Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:09 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I heard that school was cancelled because the A/C was on the fritz. Huh?

When did A/C start in schools? Shux, I went to a high falutin' Catholic high school whose tuition my parents couldn't afford -- but they sacrificed and managed somehow -- and it didn't have A/C. Same with my college even in summer session.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my edification began in 1949 (kindergarten) to June 1966 ) college graduation) when even most middle class residences didn't have A/C.

Guess I'm behind the times.
Yes.

It's true.

Education has change in the past quarter century. In related news, they now use calculators instead of slide rules.

And guess what? Your education also differed from that which went half a century before it. And I have little doubt that there were educators and parents and simply members of the old-is-always-better peanut gallery from that era who rolled their eyes because - pass the smelling salts, please - educational methods had changed. And surely, in the year 2065 there were be those sneering because, heaven forbid, school policies will be different from today.

Myself, I've seen change. When I was in school in the 1970s and 1980s in southern Minnesota schools never closed because of cold. Snow, yes - if the buses can't run, they can't run. But cold? Never. Not once. And I recall walking to school one morning when the temperature was -34F. Not anymore. Now, and I live in the same school district where I was once educated, the cut-off is -20F.

But I don't cop the silly attitude that this must be wrong just because in my day it was different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 02:50 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Many can claim to the contrary, but face it, people WERE tougher years ago.

My folks lived on the farm their entire life without A/C and didn't miss it. When I sold my first house I brought them my window air conditioner as the new house I was moving to had central air. This was 1983 and they were both in their 60's.

People saved their money and did without rather then incurring unnecessary debt. Nowadays we would just "DIE" if we didn't have the latest and greatest IPhone. When it comes to materialism, todays millenials put Madonna to shame.

In the northern states, it still is somewhat optional having A/C in the classrooms. In older buildings open the windows and most the time everyone will be just fine for the few weeks out of the year when school is in session and it's really hot. However, it's crazy if any newer construction during the last 25 or 30 years don't have it.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:38 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
I think we maybe had some fans in the 1990s. I'm just thankful we had heat.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:45 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Many can claim to the contrary, but face it, people WERE tougher years ago.

My folks lived on the farm their entire life without A/C and didn't miss it. When I sold my first house I brought them my window air conditioner as the new house I was moving to had central air. This was 1983 and they were both in their 60's.

People saved their money and did without rather then incurring unnecessary debt. Nowadays we would just "DIE" if we didn't have the latest and greatest IPhone. When it comes to materialism, todays millenials put Madonna to shame.

In the northern states, it still is somewhat optional having A/C in the classrooms. In older buildings open the windows and most the time everyone will be just fine for the few weeks out of the year when school is in session and it's really hot. However, it's crazy if any newer construction during the last 25 or 30 years don't have it.
I agree that people who lived through the 1930s and 1940s were tougher. But unfortunately, those people are quickly dying off.

But no one had "debt" because no one had "credit." In many ways the biggest change of "our times" is not the Internet as most might think, it's the easy access to loans and credit card.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

It was surprising that no birds, bees, or pterodactyls flew in...

It was late in the school year in 6th grade when we were having band rehearsal one afternoon. All of a sudden, OUR FRIEND BILLY WENT BERSERK!!!, yelling and ripping at his shirt while trying to get rid of his saxophone without damaging it. When he finally got his shirt off and calmed down, it turned out that he had been dive-bombed by a wasp that flew right down the front of his shirt and started stinging him.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:39 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
I went to the best public school system in the country, in the wealthiest per-capita county, Montgomery County, Maryland. I did not attend a school with air conditioning until High School. We knew the end of the school year was coming because the windows of the classrooms were open, you could hear lawn mowers going, smell trees blossoming, it was a nice feeling. Maryland is hot and humid in the summer, yet we survived somehow...

Old 05-01-2015, 07:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
.. Maryland is hot and humid in the summer, yet we survived somehow...

Probably because school wasn't in session for June, July and August. Even on hot days, school usually ended around 2ish PM, just when it started getting warm indoors.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
in 1980 they was only one school in the county that had a/c. then around that time teachers was buying their own window units

Old 05-01-2015, 10:49 PM

424 posts, read 381,990 times
They don't.......

Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,320 times
Wake up. It's the year 2015, not the year 1815. This is not "Little House on the Prairie" and I'm not Laura Ingalls.

Being hot is very uncomfortable. We now have the means to no longer have to be hot. I say hook the things up and let's go. I have no desire to prove how "tough" I am by suffering unnecessarily just to prove some silly point. No, thank you.

And no, I don't care that "we somehow got along without it." We also got along without cars, do you want to walk everywhere? We also got along fine without any phones, much less cellular phones or especially smartphones. Should be go phoneless? How about Tampons? Epidurals vs natural births? Aspirin for headaches? Cushioning in chairs? Running water? Word processing computers vs typewriters? Heck, typewriters weren't always electric. We used to have to use a feather & a bowl of ink vs simply grabbing a pen, should we prove how "tough" we are by throwing away our ball-point pens and using a feather and bowl of ink? I mean, people used to do it that way, somehow they made it. Heck, why not stop there, maybe we should prove how "tough" we are by carving our writings into tablets using a hammer? We used to get along fine without a McDonald's or Wendy's, how about let's shut those places down?

Polio used to kill people, simple infections used to mean you'd lose a leg or even die. We didn't always have deodorants, shaving cream, hot water on demand (besides having running water), people "got along fine" having to drive into town to pay their bills vs paying them online. Should be go back to 8-track tapes? For that matter, how about going back to the original "records" that proceeded the records you think of?

Gee whiz people. Air conditioning is a wonderful invention. Let's use it. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education