Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 12:34 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Paywall. ^^^

In Massachusetts, the average age of a first-time mother is 30. Education is cited as the key reason for delaying motherhood.

https://www.masslive.com/news/erry-2...ich-women.html
right because typically education gives more money which is needed to raise a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 12:37 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Daycare has always been expensive.

The average age for a first-time mother is 26. People who put off having children until their late 30s or early 40s do so for a variety of reasons. I doubt the cost of daycare is the primary consideration.
Has daycare always been expensive? Can you cite average cost vs income? If not I’d understand but I think a lot of people would understand the claim that cost vs % of income has gone up significantly of the last few decades

Old 08-01-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Paywall. ^^^

In Massachusetts, the average age of a first-time mother is 30. Education is cited as the key reason for delaying motherhood.

https://www.masslive.com/news/erry-2...ich-women.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
right because typically education gives more money which is needed to raise a child.
Anna you gotta take a L here. msRB might have been slightly off on average age but knowingly on either side or not you walked right into a trap on the end issue. Women are delaying having children, are having less children and the main causes are education/cost and they both are intertwined. Delaying children to get an education is very often a earnings issue, having less children than historical averages falls into the same.

If you look at lower earning or extreme poverty scenarios they’d tend to have more children because it’s a route of survival, not daycare cost driving the reasoning

Old 08-01-2022, 12:50 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I never cited an average age. I have just seen the age of women having children go up significantly the past decade or so. Having a good income and savings seems to trump fertility declining at 35+. Lots of first time moms above 35 or even 40 these days.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:13 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Anna you gotta take a L here. msRB might have been slightly off on average age but knowingly on either side or not you walked right into a trap on the end issue. Women are delaying having children, are having less children and the main causes are education/cost and they both are intertwined. Delaying children to get an education is very often a earnings issue, having less children than historical averages falls into the same.

If you look at lower earning or extreme poverty scenarios they’d tend to have more children because it’s a route of survival, not daycare cost driving the reasoning

Her statement of people pushing off having children until their late 30s/early 40s is off by a decade. The average age of motherhood in Boston is 30 years old.

Anecdotally, I know lots of people who pushed off motherhood to pursue graduate and/or doctorate degrees. Many of my highly paid peers complained about the high cost of daycare twenty, twenty-five years ago. High-income areas tend to have high costs across the board.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Has daycare always been expensive? Can you cite average cost vs income? If not I’d understand but I think a lot of people would understand the claim that cost vs % of income has gone up significantly of the last few decades
Year 2000:

The High Cost of Child Care Puts Quality Care Out of Reach for Many Families

http://cdf.childrensdefense.org/site....pdf?docID=842

Old 08-01-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
so what should a single mother getting paid $20 an hour in the Boston area do? Just stop working? leave her child home alone? find a babysitter who will do the job for less?
Move. You do what you have to do to support your family.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:30 PM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone thinks someone else should pay the costs...but I think some people get surprised when they find out what daycare costs...it's something that should be looked into before having a kid if that person needs to use daycare.

It would make sense to have public daycare or something like it.
The purpose of government is to purchase services that are "public goods" and to provide for things where it makes economic sense for the community to pay collectively and for the government to purchase. Examples range from national defense to safety of the food supply, local police and fire services, a judicial system, etc.

Daycare is nothing like that. Daycare is not a public good. It is much more economic for individual parents to purchase daycare than for the community to tax itself to purchase daycare services on behalf of the whole.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 08-01-2022 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 01:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
so what should a single mother getting paid $20 an hour in the Boston area do? Just stop working? leave her child home alone? find a babysitter who will do the job for less?

Send you the bill.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Her statement of people pushing off having children until their late 30s/early 40s is off by a decade. The average age of motherhood in Boston is 30 years old.
She actually said at least from what I say 26 year olds aren’t getting pregnant, if 30 is the avg no stain age she was correct

Quote:
Anecdotally, I know lots of people who pushed off motherhood to pursue graduate and/or doctorate degrees. Many of my highly paid peers complained about the high cost of daycare twenty, twenty-five years ago. High-income areas tend to have high costs across the board.
So the cost of kids does influence the age of which you have children and how many you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics