Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,735 times

Advertisements

The schools have no legal right to paddle. only 21 states still paddle. USA is only country to allow it still. go to [URL="http://www.thehittingstopshere.com"]www.thehittingstopshere.com[/URL]

if you live in a paddling state help us bring it to a end. Kids being sent to the hospital is wrong. It's not the schools place to discipling and i yet to see kids do anything thats bad enough to get hit with a hunk of wood.

rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
the school corporation i attended stopped paddling children in 1984.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:03 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,717 times
I think paddling is cruel and humiliating. There are other ways to discipline a child.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Paddling does nothing and is pointless in straightening out behavior. It's those communities around the US who are small towns and behind the rest of the country who still use it. They need to get with the program lol

Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
I remember a specific incident , in Junior High, where a known bully came into the locker room after Gym class and snapped a frail kid on hiss butt with a wet towel. Dropped him like a hot rock and drew blood. The coach grabbed the puke and stood him against the wall and the WHOLE class got a shot with a wet towel on his rear. Changed his entire outlook ...for the better. There are times when life has to hurt for character to build properly. One hard lesson is better than allowing a kid to run amok. Punishment should suit the offense. Not every infraction deserves corporal status but there are certainly times that a good ol' fashioned "young man peach tree" are in order.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 23,594 times
Lightbulb To spank or not to spank

YES !!!!!! I believe that if schools would get back to the paddle alot of b.s. would stop !!! I have children in school and I work in school !!!! This is the laziest, most self centered of all generations....and we have ourselves to thank for that cuz "we" are too lazy to spank our children, TOO AFRAID THAT THEY WON'T LIKE US ANYMORE...(GASP)..... and have them understand consequence....immmediate consequence... I do, however, believe that if the paddle is to be used....it should only be by the principal and that the parent must be present....but, yes !!!! Even God Almighty says "Spare the rod...Spoil the child"....look around yourselves...this generation is made up of alot of lazy brats who think the world owes them something !!! IT'S OUR OWN FAULT THE WAY THIS GENERATION IS TURNING OUT !!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM

My point exactly !!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
If anything, children are more childish and irresponsible. They lack any vision and discipline. All their interested in is in themselves and wanting to be the next cool thing ever. I say bring back the paddles, although i was on the recieving end of a Caine (Stick) didnt like it much but the pain made you re-evaluate your actions and enforced self descipline.

Since they started going soft on these kids, what do you end up with? rampant bullying, suicides, shooting/killing fellow students, drop outs.

Teenagers who before they enlisted in the military brought up issues whereby they just couldnt focus on the important factors that goes with studying, they lacked drive and the constant partying through the weekends just took over. Only when they came back from a tour of duty did they learn how to focus and drive to come back to school and finish off their education.

So, whats more painful? the paddle or the amount of lives lost from Full metal (bullets) flying around campuses?
I JUST HAVE TO LOVE YOU FOR TELLING IT LIKE IT IS !!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_bear View Post
i do not believe in paddling children. Paddling is legal in fl, but most of the local school districts have policies which forbid paddling. I don't put much stock in the list posted earlier in this thread because although it is legal in many states, i belive most school districts have forbidden it.

Imo paddling a child is lazy. It's easy to teach a 5 year old to listen to you because you are bigger than him and you can hurt him. It's difficult to teach a 5 year old to behave because behaving is the right thing to do. It takes much more effort to do the latter than the former (i speak as a parent and an educator).

The goal of discipline is not for the adult to control the child, but for the child to learn to control himself. The root of the word discipline comes from the word disciple, or student. The purpose of discipline is for the child to learn, not for the child to fear. It takes more effort, and more patience, on the part of the adult to teach a child self control. At some point a child is to old/large to be beaten and needs to be able to control himself rather than to be controlled by fear of beatings. These are skills that need to be learned at a young age, not when a child is a teenager.
see ????? No one said beat the children...spanking and beating are two totally different things...and spanking should not be done when one is angry...ever !!!~ but never beat anyone !!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do not believe in paddling children. Paddling is legal in FL, but most of the local school districts have policies which forbid paddling. I don't put much stock in the list posted earlier in this thread because although it is legal in many states, I belive most school districts have forbidden it.

IMO paddling a child is lazy. It's easy to teach a 5 year old to listen to you because you are bigger than him and you can hurt him. It's difficult to teach a 5 year old to behave because behaving is the right thing to do. It takes much more effort to do the latter than the former (I speak as a parent AND an educator).

The goal of discipline is not for the adult to control the child, but for the child to learn to control himself. The root of the word discipline comes from the word disciple, or student. The purpose of discipline is for the child to learn, not for the child to fear. It takes more effort, and more patience, on the part of the adult to teach a child self control. At some point a child is to old/large to be beaten and needs to be able to control himself rather than to be controlled by fear of beatings. These are skills that need to be learned at a young age, NOT when a child is a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Discipline does not equal hitting. Discipline means teaching a child to learn how to behave. Hitting is not the only way to discipline a child. If you don't spend the time teaching a child to control himself then he NEVER LEARNS. If you never discipline a child he will not learn to behave. But it can be done without hitting.

A child does not need abstract reasoning skills to learn to behave. Discipline needs to be consistent, and have some tie to what the child did wrong to be effective. This does not require high level thinking skills on the part of a child and needs to start long before the child is 6'3" tall to be effective.
Are you SERIOUS ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education