Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 06:57 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's not "fear mongering" simply because you disagree. We don't know the survival rate without knowing how many people will eventually contract the virus. At this time we have only very limited data about infection rates. We do know that 55,000 Americans have been killed by COVID-19 and many more will die; the question is how many. Will it be another 55,000 or maybe 110,000? Isolation and quarantine are proven methods to minimize the spread of viruses. I'm sure it is little comfort to the families of the victims to know they are in such a minority which seems to satisfy you.
That 55,000 or maybe 110,000 figure is wrong if you factor in co-morbidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 07:09 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's not "fear mongering" simply because you disagree. We don't know the survival rate without knowing how many people will eventually contract the virus.
Now you’re intentionally being oblivious about a subject that you have the numbers on. There is zero evidence to suggest this virus is even 2% deadly. Why? Because we don’t have the testing yet and the death rate only goes down once you figure out the true infection numbers with more testing. And last time I checked, we don’t need ventilators or hospital beds anymore which means the peak has come and gone.

Staying inside was not to save you or your grandparents, it was to prevent the healthcare system from collapsing and that never happened. Not even close.

The next step is herd immunity which Sweden has already implemented. Again, no one on the planet will be on lockdown for 12 months while you pray for a magic bullet vaccine or mass testing breakthrough. We literally made thousands of hospital and ventilators for something that never came. Not even the Navy hospital ship in NYC has 5 people in it.

So much for that fearmongering.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:46 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Now you’re intentionally being oblivious about a subject that you have the numbers on. There is zero evidence to suggest this virus is even 2% deadly. Why? Because we don’t have the testing yet and the death rate only goes down once you figure out the true infection numbers with more testing. And last time I checked, we don’t need ventilators or hospital beds anymore which means the peak has come and gone.

Staying inside was not to save you or your grandparents, it was to prevent the healthcare system from collapsing and that never happened. Not even close.

The next step is herd immunity which Sweden has already implemented. Again, no one on the planet will be on lockdown for 12 months while you pray for a magic bullet vaccine or mass testing breakthrough. We literally made thousands of hospital and ventilators for something that never came. Not even the Navy hospital ship in NYC has 5 people in it.

So much for that fearmongering.
The numbers never came because we took social distancing measures and vowed businesses. So it worked, and you’re trying to twist that into “it was never needed”.

There is more evidence leaning against herd immunity than for it. Yesterday lots of articles about we don’t know yet if antibodies are protective when it comes to this virus.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:39 AM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The numbers never came because we took social distancing measures and vowed businesses. So it worked, and you’re trying to twist that into “it was never needed”.

There is more evidence leaning against herd immunity than for it. Yesterday lots of articles about we don’t know yet if antibodies are protective when it comes to this virus.
Where is the evidence that “social distancing” was the cause of “flattening the curve”. I’ll wait for the answer that doesn’t exist.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:50 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Where is the evidence that “social distancing” was the cause of “flattening the curve”. I’ll wait for the answer that doesn’t exist.
I don’t think there is the ability to separate one thing out and analyze it unless you can account for every other variable such as masks etc. But I trust out scientists and medical leaders know what they are talking about and I’m going to believe them when they say social distancing works.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
The death rate also might go up with more testing. There are some areas with much higher death rates for months in early 2020 than expected based on previous year data and variations in 'normal' influenza and other infectious disease death rates. And we weren't testing for COVID for deaths by things like stroke, which we now know can be a complication of COVID infection.

So I tend to feel like we're still in unknown unknowns territory on Donald Rumsfield's four square grid and have really been hampered by poor data collection at this point. I don't think it's realistic to shut down everything indefinitely/until we have a vaccine, but I do think we really still don't have a clue with what's goin on in some very important ways and it's worth pausing a bit longer to try to get a decent data set.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:03 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
And last time I checked, we don’t need ventilators or hospital beds anymore which means the peak has come and gone.
Now... if only we can change the public's behaviour such that the peak does not return.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:20 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The death rate also might go up with more testing. There are some areas with much higher death rates for months in early 2020 than expected based on previous year data and variations in 'normal' influenza and other infectious disease death rates. And we weren't testing for COVID for deaths by things like stroke, which we now know can be a complication of COVID infection.
The estimates of excess deaths are just starting to arrive. That's a pretty dramatic spike for the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...-undercounted/

Old 04-27-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
The numbers never came because we took social distancing measures and vowed businesses.
Sweden begs to differ.
Quote:
Where? And none of which justifies being on lockdown for the next 12 months while 20+ million people seek food bank and unemployment assistance.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Now... if only we can change the public's behaviour such that the peak does not return.
Well you’re in the wrong country then.
Quote:
Malibu, California(CNN) Seeking relief from a heat wave, thousands of people crowded beaches in Southern California this weekend amid the coronavirus pandemic, despite a statewide stay-at-home order implemented by the governor last month.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/us/so...eat/index.html

Guess you’ll have to stay inside forever, based on the rate of people “risking their lives” to get out the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics