Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Yea and you had to walk up hill both ways through an avalanche in the middle of a hurricane.

School I went to was like many of it's era -- no AC, but those funky windows that open out. The ones we all wanted open for the fresh air when it rained. Sometime in the late 60s when I was about 5th grade, they built new classrooms. Those didn't have windows at all, except for a single escape door in each room. Those classrooms did have AC. But they were really depressing to be in. We were told the reason for no windows had nothing to do with energy efficiency (heck back then no one had even heard of the term "energy efficiency" but so the kids wouldn't waste time gazing out the windows. So that's why they had AC.

And at the time we didn't start school until after Labor and got out before Memorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Stores, churches and cars didn't used to have it either. I don't hear anyone complaining that they do now.
Churches have ac?!

Old 05-01-2015, 05:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Stores, churches and cars didn't used to have it either. I don't hear anyone complaining that they do now.
That ^^ really doesn't make sense. Air conditioning used to be only for the fairly well off people so it was the norm not to have it. People also didn't complain because they didn't have a microwave/dvd/Roku, etc. I remember many nights as a kid having a hard time sleeping because I was hot and the box fan wasn't cutting it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Grew up in south Florida. Every public school I attended had A/C. For context, I'm 54. I'm sure A/C was more standard there since you'd literally die in the summer without it.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
The middle school I went to had air conditioning in the late 80s. The windows were tiny, though! My elementary school and high school did not have air conditioning. That was in Connecticut. I have no idea if the schools up there have a/c now.

I live in Florida and of course everything has central air, including the schools.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
In elementary school, there was this lonnnggg pole with a hook on the end. You inserted the hook into a slot at the top of the window to open and close it. That was our air conditioning.

It was surprising that no birds, bees, or pterodactyls flew in, but that was probably because they knew that a 1950s nun was inside and they didn't want any part of that.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:38 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Grew up in south Florida. Every public school I attended had A/C. For context, I'm 54. I'm sure A/C was more standard there since you'd literally die in the summer without it.
Literally? There are many, many people that live in areas without A/C that continue living despite not having air conditioning.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:39 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
All of my schools have had it... I'm in my 30's... so at least since 1980's in many parts.

Even the old Elementary school I went to WAY out in the boondocks had AC. I attended public school from Florida up to Virginia.. been in many of them and each of them have had AC (and heat).

Old 05-01-2015, 06:56 AM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
In Los Angeles A/C started coming in the 60s and expanding after the rebuilding following the 1971 Sylmar earthquake. The entire design went from those large school windows which were needed for the occaisional triple digit temperature days to the prison wall look where a small space capsule window could not be cracked if the system failed.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Both of the elementary schools I attended in the '70s were constructed in 1920, and neither had a/c. They were demolished shortly after I left and replaced with modern structures. The junior high and high school I attended were recently completed and had a/c. All of my children's schools have had a/c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education