Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My fiancé and I were picked up in a pretty new-looking Cadillac Escalade once. My fiancé tipped him on top of the built in tip and I scolded him for it after we got out, lol.
You should tip extra if you can, and there is no built in tip, you can tip or not now thru the app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 02:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
My fiancé and I were picked up in a pretty new-looking Cadillac Escalade once. My fiancé tipped him on top of the built in tip and I scolded him for it after we got out, lol.
If it was an Escalade they are probably doing the higher end Uber like UBERSUV . Wouldn’t make sense to use an new Escalade just for UberX I don’t think .

The higher end Uber rides pay a lot more , but some of these drivers probably take what they can get if it’s slow.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:00 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You should tip extra if you can, and there is no built in tip, you can tip or not now thru the app.
Why do I need to tip extra to a guy who's driving a $70,000+ car??

Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If it was an Escalade they are probably doing the higher end Uber like UBERSUV . Wouldn’t make sense to use an new Escalade just for UberX I don’t think .

The higher end Uber rides pay a lot more , but some of these drivers probably take what they can get if it’s slow.
It was regular Uber, I never go for the more expensive ones. I have met several drivers though who aren't really doing it because they need the money, but retired guys who just want to have some sort of job out of boredom and they enjoy meeting new people.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
It was regular Uber, I never go for the more expensive ones. I have met several drivers though who aren't really doing it because they need the money, but retired guys who just want to have some sort of job out of boredom and they enjoy meeting new people.
Some might say that because they don’t want to admit they need the money .
I’m sure some might do it out of boredom but seems there are a lot of other things one could do with the time
Also might depend on the area . In L.A I don’t imagine there are too many retired people doing it out of boredom

Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Some might say that because they don’t want to admit they need the money .
I’m sure some might do it out of boredom but seems there are a lot of other things one could do with the time
Also might depend on the area . In L.A I don’t imagine there are too many retired people doing it out of boredom

Well this is not a city I’m in so of course it would not be like Los Angeles. I can’t see anyone enjoying doing it in an area like that. But I don’t think the drivers really needed the money I am the kind of person where we *** the entire drive, and they were just jovial old men who seemed to enjoy it. I work in assisted-living facilities and nursing homes, and I can tell you there are many, many men who feel purposeless without some sort of a job whether they need the money or not.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:58 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Why do I need to tip extra to a guy who's driving a $70,000+ car??
Because the ride is more comfortable than the guy who's driving a $10,000+ car.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
I think if you're lucky and live in the right market and drive the right car you may be able to make around minimum wage, maybe slightly more. The perfect car would be a 8 year old corolla/civic that already has a ton of mileage on it, so the additional miles aren't as costly and you should know how to do small repairs and all maintenance. Some of the cars I see are definitely taking a loss, the worst car economically I have been picked up in is a V8 charger. I have been picked up in quite a few V6 suvs too, at best they are probably getting around 15 - 20 mpg.
An 8-year-old Corolla with a ton of miles on it may be on the back end of the depreciation curve... but you'll also incur replacement cost(s) more rapidly/frequently. And if you're fixing it yourself, you'll need to include your labor time to arrive at an accurate hourly pay rate.

Quote:
Unless it's a licensed taxi or limo, there is no "built-in" tip; and in the latter cases it's only "built-in" if you specify a default tip percentage beforehand.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because the ride is more comfortable than the guy who's driving a $10,000+ car.
What do I care about that? We were going about 3 miles.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
What do I care about that? We were going about 3 miles.
Which makes it worse and he probably only made about $5 on the ride before expenses from Uber and he may have had to drive a few miles to get to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics