Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 01:26 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,761,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Look at housing and stock prices.

Our property is a hot commodity. Our stock market won’t slow for any force of nature.

My conclusion:

There is simply no better place on earth to live than the United States of America in 2020. There has never been anywhere better to live as far as having access to so much with such a high degree of upward mobility for even people with no skill following simple practical financial advice.

The US empire is just getting started.
Agree.

The diversity of business climates, actual climate, sea, land, and mountainous geographies is unmatched.

We also dominate innovative industries.

There's a lot of jealousy in Canada, Europe, and other places with lower per capita GDPs, as well as lower wages for high end jobs, which is why so many of their educated citizens come to the US.

Would help though if we let more people into the country. Excessive trade and immigration restrictions are for the weak who can't compete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Bottom line, the US is great for the wealthy and those who are ascendant. This probably equates to 10-25% of the population. You can really shoot for the stars here and if you make it, you can do better than most other countries. For the poor, working class and now middle class, there is more equality elsewhere, which provides a better quality of life.
What about for the Hondurans, Guatemalans, and Salvadorans who literally dying to get into this country? Why would they risk so much to try and get here then?

Have you been to Europe lately? French unemployment hasn't been under 8% for more than a couple months in a row since the early 90s. When Britain was in the EU, many young French were migrating to the UK to get out from under their perpetually lifeless economy. They were definitely equal - equally miserable.

Ultimately, we need more immigrants. If soft native born Americans want to whine about everything, plenty of other people would be happier to be here.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:20 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,970,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
What about for the Hondurans, Guatemalans, and Salvadorans who literally dying to get into this country? Why would they risk so much to try and get here then?

Have you been to Europe lately? French unemployment hasn't been under 8% for more than a couple months in a row since the early 90s. When Britain was in the EU, many young French were migrating to the UK to get out from under their perpetually lifeless economy. They were definitely equal - equally miserable.

Ultimately, we need more immigrants. If soft native born Americans want to whine about everything, plenty of other people would be happier to be here.
Im curious if you think we should disband the Constitution?
It says in the very beginning, the welfare of this nation is its number one priority.
That goes against your ideas.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:30 PM

51,021 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
ah yes, the good ole days...remember them well.....a 1000 sq ft house, 2/3 kids to a bedroom, one bathroom, one phone line you shared with 5 other neighbors, a new Chevy Biscayne every ten years, maybe go on a local vacation for a week and work the other 51 weeks. Good times lol.. If you weren't born in the fifties, you know nothing about those times.
I know we didn't have tent cities and bread lines. We had a nice house one of the first Levittown developments through the GI Bill, and we had three small bedrooms, we didn't share a phone line and honestly don't remember our car. It was a nice life till my fathers TBI. That changed our life in many ways but not in regard to medical bills. Today it would have bankrupted us.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:42 PM

761 posts, read 317,657 times
In the 50s my grandparents were working with 1100ish sq ft and 4 kids (12 year gap). 1 car. 1 full time income with my grandfather at the cotton mill and my grandmother doing hair at a beauty shop down the street part time . Home phone bill (I assume) and whatever the radio/tv antenna could pick up. Kids got a set of clothes/shoes ordered out of the Sears catalog 2x per year.

I personally know a couple doing the same now with 4 kids on about 3x what my grandparents made in 50s working poor wages (only husband works). They have a 3500 sq ft home, two $50,000 vehicles, 5 cell phones, braces x 3 or so, 2-3 weeks of vacations out of state, steak on the grill often, 20 Coach purses, etc.

A $60-$70k income can afford a pretty nice lifestyle in America.

Last edited by 87Camarottop; 01-02-2021 at 07:59 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 11:10 PM

109 posts, read 71,475 times
My problem with the USA is that it sells itself as capitalist when it really isn't, so I'd rather live somewhere that's more honest about it's economic system.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,895,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What I'd like is for everyone who thinks it's so awful here, after Covid blows over, to take a tour of secondary cities in France, Germany, Spain, Italy and England for a dose of hard reality.
Kind of like Memphis, TN but with lower crime and much iffier taste in music. (I remember passing through Manheim a while back and seeing ads for an a-ha show- only 80 euros a ticket)

Quote:
In the 50s my grandparents were working with 1100ish sq ft and 4 kids (12 year gap). 1 car. 1 full time income with my grandfather at the cotton mill and my grandmother doing hair at a beauty shop down the street part time . Home phone bill (I assume) and whatever the radio/tv antenna could pick up. Kids got a set of clothes/shoes ordered out of the Sears catalog 2x per year.

I personally know a couple doing the same now with 4 kids on about 3x what my grandparents made in 50s working poor wages (only husband works). They have a 3500 sq ft home, two $50,000 vehicles, 5 cell phones, braces x 3 or so, 2-3 weeks of vacations out of state, steak on the grill often, 20 Coach purses, etc.

With those specs, I'm also guessing no proper savings or retirement fund and the house used as an ATM in order to fund the lifestyle. Or alternately they're getting a significant something from parents or grandparents. The numbers don't add up for living on salary alone- you're talking $1200+ a month in car loans before you get into anything else.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Im curious if you think we should disband the Constitution?
It says in the very beginning, the welfare of this nation is its number one priority.
That goes against your ideas.
How so?

Everyone was an immigrant then and they weren't such p-ssies about having to compete.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:08 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,319,599 times
Quote:

Well that income would provide a nice lifestyle here and I imagine in other countries as long as the family does not live in a very high cost real estate area. Not in most of Sydney, think San Francisco prices, but in many other towns and cities. A family on 70k will get some family tax payments, heavily subsidised childcare, Medicare, at least four weeks annual leave from a full-time job.

There are many countries in the world where hard working people can live well. The UK has a problem with social mobility as a remnant of the class system, I imagine. In Italy, which is one of the poorer rich countries, connections are very important.

You never know where people get their money from. At one of our top private schools in Sydney, where the fees start from $US25,000 pa, apparently about 70% of the fees are invoiced directly to the grandparents.

The family described, with a large house, etc etc and a supposedly modest income would, here, more than likely be in the cash economy. Buying things like designer handbags is a good way to get rid of cash as the tax department cannot trace them too easily. My friend had a designer store and the partners of plumbers would come in with literally thousands in cash to get rid of.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,221,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
My problem with the USA is that it sells itself as capitalist when it really isn't, so I'd rather live somewhere that's more honest about it's economic system.
Correct we are almost the complete opposite of a free market and capitalist economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics