Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I worked in Naples public schools until 5 years ago. All schools had AC, but Florida gets very HOT. Actually, if the outside temp got over 95 degrees (not unheard of), outdoor recess was cancelled. Kids could get heatstroke running around outside in that. On one of those days a Coach took the temp on the basketball court which was 125 degrees. No children should be playing basketball in that heat.
I agree and there were policies in place to make sure kids didn't suffer from heat stroke. I can remember reports of people without A/C dying from heat stroke occasionally in South Florida. And giveaways of fans to try and help them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:03 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Literally? There are many, many people that live in areas without A/C that continue living despite not having air conditioning.
Yes, literally. People die every summer from heat stroke. It all depends on where you live and how hot it gets. New England summers are very different than those in Florida.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:10 AM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I heard that school was cancelled because the A/C was on the fritz. Huh?

When did A/C start in schools? Shux, I went to a high falutin' Catholic high school whose tuition my parents couldn't afford -- but they sacrificed and managed somehow -- and it didn't have A/C. Same with my college even in summer session.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my edification began in 1949 (kindergarten) to June 1966 ) college graduation) when even most middle class residences didn't have A/C.

Guess I'm behind the times.
I think that was back when they stopped making kids walk to school 5 miles in the snow with no shoes and no coat.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I have to say, these two posts crack me up. So it's for the benefit of the equipment, not the students and staff, that some schools air-condition? Oh, well.
Schools spend millions of dollars on equipment. Do you think they have budgets to replace these items annually or monthly?

Depending on where you are, it can be ridiculously hot in the summer and other months. When I lived in SC, I was appalled that the school buses didn't have a/c. Those children were stuck on them for over an hour quite often. Where we lived, the 100+ degree days sometimes started the end of April. They had those 100+ days during May and August when school was in session. Add the body heat of hundreds of people, and you've got an oven!

Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Schools spend millions of dollars on equipment. Do you think they have budgets to replace these items annually or monthly?

Depending on where you are, it can be ridiculously hot in the summer and other months. When I lived in SC, I was appalled that the school buses didn't have a/c. Those children were stuck on them for over an hour quite often. Where we lived, the 100+ degree days sometimes started the end of April. They had those 100+ days during May and August when school was in session. Add the body heat of hundreds of people, and you've got an oven!
Whereas kids are quite replaceable! A little heatstroke doesn't cost anything to treat, and the comfort of the teachers is irrelevant!

I agree with the latter part of your post; I just think it's funny that in some districts no one cared until they got all this equipment that was heat sensitive.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Whereas kids are quite replaceable! A little heatstroke doesn't cost anything to treat, and the comfort of the teachers is irrelevant!

I agree with the latter part of your post; I just think it's funny that in some districts no one cared until they got all this equipment that was heat sensitive.
In some areas (like the Northeast), it doesn't get extremely hot and they still have air conditioning for the computer labs, offices, and library. My high school was like that. Only the last 2 or 3 weeks of school were normally in the 90's. Sometimes there would be a week in September where it was in the 90's. But our school was built with windows that opened and allowed for cross ventilation. We were on top of a huge hill and almost always had a nice breeze.

Now when I lived in SC, I thought I was about to melt and die just walking out to my mailbox. I honestly don't know how anyone lived down there before air conditioning was invented!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
The school district where I grew up (southern CA) is just now putting it in, and it's a several year project.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
In elementary school, there was this lonnnggg pole with a hook on the end. You inserted the hook into a slot at the top of the window to open and close it. That was our air conditioning.

It was surprising that no birds, bees, or pterodactyls flew in, but that was probably because they knew that a 1950s nun was inside and they didn't want any part of that.
That was our air conditioning, too, and we loved when we got chosen to be the ones to open and close the windows.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Yep...upper midwest, AC is nice, but not generally a necessity.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
For the most part...Late 60s to early 70s.

I lived in Northern Africa in the Libyan desert in the early 60s. Very few places there had AC and we were military. The house we lived in didn't have it and my ES didn't. Do I have to mention it gets hotter there than anywhere in the USA?

I then lived in south TX. The houses we lived in had heat but no AC. The church had 6' fans suspended from the ceiling until they built new modern behemoth sans windows.

The various schools I attended in the 60s had no AC until they started building new ones. I remember the trailers schools used for overflow before building new schools...they were cooled and heated better than the school. We prayed we had trailer classes.

I attended a run down JH school for a year during which they built a new one nearer me which looked like a prison. Each class room had one window; it resembled a slit for gunfire or firing arrows through. The early 70s public school systems wanted us to get used to that style of architecture for some reason.

I am amused by the comments made by those who say their schools of the 80s all had AC. If not brand new they were the schools baby boomers went to in the 70s.

Remember the stores that had stickers near the handle with a cartoon of a penguin proclaiming "It's Kool inside!" ?

As far as I am concerned weather has not changed as much as we have come to expect creature comforts such as HVAC systems in every structure we enter.

This place doesn't have AC? It's 80 degrees out and I'm dying.

I wonder how we lived through it all 40-50 years ago?

If I remember correctly, we had blackboards and chalk in every classroom. Some of us had to knock the dust from the erasers and/or wipe down the chalkboard with a damp cloth every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education