickups and drop-offs to and from airports. You’ll have a better idea of your work for the day and the mileage put on your car (unless they also provide one and you go with that option). These aren’t necessarily the limo companies. They just offer a ride in a car or SUV similar to an Uber service. They only service a particular area and they only do rides to and from the airports.

I scheduled with such a company recently for a trip and on the way back I asked the driver how she liked it. She said it was much better than Uber, which she had done before. Not only the little pay with Uber was an issue, but she wouldn’t get paid right away. Chargebacks were more likely also. Plus she lived in the suburbs, so taking rides near her home to go to the airport was a lot easier than having to go all the way downtown or on the far side of the city on overcrowded weekends and fighting a lot more traffic to make the “best money”. That money still wasn’t what she would make on a few airport trips.

One thing she told me also that I didn’t think about, but people who take Uber and Lyft also try to take advantage once they are in your car. They will request stops to pick up stuff and then request extra drop-offs for each passenger. She said there wasn’t really a way to charge for the extra time and stops taken, the fee was based on the final destination given. I know Lyft can do this - if the passenger is honest upfront - so maybe Uber updated to do the same.

Either way, just offering an alternative suggestion to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics