Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 10:59 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
All true. I'd just note that the childcare front will be temporary. In Massachusetts, isn't there universal pre-k? This cuts down the need to pay for daycare and the such years before children in many other states are eligible for school. And that's even if you have children!

Massachusetts, like many states I've looked at childcare options for, does seem to have pretty expensive options. But those are generally for the larger, highly-staffed locations. I've generally found that many areas (not sure about Massachusetts) have far cheaper options in the form of "mom and pop" day care centers where locals have secured a license. Now, folks will have to weigh the pros and cons (to include history/track record of a location), but I just point this out to say that there are often cheaper options.

No universal Pre-K, and, even worse, no universal kindergarten either. I was *shocked* when I moved here and a coworker mentioned that she had to pay for full day kindergarten. Of the 312 school districts in Massachusetts, only 224 districts offer tuition-free, full-day kindergarten. More kindergartens have gone full time and free in the past decade, but it's still not what I would expect from the state.

Since I hit my mid 30s, I've been calling local daycares to figure out the cost and situation so I will be prepared. At-home daycares in my area don't tend to take infants, largely because the ratios make it difficult. I'm sure there are some out there, but in most cases the child needs to be at least 1. At-home daycares are absolutely an option for me, especially since many are run by immigrants who speak in their native language (where I am, mostly Portuguese) to the kids which I find an asset. But it's not that much cheaper - still at least $2000, at least after the pandemic.

At my old work, there was an on-site daycare with a sliding scale. At 100K, I was expected to pay $2800 a month for an infant (and that wasn't in the highest bracket). That was more than half of my monthly check for one child! At my new job, the on-site daycare is $3000 a month for an infant. Of course, on-sites tend to be a bit pricier but both still have waitlists!

It's temporary but certainly can make it feel like you are paycheck to paycheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well the entire college aspect certainly doesn’t have to be paid for by parents, sure you can but that’s just another choice parents can make and burden themselves if they want
While that's true, the problem with this mentality is it means that the student of a 6 figure earner qualifies for absolutely no aid. IMO, choosing to have children as a high income earner and saving nothing for them is a really great way of helping your kid start a few steps behind. It would have almost been better for access had they been born to a poorer family in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 01:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
I'm shocked that people make the choice to have kids then think other people should pay the costs to take care of them.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:08 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm shocked that people make the choice to have kids then think other people should pay the costs to take care of them.
I don't think anyone thinks someone else should pay the costs...but I think some people get surprised when they find out what daycare costs...it's something that should be looked into before having a kid if that person needs to use daycare.

It would make sense to have public daycare or something like it. I'm not entirely sure how it would work and i imagine plenty of people wouldn't want to use it and would opt for private or a nanny. But these days I think a lot of folks would be happy to send their kids to a public daycare that they didn't have to spend so much of their paycheck on.

Everyone wants higher wages these days but I was surprised to learn recently that the average cost for a babysitter in my area can be up to $30 an hour. it's interesting because a lot can vary with babysitting...if you have 3 kids under 5 or 6 then yeah that's not an easy job...but what if they're asleep? What if there is just 1 easy 8 year old? Or two kids playing in the pool while babysitter sits in a chair watching? I think the babysitting fees have got out of hand a bit especially when it's a 17 or 18 year old charging the fees...but this is apparently what's happening. Obviously people have different incomes so it will be easier for some to pay the $30 than others. We would pay our babysitter $22 an hour or so to sit on the beach and watch our 5yo and 7yo for a few hours. On the one hand it's like, yep please make sure our kids don't drown...on the other hand it was like, we're paying a 20 year old $22 an hour to sit on the beach in the summer. It seemed like a pretty good gig to me!

Old 07-31-2022, 06:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't think anyone thinks someone else should pay the costs...but I think some people get surprised when they find out what daycare costs...it's something that should be looked into before having a kid if that person needs to use daycare.

It would make sense to have public daycare or something like it. I'm not entirely sure how it would work and i imagine plenty of people wouldn't want to use it and would opt for private or a nanny. But these days I think a lot of folks would be happy to send their kids to a public daycare that they didn't have to spend so much of their paycheck on.

Everyone wants higher wages these days but I was surprised to learn recently that the average cost for a babysitter in my area can be up to $30 an hour. it's interesting because a lot can vary with babysitting...if you have 3 kids under 5 or 6 then yeah that's not an easy job...but what if they're asleep? What if there is just 1 easy 8 year old? Or two kids playing in the pool while babysitter sits in a chair watching? I think the babysitting fees have got out of hand a bit especially when it's a 17 or 18 year old charging the fees...but this is apparently what's happening. Obviously people have different incomes so it will be easier for some to pay the $30 than others. We would pay our babysitter $22 an hour or so to sit on the beach and watch our 5yo and 7yo for a few hours. On the one hand it's like, yep please make sure our kids don't drown...on the other hand it was like, we're paying a 20 year old $22 an hour to sit on the beach in the summer. It seemed like a pretty good gig to me!

Oh but I think they do. You seem to yourself. Nothing is free. Everything has a cost. Words like "universal" or "public" are code words for having the cost subsidized, which is "having others pay for it". A "public" service will only be cheaper because it is subsidized.

Everyone wants higher wages when they are on the receiving end of them. But when it comes to paying for someone else's higher wages (i.e. babysitting/daycare) then it's a different story and they want "affordable" alternatives.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:15 PM

There is public school isn't there? That wasn't my idea and was around before I was born...do you have a problem with public schools?

People should be able to afford to have their kids but the point some are trying to make is that daycare in certain areas is unaffordable for many. It hasn't stopped people from having kids necessarily but people are waiting. Women don't tend to have high salaries to afford these day cares costs when they're in their 20's...I'm going to guess that's why people keep waiting to have kids. Is that the healthiest thing to put off having kids until ones late 30's/early 40's? I guess time will tell but it feels like that is what is happening in larger cities.

My kids are 6 and 8, out of the daycare phase, I don't have much of a dog in this fight...I had my parents who helped me out which I'm very grateful for before they went to school. But if I hadn't had my parents around we would have been looking at some expensive childcare.

I can absolutely see why people question the cost of daycare particularly when the workers aren't paid much still...but that's how they keep the lights on i guess.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:47 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,955 times
Quote:
There is public school isn't there? That wasn't my idea and was around before I was born...do you have a problem with public schools?

People should be able to afford to have their kids but the point some are trying to make is that daycare in certain areas is unaffordable for many. It hasn't stopped people from having kids necessarily but people are waiting. Women don't tend to have high salaries to afford these day cares costs when they're in their 20's...I'm going to guess that's why people keep waiting to have kids. Is that the healthiest thing to put off having kids until ones late 30's/early 40's? I guess time will tell but it feels like that is what is happening in larger cities.

My kids are 6 and 8, out of the daycare phase, I don't have much of a dog in this fight...I had my parents who helped me out which I'm very grateful for before they went to school. But if I hadn't had my parents around we would have been looking at some expensive childcare.

I can absolutely see why people question the cost of daycare particularly when the workers aren't paid much still...but that's how they keep the lights on i guess.
Daycare has always been expensive.

The average age for a first-time mother is 26. People who put off having children until their late 30s or early 40s do so for a variety of reasons. I doubt the cost of daycare is the primary consideration.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:49 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Daycare has always been expensive.

The average age for a first-time mother is 26. People who put off having children until their late 30s or early 40s do so for a variety of reasons. I doubt the cost of daycare is the primary consideration.
Ok, feel free to site your sources on why mother's are delaying childbirth then. It it certainly happening in major cities. 26 year olds who care about having a good life aren't getting pregnant in the Boston area.

I was able to find these articles quickly: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/16/u...rs%20had%20not

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleys...h=688a5edf276a

Old 08-01-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Ok, feel free to site your sources on why mother's are delaying childbirth then. It it certainly happening in major cities. 26 year olds who care about having a good life aren't getting pregnant in the Boston area.

I was able to find this article quickly: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/16/u...rs%20had%20not.
Paywall. ^^^

In Massachusetts, the average age of a first-time mother is 30. Education is cited as the key reason for delaying motherhood.

https://www.masslive.com/news/erry-2...ich-women.html

Old 08-01-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

The expectation of providing free or subsidized childcare across the board is galling. Public education is provided free of charge because it benefits society to educate children.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:33 PM

so what should a single mother getting paid $20 an hour in the Boston area do? Just stop working? leave her child home alone? find a babysitter who will do the job for less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics