Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:05 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I heard that school was cancelled because the A/C was on the fritz. Huh?

When did A/C start in schools? Shux, I went to a high falutin' Catholic high school whose tuition my parents couldn't afford -- but they sacrificed and managed somehow -- and it didn't have A/C. Same with my college even in summer session.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my edification began in 1949 (kindergarten) to June 1966 ) college graduation) when even most middle class residences didn't have A/C.

Guess I'm behind the times.
I know I didn't have AC in the 80s and early 90s but then again I didn't have summer school. Still hot though with just a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
OP, you are behind the times (as you suggest).

Whether school systems have AC depends on whether residents in those towns want the school systems to have AC. In my town, no one minds paying extra taxes for AC or other modern technologies to facilitate learning.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:29 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
Often it is less about student or teacher comfort than it is about keeping computer equipment cool!

Once you are installing forced hot air, you might as well go for the AC as well.

LoL, I can't think of a school I've attended or worked in or ANY large building I've ever spent considerable time it that didn't have constant HVAC issues of one kind or another.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:56 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes.

It's true.

Education has change in the past quarter century. In related news, they now use calculators instead of slide rules.

And guess what? Your education also differed from that which went half a century before it. And I have little doubt that there were educators and parents and simply members of the old-is-always-better peanut gallery from that era who rolled their eyes because - pass the smelling salts, please - educational methods had changed. And surely, in the year 2065 there were be those sneering because, heaven forbid, school policies will be different from today.

Myself, I've seen change. When I was in school in the 1970s and 1980s in southern Minnesota schools never closed because of cold. Snow, yes - if the buses can't run, they can't run. But cold? Never. Not once. And I recall walking to school one morning when the temperature was -34F. Not anymore. Now, and I live in the same school district where I was once educated, the cut-off is -20F.

But I don't cop the silly attitude that this must be wrong just because in my day it was different.
Yes, 1n 2065, students will grade themselves ... oh wait, hasn't that already begun?

At any rate, I hope my silly attitude didn't elevate your blood pressure too much.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:41 AM

19,121 posts, read 25,320,104 times
The OP might want to consider that, in the early 20th Century, there were people who questioned the necessity for schools to have that new-fangled concept--indoor plumbing.

After all, older folks received an education without benefit of toilets, or sinks with hot running water. If stinky fly-ridden outhouses and a lack of hand-washing facilities were okay for them, then certainly nobody else should have the benefit of those facilities in their schools!

If the OP's reasoning is similar to the folks who opposed indoor plumbing for schools, perhaps he/she will now realize that...
times change...and people should be able to enjoy modern conveniences in schools, just as they do in their homes.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:11 AM

6,581 posts, read 4,968,631 times
I'd prefer to have the option to open windows no matter what the weather. My allergies went away after I stopped working in buildings that have sealed windows

Old 05-02-2015, 12:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I heard that school was cancelled because the A/C was on the fritz. Huh?

When did A/C start in schools? Shux, I went to a high falutin' Catholic high school whose tuition my parents couldn't afford -- but they sacrificed and managed somehow -- and it didn't have A/C. Same with my college even in summer session.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my edification began in 1949 (kindergarten) to June 1966 ) college graduation) when even most middle class residences didn't have A/C.

Guess I'm behind the times.
I must ask: do you now have a/c in your home and/or workplace?

Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times
Shoot forget A/C. When did they put in electricity???

Old 05-02-2015, 01:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,711 times
I've never worked in a school with a/c (WA, NM, HI, MN, IA) and I haven't had a home with a/c (add NM and IL to that list), but I did have a swamp cooler in one house, and I never lived in the valley A few of the schools did have a/c in the office only (not the classrooms). I try to avoid living in the real hot zones, but growing up in Chicago area with such hot summers and no a/c was torturous.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Wake up. It's the year 2015, not the year 1815. This is not "Little House on the Prairie" and I'm not Laura Ingalls.
Laura Ingalls was from a part of the country where it's STILL not essential to have air conditioning in all but the hottest months of the year (when school is not typically in session) - and, really, while it's convenient to have the option then, it's still not truly necessary...just doesn't get that hot. I went to college there (fairly recently, NOT years and years ago), and none of the residence halls were air conditioned or needed to be.

Shockingly, there ARE parts of the country where air conditioning is not a real necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education