Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM

914 posts, read 943,492 times

Advertisements

Well, if you want to get all technical, I guess.

I guess what I was driving at is

Teachers can teach answers, ideas, concepts.

A really good teacher teaches you how to USE THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 05:21 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
To continue- I'm looking into how to define critical thinking, or at least how others invested in the topic are defining it, and I've found this which looks ok to me. Let me know what you think. I have found an apparent teacher on some other website using your example as an example of criticle thinking and I'm curious if students are being taught that, that is what critical thinking is.

CriticalThinking.NET Definition of Critical Thinking

Honestly, all that sound like the run of the mill scientist.

Defining Critical Thinking

Critical thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I dunno. The elementary school teachers of the scientists who put Neil Armstrong on the moon didn't have "teach them critical thinking" at the top of their curricula. But I suspect memorizing the multiplication table was there.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Oh, I agree.

I only offered my word problem up as a very minor example.

And...probably most of our kids graduating our schools these days...could not have figured out how to solve the problem.

THAT was my real point.
Kids are taught answers.
They are taught concepts.

They are NOT taught how and when to apply them.
I agree, although we seem to be a ways from critical thinking. This discussion is more about being basically educated and I'm sure that's a concern across the board. I suspect as a society that we do not generally embrace critical thinking, which if we use some of the qualities listed above, can be exampled by religion, quackery, and blog citing.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Well, if you want to get all technical, I guess.

I guess what I was driving at is

Teachers can teach answers, ideas, concepts.

A really good teacher teaches you how to USE THEM.
Sure, makes sense. I'm not looking to get all technical, rather accurate. If we're going to use these words, and more importantly if teachers are going to use these words and ideas, it should be understood is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I dunno. The elementary school teachers of the scientists who put Neil Armstrong on the moon didn't have "teach them critical thinking" at the top of their curricula. But I suspect memorizing the multiplication table was there.
I don't see teaching it as a tool in the elementary school teacher's tool box. For scientists it's likely something learned over time via experience.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, most of them probably were taught critical thinking at the elementary school level. At least in this country. I'd guess the same would be true for the scientists educated in Germany. Learning/teaching the multiplication table in those days is a given.

Uncle Sam picked the best and the brightest for the space program and teachers in those days taught a great deal more than the elementary school teachers of today.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Ask him how he defines an "excellent" teacher?

If you ask ME...and "excellent" teacher is not one who teaches to the test, teaches kids to puke up an answer on demand, in order to pass this or that test.

The excellent teacher is one who teaches critical thinking to his/her students...and, unfortunately, there is no measuring stick that can measure this.

Here's an example of what I mean...it is one of my favorite questions to ask someone:

Imagine a man, six feet tall, were to walk around the Earth at the Equator - 25,000 miles.
How much further would his head travel than his feet?

I am not going to answer this question right now...but there IS a legitimate answer to the question...and a legitimate method to getting the answer.

I'll give you a hint:
I could tell you the answer, and teach you to puke it up on demand...but what would you do now, if I asked the same question...but, this time, it was a five-foot-tall woman? Could you answer it then?

The teacher who teaches the METHOD...his/her students could. The teacher who teaches only to the test...his/her students couldn't.

And that is the problem with these standardized tests that are supposed to grade a good teacher versus a not-so-good teacher.

The great teacher makes their subject interesting, so that his/her students pay attention and learn. The way in which a teaches does this could be many and varied.

Just as an example, have a look at this:
Darth Vader Explains the Pythagorean Theorem - TeacherTube
Oh please.

I don't know one of my students who couldn't figure that problem out. And there is certainly more than one way to solve that problem.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
The great teacher makes their subject interesting, so that his/her students pay attention and learn. The way in which a teaches does this could be many and varied.

Just as an example, have a look at this:
Darth Vader Explains the Pythagorean Theorem - TeacherTube
How is that example interesting or great?

It does not teach the derivation of the Pythagorean theorem. It simply gives one example with a movie character the kids may like, but it is in no way great teaching. It's more entertainment than education.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM

914 posts, read 943,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How is that example interesting or great?

It does not teach the derivation of the Pythagorean theorem. It simply gives one example with a movie character the kids may like, but it is in no way great teaching. It's more entertainment than education.
The teacher in this case may have made it INTERESTING to the students, thus making them more likely to retain the information.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:38 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually, most of them probably were taught critical thinking at the elementary school level. At least in this country. I'd guess the same would be true for the scientists educated in Germany. Learning/teaching the multiplication table in those days is a given.
Nah, not really. I was there then, and in a fairly forward-looking elementary school. There wasn't really a concept of "critical thinking." It was all "learn the basics solidly."

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-22-2013 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,767 times
At the beginning of this thread, I stated that the rhetoric of "failing schools" took off with NCLB and the thread still kind of went in that direction. Overall, it's been really interesting to read various teacher beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Uncle Sam picked the best and the brightest for the space program and teachers in those days taught a great deal more than the elementary school teachers of today.
Please back this up. I see the idea of the golden age of education stated a lot and coupled with the concept of "failing" schools. It's pretty easy to make it seem like there was magical age where teachers were educational wizards when nearly every other country is still recovering from WWII besides the US and/or countries were just beginning the process of modernization. There were several international assessments in math and science given in the 60's and then readministered later that found that US students were mid table performers(just like now!), but for some reason, this narrative about "failing schools" and the US losing its economic advantage keeps getting peddled. The US was an economic and creative giant back then and the US will continue to be an economic and creative giant. Meanwhile minority students and those in poverty keep getting the shaft as we continue our hyper focus on scores instead of addressing the structural issues and power differences that allow these things to persist.

And let's not mistake any of that to mean that we should throw our hands up and do nothing until something is done about it. There are little small things that we can do to better ourselves as professionals and empower our students and their families like valuing their contributions no matter how small or applying for a grant to use in the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education