Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:11 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I must ask: do you now have a/c in your home and/or workplace?
Yes at home, but in 1965 -- still living with moms and pops -- my parents had only a window unit in the "club basement" where we spent 95% of waking hours. Bedtime relied on a Hunter window fan which did a good job, even in humid Baltimore.

At the career workplace, central A/C all 30 years. At the large retail food store where I worked part-time during college years, no A/C.

No A/C in army barracks. I guess now you're gonna tell me that the army barracks today there's A/C, even during basic training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Often it is less about student or teacher comfort than it is about keeping computer equipment cool!

Once you are installing forced hot air, you might as well go for the AC as well.

LoL, I can't think of a school I've attended or worked in or ANY large building I've ever spent considerable time it that didn't have constant HVAC issues of one kind or another.
I hear what you're saying, but it's really funny to me that the equipment drives the decision, not the comfort of the students/teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Laura Ingalls was from a part of the country where it's STILL not essential to have air conditioning in all but the hottest months of the year (when school is not typically in session) - and, really, while it's convenient to have the option then, it's still not truly necessary...just doesn't get that hot. I went to college there (fairly recently, NOT years and years ago), and none of the residence halls were air conditioned or needed to be.

Shockingly, there ARE parts of the country where air conditioning is not a real necessity.
Where is this? Most places (homes) in Minneapolis have some sort of A/C. My son-in-law works at home, and keeps it running all the time. School, even in MN, is not a 9 months and out situation any more. Many schools have summer sessions.

My daughter wen to college in MN; the students were told to bring a fan for use in September when it was still hot, because the dorms were not air-conditioned. Coming from Colorado, she found the heat/humidity very uncomfortable. When I went to college, many years ago, in Pittsburgh, not a particularly hot city but very humid, the only dorms open in the summer were the newer ones that were air-conditioned.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
No A/C in army barracks. I guess now you're gonna tell me that the army barracks today there's A/C, even during basic training.
Not in Navy barracks, at least, not the ones my husband operated.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Where is this?
I went to college in the MPLS area. No AC in residence halls, and not necessary. School year was from Sept-May.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I went to college in the MPLS area. No AC in residence halls, and not necessary. School year was from Sept-May.
That is where my DD was too. September could be hot and humid.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:20 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is where my DD was too. September could be hot and humid.
My late wife's from the Seattle area where it's generally "coolish." I guess it's similar to London England.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,641,644 times
The only AC in the schools I went to was in the principal's office.
So all the times I was in hot water I was cool.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Schools built before AC were built to have a draft. The design of the building had attributes built in to help keep the building cooler inside than outside in hot weather. Building built with AC are built heavily insulated and with very limited draft, if any at all. Some of these buildings don't have Windows that open. Without AC, the bodies of students and teachers will increase the temperature inside to well over 100 degrees and with high humidity levels from sweat and breath. Even if Windows could be opened, it's not designed to let out heat while drawing in cooler air. I went to a school built before AC and one built with AC. When power went out, the one built with AC got hot fast. By the time we could leave to go home, going outside in 95 degree heat felt like a cool breeze. At the old school, no matter how hot it was in the school, it was far hotter outside.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:22 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
You also have to remember that local and state building codes may require a new or newly renovated public building must have AC included at the time it's built or renovated. In some cases the requirement even includes specific details like rate of air exchange and MERV filter rating depending on building purpose.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:01 PM

28 posts, read 25,915 times
I've never gone to a school without AC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education