Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 PM

117 posts, read 129,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
This was meant as a joke, right?

The cab industry is highly regulated. Uber and Lyft have zero regulations. And their drivers net under $10 per hour
States with minimum wage levels higher than $10 per hour should take note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 01:52 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Our last Uber drove right past us and picked up other people, lol. It was night, we were leaving a BBQ at a boat club. I saw the car coming, leaped up and down to get his attention, but he whizzed past us around a corner. I picked up my phone, opened the app and tried to get to the "contact your driver" section, but by that time he had already picked up other people and all it said was "How was your ride? Rate your driver".

He picked up and drove other people to another address than the one I had requested, and it went on my account, under my credit card! I don't know if it was someone else from the BBQ or from a bar down the street. I was so mad I gave him 1 star (my bff, who drives for both Uber and Lyft, scolded me for that when I told her). We then used Lyft and got our ride home 10 minutes later. I contacted Uber through the app though and they credited me back my money and gave me a $5.00 credit for a future ride. That's the first time I've ever had an Uber stolen out from under me.
Not cool! Glad you got your money back.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think it depends on where you live. I had a nice conversation with my Lyft driver a few weeks ago. He lives in a college town. He has been doing it for a few years and it seems to be working out for him. He does a nice business during holiday season taking students to the airport. <--which is 40 mile run. My rate was $62 @ 3:00am, I added a $5 tip because he was a nice guy with a family trying to do good.
Does Uber and/or Lyft take a portion of the $5 tip?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC White Collar View Post
Does Uber and/or Lyft take a portion of the $5 tip?
No they don’t take a part of the tip . I believe it’s illegal to take a part of tips even if they wanted to.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:41 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Quote:
The app tells them what time they have to be at the pick up address.
You really didn't know what I meant?

They don't have set hours or a set schedule for working.
How's that? Is that better? or you still don't get it?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:57 PM

could be better or worse.

better if you're looking for a side-gig/2nd job and the flexibility helps you in your situation.

worse if you're main job is with Uber/Lyft and you're trying go gauge the best times to work, yet you just have to learn by trial and error.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,463 times
I take Uber a lot for work. I need to set up Lyft... I've had several drivers say that Lyft is better for both of us.

I know it's an incredible screw job, so even just a decent ride gets a tip. But Uber suddenly sent me a series of tip charges two weeks after the ride was done... and after my expense reports were done. I got them to credit a good chunk of that back. But I really need to start using Lyft as much as possible.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I take Uber a lot for work. I need to set up Lyft... I've had several drivers say that Lyft is better for both of us.

I know it's an incredible screw job, so even just a decent ride gets a tip. But Uber suddenly sent me a series of tip charges two weeks after the ride was done... and after my expense reports were done. I got them to credit a good chunk of that back. But I really need to start using Lyft as much as possible.
Yeah Ive heard lyft is better for drivers too , but it seems a lot of drivers do both as it might be hard to just do lyft .
Always nice to have multiple options I guess since it’s not much effort to sign up for both .

Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Every person Ive known that has tried it, didnt last long, said its not worth it and ended up making below minimum wage after expenses.

I dont think Uber, Lyft, etc will be around too much longer, what they created is a nice idea, but its not practical to do long term, you cannot ask people to work for so little and demand so much of them at the same time.

We already have cab companies, seems like Uber was just trying to re-invent the wheel to some degree.
I think Uber/Lyft will put the taxi industry out of business, sadly. Riding in a clean car feels better than riding in a dirty taxi. It's modern and trendy and people love to use their smartphones. Whereas taxis have a bad reputation as being dirty, old, and old-fashioned.

I honestly wouldn't know what phone number to call to get a taxi where I am, but I sure know how to get Uber and Lyft if I needed to (download their app, easy!), so if I needed a quick ride somewhere, these days, Uber and Lyft are in my mind, not the taxi. Sadly.

There are plenty of people willing to drive for "pennies on the dollar" because it's a side job, so if you somewhat enjoy driving, have a smartphone with a map app that tells you how to get there (beat that, you don't even need to look at a paper map and figure out the directions yourself!!), and have some time, why not? This is same as making "pennies on the dollar" on internet side jobs like taking surveys and transcribing on Mturk.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:10 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I honestly wouldn't know what phone number to call to get a taxi where I am, but I sure know how to get Uber and Lyft if I needed to (download their app, easy!), so if I needed a quick ride somewhere, these days, Uber and Lyft are in my mind, not the taxi.
Exactly.

Not only do I not always know a taxi number, I don't even necessarily have telephone service on my smartphone. I've taken Uber in South Africa, Thailand, Indonesia, India, Colombia, Mexico, Panama, etc. and often I used wifi of an airport/mall/hotel/cafe. It doesn't matter whether I could speak Thai to call someone, the Uber app works I got a clean car that knows exactly where I'm going and charges me on my US credit card with a fair forex rate to US dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics