Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:00 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think it's like any other thing that you deal with as a parent/educator. Getting out of control is not a good thing for the kids or for the adult involved. It does happen sometimes though, even though people don't want it to happen. People are not perfect. The difference is that while screaming out of control is unpleasant, it will not ever damage the child the way an out of control beating might, especially if the beating is administered by a man.
I am not sure I understand the end of your post here. Are you saying that women aren't strong enough to hurt a child, or that men are more likely to be out of control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Well said momma bear, my thoughts exactly (we don't yell either).
I try not to yell. I can't say I am 100% successful. I don't yell most of the time.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
I am not sure I understand the end of your post here. Are you saying that women aren't strong enough to hurt a child, or that men are more likely to be out of control?
I am sorry that I was not as clear as I could be.

Women can cetainly get out of control (ask my dh!!). I believe women are strong enough to damage small children (although I'm sure my 13 year old son can kick my ass!!). What I was trying to say is that IF a man got out of control the potential for serious damage is greater due to a man's greater stregnth.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:36 PM

268 posts, read 1,015,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think it's like any other thing that you deal with as a parent/educator. Getting out of control is not a good thing for the kids or for the adult involved. It does happen sometimes though, even though people don't want it to happen. People are not perfect. The difference is that while screaming out of control is unpleasant, it will not ever damage the child the way an out of control beating might, especially if the beating is administered by a man.
I completely disagree. Words can cut a soul just as deeply as a beating.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,285 times
I went to grade school in the '70s where kids were paddled by both nuns and teachers -- until they cried -- for something as simple as not getting homework signed once. They seemed to have something against the boys, who weren't bad kids. Coincidence that these kids would turn into hoodlums and drug addicts when they got older? They had good, strict parents, but the humiliation must have had some effect, for they turned rebellious and had to be "tough guys". Having some woman paddle them in front of the entire class for mundane slip-ups must have done something! Fear and respect should be two different things.

In high school, there were teachers you just did NOT step out of line with -- ever. But they never needed to be rough and tough to be respected. Myself, I had much better grades in high school because teachers were strict, yet more human.

We got The Belt at home if we did something really deserving, rare though. Soap in The Mouth fixed us real good too when we should have known better before we blurted something. We were faaaaar from "abused".

Bad news when a teacher -- anybody -- is laying a hand on somebody else's kid. Hard enough keeping the kids from sparring with each other!

Edit to add: I had a teacher in the 4th grade who smashed my face against a blackboard because a division problem stumped me. To this day, I have a tough time just trying (or just don't want to know) when I need to utilize division. I get totally blocked -- blanked -- like my brain freezes and I can't think of anything.

Last edited by Travel'r; 01-01-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
If a teacher needs to use a paddle to get discipline in the classroom, then teaching is probably not the right profession for them.

If a teacher (or parent) spanks a child, why should a child not hit another kid? Do as I say, not as I do does not work at any age level and I personally would never want to have a child around an adult with such lack of control.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If a teacher needs to use a paddle to get discipline in the classroom, then teaching is probably not the right profession for them.
If a teacher (or parent) spanks a child, why should a child not hit another kid? Do as I say, not as I do does not work at any age level and I personally would never want to have a child around an adult with such lack of control.

Ironic you say that. Theres a huge shortage for qualified teachers. A few states are resorting to hirring from overseas

Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,124,361 times
Corporal punishment is acceptable in our school district. As a teacher, I have never been asked by a principal to use a paddle, which for the record if directed to do so I would refuse. Also, I would be livid if my 6 year old received a paddling at school. IMO that type of punishment is not appropriate for a learning environment. Education should not be equated with pain. But, then I also would never hand out a reading or writing assignment as a punishment - to me that conveys that the activity should be dreaded.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM

139 posts, read 375,551 times
Default I don't think it would work :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Paddling should be done for the kids who are very, very bad.

Not in the "kissing someone on the bus" way, because that's beyond silly (I can tell you, I've kissed many girls on the back of the bus as a kid, haha). I think it should be reserved for kids who fight, kids who threaten other kids with bodily harm (plus suspension), etc, etc. It's all about the situation. Kid who curses at a teacher should be paddled. Kid who doesn't turn in homework all week shouldn't.
As a highschool student, I can honestly say that I really don't think paddling would affect the way students my age behave. I bet that if a teacher tried to paddle a student, he/she wouldn't let the teacher near them.
I also think it could lead to sexual assult problems... any student paddled by a teacher could later falsely accuse the teacher and claim that he/she did something innappropriate during the paddling or something of the sort.
AND, I wouldn't let a teacher near my ass AT ALL - no matter what - I'd prefer suspension/detention/saturday school/parent teacher meeting - ANYTHING that would keep a person away from my butt. xD lol

Old 01-02-2008, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 13,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Paddling should be done for the kids who are very, very bad.

Not in the "kissing someone on the bus" way, because that's beyond silly (I can tell you, I've kissed many girls on the back of the bus as a kid, haha). I think it should be reserved for kids who fight, kids who threaten other kids with bodily harm (plus suspension), etc, etc. It's all about the situation. Kid who curses at a teacher should be paddled. Kid who doesn't turn in homework all week shouldn't.

I agree. Kissing on the bus is definitely not a paddling crime. Paddling only needs to be used for the more serious disruptions...of whatever kind. I think their needs to be accountability for the children and the adults. Paddling for some of the examples we have heard should have gotten a teacher a suspension or some other reprimand. The point isn't to hurt the child or scare them, but to discipline..to keep some kind of authority...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education