Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 PM

257 posts, read 177,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Since OP was recently hired it would be virtually impossible/implausible he was termed for age discrimination. The employer had 3 interview opportunities to deny employment based on age.

Not necessarily, not at all. Hiring managers aren't always the same people as day-to-day supervisors. Should be, but often arent', especially for lower level positions. Hiring manager finds someone who fits the job description, then says to young junior manager "hey, we found someone for your team." If young junior manager decided the OP was too old to fit in with all the other members of his team who were closer to him in age, goes to his supervisor and says "so-and-so isn't working out" and upper supervisor takes his word for it, that would be age discrimination.

There is generally a honeymoon period for a new employee, and it's well beyond two months. With the effort and hassle of finding and hiring someone new, to turn them loose and start over that fast is usually a PITA. So OP's job letting him go that fast, something fishy is going on here. Either he himself was a real problem (major screwup, habitual tardiness, etc) that he's not telling us about, or there is something going on at that company. In the vein of being civil on this board, and also because if OP did screw up and isn't saying, pressing him wouldn't do any good anyway, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't do anything wrong and entertain the possibility that not fitting in with Millenials means he might have been age-discriminated once he got there, and let him know his options if that was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Age discrimination. But you need some proof of that. Such as copies of emails, notes, etc. any witnesses to anything said that might have been discriminatory. Discrimination is very hard to prove and it's hard to win these types of cases. Even when someone was really discriminated against.
How is there any indication of age discrimination? Being the oldest is not proof of anything.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:21 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
I went on three rounds of interviews for this positions. And finally I was hired. Then I went to work and there were millennials with blue hair, piercing, IPODS. I spent two months at the company and was let go because of "bad corporate fit". Now I want 2 be compensated. Do I have a case to sue?
Absent a (legitimate) employment contract that says it can't be done like that or some other legitimate discrimination basis, you have squat as far as a lawsuit is concern. However, under DOL rules (even if the state claims otherwise) , bad fit without misconduct is not a disqualification for unemployment insurance benefits. So, if you have the right amount of current and former qualifying wages, benefit quarters, and separations, you can collect unemployment insurance payments.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:24 PM

425 posts, read 391,808 times
My senses tell me this is a troll post.

If not, it seems your attitude towards others was dragging down the moral at a company that promoted teamwork.
Nothing you can do, find a company that operates as you expect them too.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:30 PM

257 posts, read 177,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How is there any indication of age discrimination? Being the oldest is not proof of anything.

Nobody is telling OP they have an age discrimination case, only mentioning it based on OP's comment about everyone else on their team being a Millenial, giving it as an avenue for the OP to consider if this happened to him/her based on his/her experiences, which were obviously not expounded upon in the original post. OP could file a complaint with EEOC, and perhaps if there have been other complaints against the same employer, this would indicate a pattern of discrimination. Seeing the age and skill level of the person hired to replace OP might also support a discrimination claim. Again, people are just giving the OP an avenue to consider, not making the decision that age discrimination actually took place.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:01 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Now I want 2 be compensated.
Perhaps that company doesn't like to employ people who don't know the difference between "to" and "2".
This could simply be a case of termination as a result of... bad grammar.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Nobody is telling OP they have an age discrimination case, only mentioning it based on OP's comment about everyone else on their team being a Millenial, giving it as an avenue for the OP to consider if this happened to him/her based on his/her experiences, which were obviously not expounded upon in the original post. OP could file a complaint with EEOC, and perhaps if there have been other complaints against the same employer, this would indicate a pattern of discrimination. Seeing the age and skill level of the person hired to replace OP might also support a discrimination claim. Again, people are just giving the OP an avenue to consider, not making the decision that age discrimination actually took place.
So consider an avenue to pursue that is essentially baseless from the beginning? Umm...okay.

The OP had three interviews and was hired. Why are people not willing to consider that the OP just sucked at the job?

Old 07-05-2018, 03:58 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why are people not willing to consider that the OP just sucked at the job?
I am willing to consider that as the most likely explanation, but--for many people, probably including the OP--reality can be difficult to accept.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:05 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
You can tell a lot about a company by just walking through the halls there. Just saying.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:13 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
I went on three rounds of interviews for this positions. And finally I was hired. Then I went to work and there were millennials with blue hair, piercing, IPODS. I spent two months at the company and was let go because of "bad corporate fit". Now I want 2 be compensated. Do I have a case to sue?
Ugh. iPods are so 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics