Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 08:56 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
In most areas of engineering, the prospects look good. With ANY job, regardless of your career path, geography always matters and that has been the case for decades. There is nothing different in this market as with previous markets.

Again, you seem to be the source of your employment issues.
It's more complicated that that.

I'm from a small metro in northeast TN. Aside from a Fortune 500 chemical company, the regional hospital, and some government and banking jobs, there isn't much in the way of professional employment here.

We're so far from a major job center (Charlotte is the closest at 3.5 hours away) that it's difficult for a new graduate to even get an interview in an area where there are jobs. Why would a Charlotte or Nashville area employer interview from my regional state U when they have better colleges locally? This "problem" isn't just for junk majors - most of my social circle were CS and business school grads, and ran into these issues.

I'd have to take at least a day off to interview in most major Southern cities. Ideally, it would be a Friday, but most employers are hesitant to do Friday interviews.

If it's a job that's far away, I'd have to connect in Charlotte or Atlanta. The airtime would probably burn at least another a day of vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 09:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's more complicated that that.

I'm from a small metro in northeast TN. Aside from a Fortune 500 chemical company, the regional hospital, and some government and banking jobs, there isn't much in the way of professional employment here.

We're so far from a major job center (Charlotte is the closest at 3.5 hours away) that it's difficult for a new graduate to even get an interview in an area where there are jobs. Why would a Charlotte or Nashville area employer interview from my regional state U when they have better colleges locally? This "problem" isn't just for junk majors - most of my social circle were CS and business school grads, and ran into these issues.

I'd have to take at least a day off to interview in most major Southern cities. Ideally, it would be a Friday, but most employers are hesitant to do Friday interviews.

If it's a job that's far away, I'd have to connect in Charlotte or Atlanta. The airtime would probably burn at least another a day of vacation.
As you will note in my post, I stated that geography matters and that has been the case for decades.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
23% of 400 million is $92,000,000

28% of 120,000 is $36,000

They pay a lower rate, but pay more overall....

Friday, Feb 2019

https://fee.org/articles/the-rich-pa...oaAjX8EALw_wcB

Old 12-26-2019, 04:28 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I tend to trust people I know rather than someone on the internet.
So a single data point is better than a professional study - no wonder you are so out of touch.

Last edited by ddeemo; 12-26-2019 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Huh, not what I heard from people who actually live and work in Germany. People have alot more protections and the burger joins pay well and the consumer pays $30 for a cheese burger in switzerland becuase even their mcjobs are not as MC as they are in the USA. Yes its still a burger joint but the people are better paid and respected.

Its not the same as the USA.

Education is WAY cheaper to retool, unemployment is WAY better, while your right its not impossible to have a lay off in Germany its WAY harder than in the USA. You have to get governmental permission and you better have a REALLY good reason, not just becuase you want to prop up your stock prices.

You dont see mass numbers of homeless like we are now seeing in the USA and cities that resemble 3rd world countries in certian parts of US cities. You will find none of that in Germany or Switzerland.

Every major US city and even major towns are pushing 2% homelessness and that does not count the people who are only a few pay checks away from homelessness, living in their car or couch surfing etc. These numbers purposely dont get counted (kind of like under employment) becasue if it did it would paint a REALLY bad picture.
What unions exist in China or India - more than 2/3 of the worlds population lives in countries where unions are unheard of. Even if much of Europe, unions are not a large portion of the work force. According to OECD data, only 17.7% of Germany's work force is unionized.

Have you ever even been to Europe? Current unemployment is much lower in the US than the rest of the world - jobs exist if they make economic sense. People get fired in EU just like in the US if the job is not needed. Also - No one pays $30 for a fast food burger in EU or any where else.

You are romanticizing what is happening elsewhere to fit your ideas, that is not reality - homelessness is a huge problem in much of Europe. Here is actual data; https://www.dw.com/en/europe-faces-g...oar/a-43058016

Quote:
Among those counties with the highest increases in homelessness were England (up 169 percent between 2010 and 2016), Ireland (up 145 percent between 2014 and 2017) and Belgium (up 96 percent between 2008 and 2016).

Those countries that have seen the most dramatic increases in housing costs are Bulgaria, England, Portugal, the Czech Republic and Poland. Across Europe, homeless people die some 30 years sooner than the rest of the population. On average, they live on the streets for 10.3 years.

The situation has deteriorated in one country in particular known for having a well-functioning social safety net system: Germany. According to the FEANTSA study, some 860,000 people in Germany were homeless or had no place of residence in 2016. That suggests a 150 percent increase between 2014 and 2016.

Roughly half of low-income households in Germany spend more than 40 percent of their income on housing. Only two other countries, Bulgaria and Greece, require citizens to spend more to have a roof over their heads.
I know doesn't fit your expectation, but this is reality.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:02 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHw4...XnhEO&index=13

Old 12-26-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
In most areas of engineering, the prospects look good. With ANY job, regardless of your career path, geography always matters and that has been the case for decades. There is nothing different in this market as with previous markets.

Again, you seem to be the source of your employment issues.
I'm not unemployed any more, I got a second degree and changed disciplines. But the fact that I had to do that to stay in a given area does not paint a good picture for engineering. How many doctors have to do that?

Old 12-26-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Unions can still exist without corporations, the become guilds. The whole name of the game is to keep skilled labor from being commoditized which is what corporations do at every turn.

There is a very fine ballance of labor not wanting their skills commoditized and consumers and buisness owners grossly over paying and everything becoming so unaffordable that only the guilds have modern things becuase no one else can pay the exorbant rates.
You missed the point - if Unions can contribute to political parties, so can Corporations - neither is a real person - they are both collectives, one of workers, the other of shareholders.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Except for a few rural places? Really? You have run a full analysis of rent across the US and have done the same for Germany? Germany has less homeless people because it has a much smaller population. The homeless rate in Germany is actually higher than it is in the US.
So are you saying that the Germans just cover up their homeless problem alot better than we do? You dont hear about mass numbers of people living in tents or dying from preventable disease or dying of exposure, etc. So are you saying this is happening at the same rate per capita in Germany and they just cover it up?

Old 12-26-2019, 05:32 PM

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/de...ant-insurance/

This needs to be felony criminalized and result in human rights violation charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics