Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 07:11 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I expect some amount of deglobalization to occur. Are we not all sick and tired of supply chain trouble by now ?
That's been going for sometimes now by the international community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9kfOxBecc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_t1bb8dfsk

https://www.ft.com/content/4d8285a2-...e-4367d8281195

Last edited by davidt1; 08-09-2020 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 07:13 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The Chinese baby boomers are between 45 and 60. In 15 years, there will be an extra 200 million people on state pensions there. This is going to constrain them immensely. Remember they peg their currency to the dollar so it will be even harder to pull this off. There is another baby boom cohort currently in their 30s... but behind them is not much so their labor force will shrink. Look at Japan and Russia for examples of shrinking labor force effect on economy.
100's of millions of Chinese people have recently been raised up to the middle class. Most importantly their lifestyle immensely improved in a short time. The Chinese central command obviously knows a great deal about modern fiat. Pensions based in Yuan should be no problem. Trade using dollars could be. And that could expose China's largest weakness. Food, agri and energy imports. Especially as they turn more toward their immense numbers of their own people/consumers.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:20 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Spoken like a true CCP wumao.
LOL, so you believe in aliens controlling the earth? Spoken like a true Heaven's Gate cultist.

I mean, aliens are kind of cool and everything...are you a Falun Gong alien?

Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
No. The current CCP administration has plan to shut its door once again. If it does, then the whole country will go back to the Mao's era.

They might come out ahead of the world. Releasing the virus was a brilliant move.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrestricted_Warfare

Old 08-10-2020, 04:01 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
If China seeks the role of Superpower then they had better start having more babies over there, or, not going to happen, allow more immigrants into the country, and we know how they feel about Muslims. They can't do it with robots alone.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:18 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
China has already taken over as the new superpower.
What are you basing this on?

Economically? Politically? Militarily? I honest can't think of one reason someone would believe this other than they read it on the internet and decided sounded scary so must be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I really think a lot of people don't understand the definition of "superpower". Right now there is only one superpower. It's been that way for at least 30 years, since the fall of the Soviet Union. China isn't anywhere close to a superpower and I don't see that changing at least in my lifetime. If anything, I see China regressing from its current position due to increasing tension with its neighbors as well as countries like the U.S.
Yep.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:21 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
No. In fact, China will not exist in its current form in 10 years time.
You should learn Chinese, then you could double your opportunities to go on forums to tell everyone doom is coming.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:22 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
No. The current CCP administration has plan to shut its door once again. If it does, then the whole country will go back to the Mao's era.

anything with ties to falun gong is not a credible source.
that includes youtube channels Epoch Times, NTD, China Uncensored, anything featuring Simone Gao, Shen Yue (yes, even that POS show).

Old 08-10-2020, 07:27 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I really think a lot of people don't understand the definition of "superpower". Right now there is only one superpower. It's been that way for at least 30 years, since the fall of the Soviet Union. China isn't anywhere close to a superpower and I don't see that changing at least in my lifetime. If anything, I see China regressing from its current position due to increasing tension with its neighbors as well as countries like the U.S.
what constitutes a super power in your understanding of the definition?
economy? military? technology? influence through soft power?

china comes close in all but the last one, which they lag horribly behind.
and china was poised to surpass us economically in the 2020s. by some measures, they already have but the if going by the broadly used GDP metric, they have not.
I don't know if the virus has altered that trajectory any.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:22 AM

464 posts, read 202,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
China could be the new superpower if the US doesn't take this covid wake-up call and do what needs to be done. We need to start on an all out new cold war footing to defeat China the way we did against Russia.
I say we just Red Dawn those commie SOB's! Hoooorah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics